Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: jeremy3220 on April 10, 2009, 07:02:15 PM
If you do that you'll have to do it to the rest of the guitar or it won't match. When you say 'pinpricks' I'm think tiny indentions, if that's the case it probably wouldn't be a good idea to sand the finish down to even it out. The finish is very thin and you might find the indention is in the wood not just the finish but it's hard to say with out seeing it.
Heh, Jeremy since you have not seen one of these. Why don't you come to Texas and check out mine. And while you are here you might just put my micro-mesh to use and polish my F-III up. That way you could gain some more good git work experience. ;-)

(I know, I'm the one needing the experience,right?)

danny

Quote from: JohnT on April 10, 2009, 06:35:17 PM
57/78, IS/Hog,  she's a keeper.

I've been playing it since Monday, I'll get the negatives out of the way first. 

Not a fan of the vanilla case perfume.   My case has been airing outside for 4 days, and I'll leave it there until the scent fades.

Like the others, it's a beautiful instrument.  But it does have a small finish glitch on the top.  As if there are two small pinpricks, perhaps a little extra finish.  I'm probably the only one who will ever notice it, but for those with experience, would I be really stupid to take some of that Micro-mesh to the top?  I'll not try it anytime soon, for sure.

Sound.  This is my first mahogany guitar.  I have also been taken with the bass response, particularly in direct comparison with my OM-03R.  I've had the OM for two years, and since day one I've been a little disappointed with its lack of bass.  Particularly the low G note
on string 6.  I'm considering trying a bone saddle in the OM, wondering how much that is contributing to the bass on the LS.
The LS is definitely brighter than the OM.  Could be partly due to strings, though the strings on the OM are not very old.  In another couple of months I'll probably put identical strings on both to see that comparison.  If there is anyway I can get the same depth of bass tone from the OM that I get from the LS, it would be wonderful.

Another part of the LS/OM comparison:  I think I finally have a sense of what people mean when they describe the RW tone as "darker" than mahogany.  Both beautiful, but undeniably different.

Jim's set up is really nice.

Anyway, don't take my first comments wrong.  It's a fine, fine guitar.  We're tightly bound already.

John

Mine is hog/IS with great bass response using Tusq or bone saddles. It's the git itself more than the saddle.

danny

Quote from: dependan on April 10, 2009, 07:55:51 PM
Mine is hog/IS with great bass response using Tusq or bone saddles. It's the git itself more than the saddle.

danny

That's what I thought--more the git than the saddle.

And more or less what I expected based on discussions.  More kudos to those of you who came up with the specs for this series, they are living up to expectations.

John

Quote from: JohnT on April 10, 2009, 08:33:30 PM
That's what I thought--more the git than the saddle.

And more or less what I expected based on discussions.  More kudos to those of you who came up with the specs for this series, they are living up to expectations.

John
It is nice to hear these responses and somewhat of a relief. I did't want to be the only kid on the block saying how truly nice these turned out. From what I'm seeing posted especially about the MH/IS there is a similar explanation of the tone and volume of this git. Each person uses different words, but if you look close, all are saying the same exact thing.

danny

Quote from: dependan on April 10, 2009, 07:53:00 PM
            Heh, Jeremy since you have not seen one of these. Why don't you come to Texas and check out mine. And while you are here you might just put my micro-mesh to use and polish my F-III up. That way you could gain some more good git work experience. ;-)

(I know, I'm the one needing the experience,right?)

danny

I'm seriously considering doing that to my OM-03MT finally. I'm going to slot the bridge and make some string ramps in the next few days.

Greetings,
#30 arrived late today. Pics and first impressions tomorrow AM. Very nice first blush.
tj

Quote from: jeremy3220 on April 10, 2009, 09:28:12 PM
          I'm going to slot the bridge and make some string ramps in the next few days.
I want to do that also, and put in some slotless bone pins. I'd like to see how yours turns out. Maybe a new Topic on this would be interesting.

danny

Quote from: dependan on April 10, 2009, 08:38:45 PM
  It is nice to hear these responses and somewhat of a relief. I did't want to be the only kid on the block saying how truly nice these turned out. From what I'm seeing posted especially about the MH/IS there is a similar explanation of the tone and volume of this git. Each person uses different words, but if you look close, all are saying the same exact thing.

That's been my impression, too, so I think it shows the influence of the body size and bracing even though the tonewoods are different.

Jim just let me know that #26 will be going out on Monday.  Woohoo!

Adam

Received the Forum III LS-03 IS/Hog yesterday. In a word, this is an outstanding acoustic guitar! Great tone, volume, playability, looks. Played with a friend yesterday. He was impressed! I believe there is something special about Italian spruce, let alone the whole package.

:nice guitar:

Kudos to:

Larrivee for building such a great guitar and such a great price

Jim H. for handling the orders, setting up the guitars and the Trinity/Larrivee Forum Guitar III hat (nice!)

the Forum for being the catalyst for these special guitars.

:cheers
Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars

Congrats Will!!

:gotpics: :gotpics: :gotpics: :gotpics: :gotpics:

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Just got off the phone with Jim, who called me to say that my #59 LS-03R has arrived.  Setup information, payment, and many thanks were exchanged.  The guitar will be shipped on Monday hoping to arrive in Seattle by week's end.  

Looking forward to the little beauty...
Play it daily for best results.

My call from Jim today.  My guitar arrived at his shop to be set-up the first of the week -  #34.  Enjoyed the talk with Jim and look forward to my new guitar

#50, wholoe hog arrived yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased. Lovely guitar. Obviously darker/deeper/more throaty than my 00-09, and almost as loud as my Guild d-40. Sweet. Just a perfect size, and I love the decay on the hog....

Quote from: Craigb156 on April 11, 2009, 01:56:04 PM
#50, whole hog arrived yesterday and I couldn't be more pleased. Lovely guitar. Obviously darker/deeper/more throaty than my 00-09, and almost as loud as my Guild d-40. Sweet. Just a perfect size, and I love the decay on the hog....
Is your 00-09 RW?

danny

I got a call this afternoon from Jim Holler of Trinity Guitars.  He's received my Forum III and should be shipping it out to me on Monday.  Much thanks to Jim for all his efforts.    :+1:

So the countdown has begun! 

#35 now reporting in.   It arrived here with spring a few days ago & I took it straight away to Josh’s store to share the unveiling.  After my work week, I finally got some playing time in.  Thought y’all’d like an early look and report.

This guitar IS amazing!   :yawn  No really, keep reading! 

Mary (kaos) ordered a LVS MT too (looking forward to hear her appraisal).  There were only a few of these in the run.  While Mary's cut-away (the auspicious #108500), and another near flawless top were featured in the factory photos, mine remains unseen.
First to hit me (after seeing that top), was hearing the bass response and volume coming from this light weight wonder.  Nothing seems to be lost on the cut-away either.  As others have agreed, these little gits have got some growl.   Mine definitely has a "thicker/creamy" sound I would assume is coming from the Hog-top, across all the strings.  But alive with a bright shimmer that can kinda sound like a piano, or organ (like an L-03 standard can)...but part of that’s gotta be the bone saddle.  Thanks to Jim, the medium set-up seems just right & I’m diggin’ these strings.  Lets me play it light or crank it up.  This model can really handle a heavy hand too.  It can’t chug-a-lug quite like the D-Train, but has got unexpected power.  It seems best suited for the soloist though, and being part of the recording series, it lives up to that ideal.  The solid build that we knew was coming gives it spot-on intonation and built-in balance.  Have you heard Photomat’s recording?   Just great!  We can confirm that there’s no real worries when ordering a Larry sound unheard.
“Negatives?”...Maybe.  The High-E can sound quiet, but will chime out when hit with a nail or pick, and I haven’t decided whether hammer-ons may not be especially loud.  I guess this might be due to the lighter tension of the 12 fretter.  It sure is slinkier than I would have known.  I like it.  This is mostly heard in the low-E, requiring a little more attention when tuning, and can also give a funky slap if called upon.   Also, mine may have a phantom ringing from the G-string (gonna have Josh give a listen).   And, I too have a few very minor blemishes in the finish.  Just a couple tiny bubble/dust marks on the top that are already starting to smooth from playing.
That’s the first impressions.  Of course I’ve gotta show it off at Josh’s jam tonight.  Looking forward to hearing others play it too.  More thoughts and pictures at 11:00.

Thats a very pretty all hog guitar you have there.   :nice guitar:  Too bad they put the cutaway on the wrong side! :humour:
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Ky..

WOW.  That guitar looks GREAT!.  I love the purfling on the hog top, and the cutaway really sets this one apart from the others.  I sure don't recall seeing any hog top cutaways on the tour.  You have a real looker!

Great photos, too. 

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

Very, very nice. Perhaps the 1st string will come to life as it breaks in.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Nice lookin' Hog Top, Ky! Rusty seems like a fitting name, too.

Quote from: KY MOOSE on April 12, 2009, 11:28:49 AMThe High-E can sound quiet, but will chime out when hit with a nail or pick, and I haven't decided whether hammer-ons may not be especially loud.  I guess this might be due to the lighter tension of the 12 fretter.

I've seen a couple people comment on this (the string tension related to the guitar being a 12-fretter) and it leaves me scratching my head. These guitars are using Larrivee's standard scale length of 25.5", right? So the string tension on the FIII guitar and the 12th Fret Specials should be the same as the string tension on any D-03 or L-03. Maybe the smaller body combined with the shifted position of the neck puts us in a better playing position so that we don't have to use as much effort to press down on the strings?