Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: strawintogold on April 15, 2009, 07:27:25 PM
Ray,

I don't beleive you. I think it's only fair and just that you send the guitar to me post haste to prove your point.

holly (who has been staring at the pic for like two minutes)
Holly,

If you're ever in my neck of the woods, it would be my pleasure to have you spend as much time as you'd like with any of my guitars :cheers

I think you'd leave a believer :winkin:

~ Ray ~
Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

Quote from: Dotneck on April 15, 2009, 07:27:19 PM

Interesting thought about the sample size. They aren't very exclusive....but I have a Forum I in whch the run is about 17 pieces. I've got a secret for you. It doesn't play or sound any better because there are fewer of them out there.

You're absolutely right, but the rarity was going to be one of the selling points for me versus, say, buying a higher-end used guitar for the same price.  It's all good...

So I got the guitar yesterday!  Spruce/Hog with a cutaway.  I was struck right away by how light it is.  The top is considerably whiter than my L-03R, which was to be expected.  I did find a flaw towards the bottom of the rosette - a black mark that looks like it was possibly part of the inlay process.  No matter.

It's going to take me a few more days to evaluate it.  I generally don't like the sound of brand-new strings, and this was no exception.  I feel like I'm hearing the metallic strings rather than the, ummm, "woody" wood at this point.  A few things did jump out at me.  The size of the guitar is great - it fits in my lap better than the L-03R even though I'm a tall guy.  It seems to play a little smoother than the L-03R, as well.   Fingerstyle blues licks seems to come out a little clearer.  That may be the setup, but regardless I like that aspect of it.  I'm very glad I got the cutaway.  Already I've found myself needing the extra frets, and I love how it looks.  The non-cutaway version would have looked too much like a slightly smaller version of my L-03R (though with Hog instead of RW, of course.)

I'm really impressed with the bass from this guitar.  Actually, it may be more than I was looking for.  The L-03R fingerpicks well, but the bass can overpower the mids and trebels easily if I'm not careful.  I'm finding the same thing with the F-III.  I'm still trying to determine if the EXP strings are the 80/20s or the PBs.  If they're the PBs, I'll likely switch to the 80/20s for a little added brightness. 

The thing strums and flatpicks extremely well, which surprised me a little.  That said, I'm finding that the clarity of some chord progressions is better on my L-03R than the F-III at this point.  That could be a lot of things - the PB strings, the fact that I'm not used to coated strings or the fact that the F-III has only been played an hour or so and hasn't settled in.  Jury's still out on that.  I'd really like to try some D'Addario uncoated 80/20s on it.

More impressions, including pics, to come!

Thanks to all who made this happen. 

Adam

#22 arrived yesterday. Excellent set-up. Played it for about 2 hours... excellent sound and very light weight!  I've attached a few photos (BTW, the wires inside are for an iMix that I had installed.... battery cable is not yet connected).

Very nice instrument and very very resonant!

Ron

[attachment deleted by admin]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ron McFarland
highervista

After a typical carry on with customs, I finally managed to find a decent person at parcelforce who fastracked customs payments,and made arrangements for me to go and collect my forum III #5 from the depot.  I have only managed to play it for about 5 minutes - it has been one of those days.  Full report on sound and feel later on.  Here are some teaser pics.  I'll do some better ones in due course.  Sorry if you are getting fed up of pics, but I am excited about this guitar.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

2 more - the top and back are fantastic looking, but the sides look like flames, bright red and orange stripes - it is quite striking!

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Ben, your guitar looks fantastic... Keep the visuals coming!
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

Quote from: highervista on April 16, 2009, 10:19:53 AM
#22 arrived yesterday. Excellent set-up. Played it for about 2 hours... excellent sound and very light weight!  I've attached a few photos (BTW, the wires inside are for an iMix that I had installed.... battery cable is not yet connected).

Ron

Hey - that's the virtual twin of my #26.  Only difference is yours has the HB purfling. 

:nice guitar:

Ben, your guitar is just gorgeous...

Can't wait for mine IS/RW
Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

Ben, that RW is the most striking I've seen yet. WOW.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Ben,

Congratulations!  Man that guitar looks great.  So much different than the unfinished state it was in during the tour.  I love the sides. 

Glad you got it!  Enjoy!!!! and thanks for sharing the photos.  Never enough photos of guitars!

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

A few more pics of #22....
BTW.... great sounding instrument!!!
Ron

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ron McFarland
highervista

Quote from: highervista on April 16, 2009, 10:19:53 AM

Ron

:nice guitar: :nice guitar:

I'm loving the cutaway and HB combo.  BEAUTIFUL!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Ben, I am so thrilled for you. See, I told you that you had nothing to worry about! By the way, where's my email?  :humour:

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Ron (HigherVista)

I love the looks of your guitar, and the cutaway with the HB purfling looks great.  After you get going, I would love to hear an example of that guitar with the Imix.  I had Jim put in just the iBeam, and I am getting that dialed in.

Congrats and thanks for posting the photos.  I would love to hear more sound samples of these Forum III's

Enjoy!
FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

Well, I've had a wee while to enjoy my forum III at last.  Been a hectic day, and I feel rotton with a bug of some kind.  I have two days holiday today and tomorrow - typical to feel rotton on your day off!!  The 130 mile round trip to the depot at about 90mph made me feel a whole lot worse too, but better than waiting until monday for delivery!!

First impressions were slightly odd.  The neck is a bit chunkier than my OM-03, and the shape of the 12 fret was a little strange (never even played one before!).  An hour of playing though and it just feels great.  Jim has done a great job with the setup - plays really easily.  The volume IS amazing, as others have said.  It defies the size of the guitar.  Bass is much stronger than my OM-03, and the warmth from strumming is great.  Some have said these are great for fingerstyle, and others say they need to be strummed because it sounds so good.  The compromise here is probably my typical style of picking and strumming with fingers and no pick.  It seems to be made for playing like that.

Anyone else who is waiting for an IS/RW forum III (Vates - and others) is in for a treat!

I give it a resounding  :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut

Jim, thanks for the hat, it is smart.  Pity I look like an idiot in a hat, but it is a really really smart hat.  Thank you also for going the extra mile (no pun intended) and agreeing to including overseas orders.  Thanks Matt for the picks, they are a great touch and it was very generous of you to do them.

I have run out of daylight here, but will try and take some good pics tomorrow.  I had the wrong lens on my camera earlier, and had no time to change it.

:guitar

Thanks to everyone who helped make this happen.  I am sure you appreciate that it is pretty special for me, being the only one in the UK to order one (I think??). :cheers
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

You know, back when the factory tour was being planned we talked about posting photos of ourselves and our guitars as a way to grow camaraderie.
Aside from a rare few group photos and one or two owners I don't recall seeing many "OURSELVES."

My LS-03 isn't here yet so I can ask ... who's going to be the next "ourselves" poster?

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

If you say so Norman - my wife takes better pics than me.

Please note that i do not posess a furry tail, I am sitting next to a cat.  I am playing 'Tequila Sunrise' by the way - it's the perfect gently strummed song for this guitar.

And Lynda - thank you - you know why!! :bgrin:

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Alright, Ben!

I already thought of you as a friend ... now I have a face to place.

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Ben, you look as affable and sincere as I imagine you to be. Which, you know, is very.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Ben, you are very welcome, and you know why! :nice guitar:
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"