Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: mrkillick on April 14, 2009, 01:41:24 PM
The two really noticeable  thing about this guitar are the tone and volume. As others have mentioned the bass response is strong. The guitar is also loud and projecting.  I have an OM-03 with a much more rounded profile which I prefer.

There's a lot of "buzz" here about bass response of the FIIIs, but not many direct comparisons.

Is your FIII bass response significantly greater than on your OM? 

I played an OM-03 (both sapelle and RW) yesterday at a local shop and was surprised how much more bass I get out of the similarly sized all-hog FIII...
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Yes, the comparison I was making was with my OM. Much more bass response from the FIII.

Hmmmm...it seems like the enthusiasm and accolades for the Forum III may be on the wane.  Mine is due for tomorrow's delivery.  I liked it so much better when everyone was oooing an ahhhhing.    :bgrin:
 We'll see how it compares to the Traditional Larrivees (00-50, 000-50, 0M-50) and depending on results someone's going on the FS block

gtrplayer

Quote from: gtrplayer on April 14, 2009, 06:22:46 PM
 Hmmmm...it seems like the enthusiasm and accolades for the Forum III may be on the wane.  Mine is due for tomorrow's delivery.  I liked it so much better when everyone was oooing an ahhhhing.    :bgrin:
 We'll see how it compares to the Traditional Larrivees (00-50, 000-50, 0M-50) and depending on results someone's going on the FS block

gtrplayer
I don't believe the accolades are waning :winkin: I think everybody is just too busy enjoying playing these great little guitars.  :nana_guitar I look forward to your review.... Probability suggests that at some point, someone is going to not be as enamored with their Forum III as the majority have to date. That said, I know there are a lot of happy players out there :winkin:

~ Ray ~

Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

gtrplayer- I have not lost my enthusiasm for the FIII, especially since my guitar may be on the same fed-ex truck as yours. I got my fed-ex tracker today, should be here in a couple of days.  And from everyone's initial positive responses, I just cannot wait. 

Gonna say that I'm on the same boat as Danny. I really don't see the need to spend big bucks on a guitar now. I love Bella SO much and hate to admit that I think she outshines Holly (PV-09E) by a long run.  :cheers
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

The only negative for me, and this is a strictly personal thing. is the neck profile. It is rather squarish. I have an OM-03 with a much more rounded profile which I prefer.

I am intrigued to read that - I also feel the neck on mine is just a bit more squarish than any other Larrivee neck I have. Not that it is a big negative, but I do prefer a rounder or more C shaped neck as well. I wonder if the neck sander was a little over-taxed with this order?

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

I find that the neck feel on my FG III is great and the fingerboard as a result very maneuverable.  It's extremely comfortable and the sound is bliss.... gotta go back to playing now.
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

Quote from: Craigb156 on April 11, 2009, 01:56:04 PM
#50, wholoe hog arrived yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased. Lovely guitar. Obviously darker/deeper/more throaty than my 00-09, and almost as loud as my Guild d-40. Sweet. Just a perfect size, and I love the decay on the hog....

Hey Craig and Prf Stack, after Prof Stack gets his guitar, we should all get together somewhere around here since we each have a different version.

Congrats on getting your whole hog.
FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

Quote from: photomat on April 14, 2009, 10:17:21 PM
Hey Craig and Prof Stack, after Prof Stack gets his guitar, we should all get together somewhere around here since we each have a different version.

Sounds good to me.  Mine is due on Friday.  It would be great to play the other versions, too!
Play it daily for best results.

... On to the guitar. I got the IS/Hog version. It is a really nice guitar.  Attractive and a very comfortable size.  The two really noticeable  thing about this guitar are the tone and volume. As others have mentioned the bass response is strong. The guitar is also loud and projecting. ... It is important, though, not to forget that this is a $1000 guitar.  In contrast, yesterday I picked up a custom guitar I ordered from a local builder, Ted Thompson which is really in a different league. It's a $3500 guitar so I guess it isn't surprising that it would be better than a $1000 guitar.  Beautiful woods, flawless construction and the well balanced  sound of a big guitar. The reason I mention it is that it is a 12 fret and the dimensions are almost exactly the same as the Forum III guitar. It is Thompson model T2X. This builder makes extraordinary guitars. Interestingly enough he worked with Jean Larrivee many years ago when he was learning his craft. His output now is only about two guitars a month and what he produces is superb. I draw this contrast to put our enthusiasm in perspective.  I think that in the Forum III guitar we have a very nice guitar for the money which is a pleasure to own and play.  But there are better guitars out there in higher price ranges.

"I think that in the Forum III guitar we have a very nice guitar for the money which is a pleasure to own and play."  I agree with your comments, but struck out three words.  I own a Martin D-18GE which is an incredible sounding guitar, one that pushed the SD-50 and 000-15S out of the house.  It also cost over twice what I paid for the FIII.  But it, like every other guitar out there, is not the perfect be-all-end-all guitar.

I also have a '74 dread with EIR that is incredible, even with year-old strings on it!  (I'm lazy that way.) 

But the guitar I took on the road this weekend was an old (Harmony or Stella) parlor worth very little but with an old-wood smoothness of sound (it is a 12-fret, btw) that is just amazing. 

I'm sure your Ted Thompson is a really special guitar that you'll keep and treasure and play for many years.  Perhaps it will be an heirloom like my '74 LoPrinzi and Martin will likely be. 

So, for many reasons, the FIII is a very special guitar and for some the best sounding guitar they will ever own.  I'm sure looking forward to this Friday.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: pennerblue on April 14, 2009, 06:06:20 PM
There's a lot of "buzz" here about bass response of the FIIIs, but not many direct comparisons.

I played an OM-03 (both sapelle and RW) yesterday at a local shop and was surprised how much more bass I get out of the similarly sized all-hog FIII...

Well, having lived with my all-hog F-III for almost a couple of weeks now and therefore had a chance to do some comparisons, I would say that the bass response is similiar to that of my OMV-09, and somewhat less than my old L19. Very respectable for the size of the guitar.

The biggest difference I've noticed is in the sustain: if I hit an open chord and let it ring, it is the middle of the chord that sustains best and the overtones from those notes which dominate, as opposed to the OMV-09 in which the treble side seems to dominate. This would be consistent with the tonewood frequency response chart someone posted awhile back, I'd admit to the possibility of suggestivity bias except that my observations have been fairly consistent before and after seeing said chart.

My initial impression of an overall softer, rounder sound has been consistently confirmed, this guitar is not as bright-sounding as any of the rosewood/spruce guitars I own or have played, and that's just fine. I was hoping for something different, and got it. Shoulda gone for the cutaway though.

Cheers, Mike

I think this guitar is good value and very special because of the Forum participation in its creation. It is important  though not to forget that this is a $1000 guitar. In contrast, yesterday I picked up a custom guitar I ordered from a local builder, Ted Thompson which is really in a different league. It's a $3500 guitar so I guess it isn't surprising that it would be better than a $1000 guitar. Beautiful woods, flawless construction and the well balanced  sound of a big guitar. The reason I mention it is that it is a 12 fret and the dimensions are almost exactly the same as the Forum III guitar. It is Thompson model T2X. This builder makes extraordinary guitars. Interestingly enough he worked with Jean Larrivee many years ago when he was learning his craft. His output now is only about two guitars a month and what he produces is superb. I draw this contrast to put our enthusiasm in perspective. I think that in the Forum III guitar we have a very nice guitar for the money which is a pleasure to own and play. but there are better guitars out there in higher price ranges.

Your point is very well taken. Ted Thompson builds some wonderful guitars, as you would expect, at the price point. IMHO, it is simply unreasonable to expect that a factory built guitar that passes thru the hands of workers at various stations along the production line can compare to a custom build where one luthier takes the time to tap test the tops, hand select the B&S, hand sculpt the bracing and ultimately tweak the guitar for maximum tone and responsiveness. That is not to say that every luthier is successful in their endeavor, but the good ones really are. Ted Thompson is not building approximately 2 guitars a month because he goes fishing 4 days a week :blush: His limited production is due to the extraordinary amount of time and detail that is required to build a truly world class guitar.

That said, for many, the Forum III is as close to a semi custom build as they will experience, and when you add up the joy of the journey coupled with the the end product, I feel it's a very appealing and compelling value :winkin: 

~ Ray ~

Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

OK....I'm a little slow sometimes, so help me out here. I'm not exactly sure what the importance is of remembering that 'it's just a $1000 guitar'. Is there a benefit to that which I am missing?   :? If it's important, then I should probably know about it because I don't want to blow it or anything. 
Taylor 310CE, Eastman E10D, Blueridge BR-160, Eastman T486

Quote from: tadol on April 14, 2009, 08:50:06 PM
I am intrigued to read that - I also feel the neck on mine is just a bit more squarish than any other Larrivee neck I have. Not that it is a big negative, but I do prefer a rounder or more C shaped neck as well. I wonder if the neck sander was a little over-taxed with this order?

Tad

could that be so?

I am still waiting in Japan, so I haven't played mine yet.

I hope its not too too square necked

david
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Quote from: iDavid on April 15, 2009, 05:16:18 AM
I am still waiting in Japan, so I haven't played mine yet.

You any idea how long it is gonna be?  I thought mine was taking ages, but it looks like Friday will be the day for me.  I feel your waiting pain!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: dragon1952 on April 15, 2009, 03:03:30 AM
OK....I'm a little slow sometimes, so help me out here. I'm not exactly sure what the importance is of remembering that 'it's just a $1000 guitar'. Is there a benefit to that which I am missing?   :? If it's important, then I should probably know about it because I don't want to blow it or anything. 

Nah...it doesn't matter. It is what it is. If you're happy....you're happy and that's all that matters.

I'm one of those guys who thinks the Larrivees are great at their price point. Some here think they are as good as $5000 guitars...and some get their knickers in knots when somebody says they are a good buy for the money. I just know that if this guitar was $4500 or even $3500 I wouldn't be getting one. And if I WAS going to buy a guitar at that price point...I bet it wouldn't be this guitar...because there would be a lot more that choices tickle my fancy at that price point.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I think the discussion is a bit irrelevent. We were keen when we specced out the guitar that it was to be affordable.  I isn't trying to be a $3500 guitar, so why compare it to one?
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Maybe I'm just stupid.  I don't at all appreciate the tonal differences between a $3500 guitar and a $1000 guitar.  Sure, I understand the additional cost of labor to build a $3500 guitar, I just don't appreciate the sound differences that are supposed to be "subjectively better".
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: BenF on April 15, 2009, 05:22:35 AM
You any idea how long it is gonna be?  I thought mine was taking ages, but it looks like Friday will be the day for me.  I feel your waiting pain!!

between one to six weeks

my guess is two more

and

the right guitar is the right guitar regardless of what is cost. My problem is if it cost too much I don't feel comfortable playing it. 

On the other hand, maybe just on great (ala expensive) guitar is be the ticket

david
Larrivee Forum-III all hog