Pages: 1 ... 22 [23] 24 ... 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum III impressions and discussion  (Read 115649 times)
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: April 15, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »

the right guitar is the right guitar regardless of what is cost. My problem is if it cost too much I don't feel comfortable playing it. 
On the other hand, maybe just on great (ala expensive) guitar is be the ticket

I don't mind playing more expensive guitars...its just that my playing doesn't warrant it. But I keep ending up with three or four guitars in the $1000-1500 range...and if I could get down to one guitar....it could be spectacular. And have less storage/maintanence issues. (For example, I hate changing strings...)

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: April 15, 2009, 12:27:56 PM »

I think the discussion is a bit irrelevent. We were keen when we specced out the guitar that it was to be affordable.  I isn't trying to be a $3500 guitar, so why compare it to one?

Sorry.....we're just chatting...

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: April 15, 2009, 12:30:07 PM »

Sorry.....we're just chatting...

So was I, didn't mean to cause offence.  Badly worded post by Ben again.  sorry.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: April 15, 2009, 12:32:44 PM »

Maybe I'm just stupid.  I don't at all appreciate the tonal differences between a $3500 guitar and a $1000 guitar.  Sure, I understand the additional cost of labor to build a $3500 guitar, I just don't appreciate the sound differences that are supposed to be "subjectively better".

They certainly don't sound any better when I'm playing them...one of the reasons I don't have any in that price range....but I still gas when I see some of the guitars...check out the portfolio of small builders at Dream Guitars. Some of those guys are beautiful. This one is by Kathy Wingert and can be yours for $10,500!

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Stephen Basil

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: April 15, 2009, 12:54:56 PM »

Look at all that abalone.... pure pollution!

OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: April 15, 2009, 01:54:45 PM »

Look at all that abalone.... pure pollution!

LOL!!

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: April 15, 2009, 02:02:11 PM »

could that be so?

I am still waiting in Japan, so I haven't played mine yet.

I hope its not too too square necked

david

Don't worry - it is not squarish, we just noted that ours feel a bit more squarish than other Larrivee necks. Nothing to be concerned about, you will be very happy -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: April 15, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »

They certainly don't sound any better when I'm playing them...one of the reasons I don't have any in that price range....but I still gas when I see some of the guitars...check out the portfolio of small builders at Dream Guitars. Some of those guys are beautiful. This one is by Kathy Wingert and can be yours for $10,500!

It doesn't look like a $10,000 dollar guitar. Do people buy guitars like this on-line without playing them first?
edit.  I guess that is a silly question, people order guitars like this to be built and wait years to get them.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: April 15, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »

I think it's the perceived exclusivity. Or the real exclusivity, rather. Everything has a price point. Past that and it just gets silly. It's a product, like a handmade pair of shoes or a good haircut or whatever. At some point it can't get any better, it just develops a mystique.

I do wonder why anyone would put abalone on an expensive guitar. Ok, I don't like it on any guitars, but there are so many other wonderful materials. Like the incredible wood rosettes out there. Abalone just strikes me as so pedestrian. I've seen H&D Black Wlanut guitars that I would consider worth thousands, not so much this one, it looks mainstream. No offense intended.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: April 15, 2009, 03:51:29 PM »

I do wonder why anyone would put abalone on an expensive guitar.

Probably 'cause its pretty...

Here's one you may like more...an eichelbaum for $6995.  No abalone and Madagascar RW/German instead of Brazillion.

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: April 15, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »

It doesn't look like a $10,000 dollar guitar. Do people buy guitars like this on-line without playing them first?
edit.  I guess that is a silly question, people order guitars like this to be built and wait years to get them.

I certainly don't have any experience with them...but most of these builders are booked years in advance. They play one of her guitars...pine over it for a while and then order one and wait two, three or five years to get their hands on it.  If you want to see one for sale you go to one of the big shows like Healdsburg where many builders will show their work...or you go to a handful of dealers who may or may not have on in stock.

There must be something there if people are spending that kind of money. It sure can't be to impress somebody (at least not in my neighborhood). Heck, nobody I know even knows who Larrivee is....much less impressed with them. Who would I impress with a MORE exclusive guitar? Guys on the internets?

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #451 on: April 15, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »

Here's one you may like more...an eichelbaum for $6995.  No abalone and Madagascar RW/German instead of Brazillion.

Wow. See, that to me looks expensive. I suppose at the end of the day everyone thinks whatever anyhow. I think part of my heel digging is that I just couldn't spend that much. Even if some relative I never heard of left me a gajillion dollars I think $4000 for a custom is as high as I could go and that would make me throw up a little.

I don't begrudge folks that spend that kind of cash but it's just not something I could do. I'd feel guilty everytime I picked it up, if I worked up enough nerve to do so in the first place. Maybe in years when I can play for 'real' but I don't think so. But if it's your passion and dedication, I can see it.

My spinning wheel cost about $1000 and I had no issue with that. It's hand made, it's a tool. I think you should buy the best tools you can afford and I suppose guitars fall under that catagory. I guess with me it's (well it IS what I can/could afford) also what I can justify. It wouldnt' make me feel good. I supose given my reality, that's a good thing,lol.

As for abalone, I don't know it's just so common. One of the things that attracted me to Larrivee is that they still aren't. I'd want my custom to look custom, not like everyone else's at whatever price range. *sigh* Did I mention the H&D Black Walnut....

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: April 15, 2009, 04:40:27 PM »

I don't begrudge folks that spend that kind of cash but it's just not something I could do.

Me too....that's not my world...but I like to peek in once in a while.

Did I mention the H&D Black Walnut....

I had a serious H&D thing going on too....but couldn't spend that much either (also I didn't have that much).

I guess what drives me crazy is people having a Larry 03 and saying its as good as any other $5000 guitar out there. I have trouble parsing that comment. Now tell me that you like it as much as any $5000 guitar and I can buy that...that's a horse of a different color...

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: April 15, 2009, 05:03:14 PM »

Not sure if you've been paying attention or not...but the discussion took a turn on the last page when one of the guys compared his forum III to his Ted Turner guitar.

I just don't get the posts I'm seeing lately, are we really supposed to just acquiesce to all this barf.                              

Sorry you don't get it...but you don't have to acquiesce....you can participate or not. 

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Alpione

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: April 15, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »

I guess what drives me crazy is people having a Larry 03 and saying its as good as any other $5000 guitar out there. I have trouble parsing that comment. Now tell me that you like it as much as any $5000 guitar and I can buy that...that's a horse of a different color...

I understand what you're saying and agree to an extent, but I think you're setting up a bit of a straw man there.  While some are naturally excited about their new FIIIs, I don't think I've seen anyone come out and say that it's definitively as good as any $5000 guitar.   

I do agree with those that say that there's a point of diminishing returns with sound vs price.  At some point it reaches only differences in aesthetics or "mystique," as someone put it.  For the FIII, I think some of the mystique is the fact that it's a somewhat rare guitar that was designed by this group.  That's pretty cool and adds perceived value.  It also adds "sentimentality," as can be seen on these boards.   bigrin

My FIII arrived today and is waiting at home for me.  Looking forward to playing it for the first time later, but I'm strangely less excited than I thought I'd be.  Maybe four months of waiting brought it down to earth for me.  That's fine.  I think the amount of them produced also took some of the excitement off.  I had it in my mind that this was just going to be a really rare run - less than 30 or so.  78 numbered plus several extras plus the very similar 12th-Fret guitar makes it close to just another regular line guitar.   That's also fine, but makes it less special to me.  It was great to see all of the pics but it's almost like, in the words of Mike Meyers (Wayne's World,) "these were issued to everyone in the mail with samples of Tide."   Maybe that's good - I'll evaluate it on its merits and not on an emotional high.

Now that I've wandered aimlessly through a variety of topics, I'll go home and check out this new guitar.  :)

Adam
dragon1952

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: April 15, 2009, 08:47:52 PM »

As far as the Forum III necks go, I've got a 2008 L-03 and a 2006 OM-03 here to compare it to. It does seem slightly more squarish at the edges, but it's almost imperceptible and maybe my imagination. As for feel, I guess because the reach is different, but it almost feels like I'm playing a narrower nut width. For me, it seems easier to fret and even reach my thumb around.

Taylor 310CE, Eastman E10D, Blueridge BR-160, Eastman T486
Safricanplayer

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2009, 12:24:59 AM »

As the owner if an Eichelbaum, I can tell you that they are IMHO, amazing instruments. Whether you deem them worth the price or not, is your call, but I can tell you that they are in a totally different league (as they should be) to any new $1000 guitar I've ever played. Higher end guitars are generally not priced where they are, because they've simply somehow developed a mystique about them. They are priced at levels that 'usually' justify the quality, and most importantly, the sound of the instrument.  Since the time I purchased my Mcknight, Tim's base price has increased $1500. My Mcknight today would cost me over $2K more than I paid for it. The only reason Tim's been able to justify the price increase and still maintain an 18 month waiting list, is the fact (borne out by this wait list) that a number of players feel his guitars are worth the price, even at today's levels, when compared to his competitors. The notion that more expensive guitars have somehow pulled the wool over players ears, and folks are typically buying them for there image or mystique, is naive at best.

All that said, there are builders out there commanding prices for their instruments that "to my ears" are not worth the upcharge. There is definately a point of diminishing returns, and every player will need to determine what this point is.

If you believe the Forum III is the best guitar you've ever played, you'd be a fool to spend more money on another guitar They are wonderful guitars (for the money) and as someone who purchased 2 Forum III's (still waiting on the All Hog!!) I find nothing offensive in the idea that my Forum III is not the equal of my Goodall, Eichelbaum or Mcknight.

The original intent (as best I can determine) was exceeded in the build of the Forum III's and this enough is cause for celebration

~ Ray ~

Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Eichelbaum OM ~ Euro Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Larrivee Forum III ~ All Hog
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2009, 12:27:19 AM »

I do agree with those that say that there's a point of diminishing returns with sound vs price.  At some point it reaches only differences in aesthetics or "mystique," as someone put it. 

Yes, I agree with the diminishing returns....after all...is a 10K guitar 10x as good as a $1000? Doubt it. they sure are pretty though. Someday I'll get to try some and see what all the fuss is about...until then..I dream and live in my own world.

My FIII arrived today and is waiting at home for me.  Looking forward to playing it for the first time later, but I'm strangely less excited than I thought I'd be.  Maybe four months of waiting brought it down to earth for me.  That's fine.  I think the amount of them produced also took some of the excitement off.  I had it in my mind that this was just going to be a really rare run - less than 30 or so.  78 numbered plus several extras plus the very similar 12th-Fret guitar makes it close to just another regular line guitar.   That's also fine, but makes it less special to me.  It was great to see all of the pics but it's almost like, in the words of Mike Meyers (Wayne's World,) "these were issued to everyone in the mail with samples of Tide."   Maybe that's good - I'll evaluate it on its merits and not on an emotional high.

Interesting thought about the sample size. They aren't very exclusive....but I have a Forum I in whch the run is about 17 pieces. I've got a secret for you. It doesn't play or sound any better because there are fewer of them out there. But it does stand on its own. And it will be fun to compare to the Forum III.

Talked to Jim H today. My forum III is ready. I'm having him hold it and not ship until Monday...I'm going to be out of the office a lot over the next couple days and I don't want to miss the delivery. So I'll probably have mine towards Wednesday of next week...

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: April 16, 2009, 12:27:25 AM »

Ray,

I don't beleive you. I think it's only fair and just that you send the guitar to me post haste to prove your point.

holly (who has been staring at the pic for like two minutes)

"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: April 16, 2009, 12:30:53 AM »

As the owner if an Eichelbaum, I can tell you that they are IMHO, amazing instruments. Whether you deem them worth the price or not, is your call, but I can tell you that they are in a totally different league (as they should be) to any new $1000 guitar I've ever played. Higher end guitars are generally not priced where they are, because they've simply somehow developed a mystique about them. They are priced at levels that 'usually' justify the quality, and most importantly, the sound of the instrument. 

If you believe the Forum III is the best guitar you've ever played, you'd be a fool to spend more money on another guitar They are wonderful guitars (for the money) and as someone who purchased 2 Forum III's (still waiting on the All Hog!!) I find nothing offensive in the idea that my Forum III is not the equal of my Goodall, Eichelbaum or Mcknight.

Sounds like you have a great set of guitars...good for you!

And thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy....

whistling

Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Pages: 1 ... 22 [23] 24 ... 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: