Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nothing to add (just thought I would make the 400th reply on this post), other than I am still envious.....  :cheers
Ron

Ky,

Your guitar is drop dead gorgeous.  I can only hope that mine looks half as good.  And I love the name.  Good for you, now make us a recording!

still waiting,
mary
:blush:

I haven't noticed a reduced string tension (and not sure why there should be). I have noticed the somewhat quieter high 'E'. Like mentioned, it will ring out but seems to take a bit more attack to do so.
Taylor 310CE, Eastman E10D, Blueridge BR-160, Eastman T486

Is it true that these don't carry the dread Cleartone strings?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on April 12, 2009, 05:34:34 PM
Is it true that these don't carry the dread Cleartone strings?

holly

No, they came strung with D'Addario EXP Lights.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: lyric_girl on April 12, 2009, 05:53:06 PM

I'm having Jim put mediums on mine....

I'm also getting a hogtop cutaway. Soon.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Rusty is a beaut!!!   I want one of those also!!!!!!!! :nice guitar: :thumb :bowdown:
PO5 MT Larrivee Parlor (sold darn it)
Hog Weissenborn Lap Slide
Republic Reso-Relic Tricone
Stew-Mac A-Style Mandolin (Kit)

Here's #30

Great little fingerstyle guitar. Thanks to all for making it happen. Thanks Jim for all your efforts and a wonderful setup.
Cheers,
tj

Hey Moose, looks like a winner, beauty of a top.  Love the HB.

Dotpitch: I mentioned earlier that the strings seem slack at the point of attack/strum (being more toward the middle of the string length--i.e., further from the bridge)...but not at the fretting hand.  Also, it's strung with lights and I'm used to Meds.

I must admit however, I jammed for 4 hours Friday night and those Meds were killing me at the end of the night...I might be switching to M-Lights.
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

A couple of beautiful guitars added to the thread, I see.  I've never owned a mahogany guitar but I've tried many and have never been able to get the notes to bloom like they do with a rosewood.  The hog is certainly the definitive wood for the Forum III.
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

Quote from: pennerblue on April 12, 2009, 09:59:53 PMDotpitch: I mentioned earlier that the strings seem slack at the point of attack/strum (being more toward the middle of the string length--i.e., further from the bridge)...but not at the fretting hand.  Also, it's strung with lights and I'm used to Meds.

Gotcha! I was thinking about that, too. On the subject of the picking hand being further away from the bridge, the one thing that I'm slightly worried about ('still haven't received my 12th Fret version) is that 2-3/16" bridge spacing. That's already a wee bit on the narrow side and with the bridge being shifted further back like it is, the spacing at the "typical" picking/strumming location is going to be that much tighter. I wish they'd gone with 2-5/16" at the nut.  :crying:

Quote from: dependan on April 11, 2009, 01:58:38 PM
                       Is your 00-09 RW?

danny

Yes it is. Nice guitar.

Great looking guitars guys :thumbsup

~ Ray ~
Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

Quote from: lyric_girl on April 12, 2009, 05:53:06 PM

Are these the 80/20s or the PBs?

Thanks..  Only a few more days to wait for me!  (And several others, from the looks of it.)

Adam

Just thought I would throw in some comments on this guitar, for the record.  This is for an IS top and hog body.  I saw mentioned that it takes a little more attack on the high E string, true, but also it does not ring out thin as some guitars do, and overall I find that a very good feature.  Bass response is much better than I had anticipated.  Being it is new it doesn't sound as "woody" as some guitars I own, in particular a Collings OM2H and Martin 00015.  On open tunings it sounds clear without being muddy, has good sustain, body size and shape are great, it is what I expected only better.

Quote from: aardvark on April 13, 2009, 11:31:29 AM
Just thought I would throw in some comments on this guitar, for the record.  This is for an IS top and hog body.  I saw mentioned that it takes a little more attack on the high E string, true, but also it does not ring out thin as some guitars do, and overall I find that a very good feature.  Bass response is much better than I had anticipated.  Being it is new it doesn't sound as "woody" as some guitars I own, in particular a Collings OM2H and Martin 00015.  On open tunings it sounds clear without being muddy, has good sustain, body size and shape are great, it is what I expected only better.
Ditto. Couldn't have said it better. I too think it will get a bit more "woody" with time. Could evolve into the perfect noodling on the couch fingerstyle guitar.
tj

Here is my #60.  Thanks to everyone on the Forum who made this project happen.  Special thanks to Jim for handling all the details with Larrivee and for the great setup and installation of the clear pickguard.  I'm very happy with the sound and playability of this sweet guitar.  Very inspiring

[attachment deleted by admin]

Very nice Dazdarren. Great looking top. Congrats!
tj

I thought that, as many of the others who have purchased the Forum III guitars are providing their reactions to their  new guitars, I would too. I was able to be part of the group that visited the Larrivee factory Some of us picked up our guitars at the same time. It was wonderful to meet and visit with everyone who came. What a friendly and enthusiastic bunch. On to the guitar. I got the IS/Hog version. It is a really nice guitar.  Attractive and a very comfortable size.  The two really noticeable  thing about this guitar are the tone and volume. As others have mentioned the bass response is strong. The guitar is also loud and projecting. The only negative for me, and this is a strictly personal thing. is the neck profile. It is rather squarish. I have an OM-03 with a much more rounded profile which I prefer. I think this guitar is good value and very special because of the Forum participation in its creation. It is important  though not to forget that this is a $1000 guitar. In contrast, yesterday I picked up a custom guitar I ordered from a local builder, Ted Thompson which is really in a different league. It's a $3500 guitar so I guess it isn't surprising that it would be better than a $1000 guitar. Beautiful woods, flawless construction and the well balanced  sound of a big guitar. The reason I mention it is that it is a 12 fret and the dimensions are almost exactly the same as the Forum III guitar. It is Thompson model T2X. This builder makes extraordinary guitars. Interestingly enough he worked with Jean Larrivee many years ago when he was learning his craft. His output now is only about two guitars a month and what he produces is superb. I draw this contrast to put our enthusiasm in perspective. I think that in the Forum III guitar we have a very nice guitar for the money which is a pleasure to own and play. but there are better guitars out there in higher price ranges.

Quote from: mrkillick on April 14, 2009, 01:41:24 PM
I draw this contrast to put our enthusiasm in perspective. I think that in the Forum III guitar we have a very nice guitar for the money which is a pleasure to own and play. but there are better guitars out there in higher price ranges.

I'd say that sums up Larrivee in general.  Fantastic guitars for the money at the low-mid price points.  But if I'm buying a $3000 guitar, it's not going to be a Larrivee...

That said, I'm very much looking forward to my $1000 Larrivee, which arrives tomorrow.  :)

Adam