Pages: 1 ... 18 [19] 20 ... 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum III impressions and discussion  (Read 119365 times)
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: April 09, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »

As I am still a newbie, my thoughts or impressions may not be as valid as others. However, Bella blows Holly (the guitar) out of the water. Of course, part of that is going to be due to the size differential. But the mid tones on Bella are just amazing.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: April 09, 2009, 05:38:16 PM »

As I am still a newbie, my thoughts or impressions may not be as valid as others. However, Bella blows Holly (the guitar) out of the water. Of course, part of that is going to be due to the size differential. But the mid tones on Bella are just amazing.

Isn't your Holly guitar a parlor?  If the F3 didn't sound better/bigger/fuller than a parlor i would send it back. I don't think a parlor can compete with a full size guitar...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: April 09, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »

Isn't your Holly guitar a parlor?  If the F3 didn't sound better/bigger/fuller than a parlor i would send it back. I don't think a parlor can compete with a full size guitar...

Yeah, Holly is a parlor. That was my point about the size differential comment.

johnny37

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: April 09, 2009, 11:42:27 PM »

The point being ... size does matter.   

1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty 
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: April 10, 2009, 12:36:55 AM »

It's about time someone lightened the atmosphere up around here.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: April 10, 2009, 12:39:45 AM »

It's about time someone lightened the atmosphere up around here.

Believe me, John is the right guy to do that! Right John? Hurry, hurry hard...

strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: April 10, 2009, 12:42:40 AM »

Any broad on the forum coulda told you that....

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: April 10, 2009, 01:16:08 AM »

Any broad on the forum coulda told you that....

You're right on that one.  My wife particuarly likes it  when I play my jumbo.  Though she prefers that I play it on weekends only for a hour at a time.  So I guess you might say she's the boss when it comes to size, length and frequency. 

gtrplayer
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: April 10, 2009, 01:42:30 AM »

Hey, I thought we all agreed that it was the skill of the player that was responsible for the best response?

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: April 10, 2009, 02:43:52 AM »

#63 arrived, fully formed, with all her fingers and toes.

Crys like a newborn wantin' to be Luv'd......

Bear claw  birth marks

Strippy wide grain top at the edges

Strippy Hog back  (forceps ?)

workin' graveyard this week,  pics when i wake up.

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
photomat

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: April 10, 2009, 02:51:22 AM »

#63 arrived, fully formed, with all her fingers and toes.

Crys like a newborn wantin' to be Luv'd......

Bear claw  birth marks

Strippy wide grain top at the edges

Strippy Hog back  (forceps ?)

workin' graveyard this week,  pics when i wake up.

Is this where we take a look at your "ugly" newborn and say......"Now THAT"S a baby"

Congratulations on the arrival.

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: April 10, 2009, 03:23:39 AM »

No, this is where i take thousands of pictures to bore you with,,,, like any proud parent of a newborn.

OR....

Where I take millions of pictures to come within spittin' distance of the quality of your Photography....
(you probably play better than me too)....       (((HOPEFULLY,    lotta humor      )))

Do I sound punchy??    been workin' a graveyard this week.... sure feel punchy

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: April 10, 2009, 04:55:18 AM »

No, this is where i take thousands of pictures to bore you with,,,, like any proud parent of a newborn.

OR....

Where I take millions of pictures to come within spittin' distance of the quality of your Photography....
(you probably play better than me too)....       (((HOPEFULLY,    lotta humor      )))

Do I sound punchy??    been workin' a graveyard this week.... sure feel punchy
                  Looking forward to seeing your git Phil. All I have with me is my 00-09FM here in dreary, rainy California right now. I miss my  wife more than my F-III....;-)  But I do miss my F-III too. Maybe tomorrow Tad will let me play his RW F-III and that will get me by till Monday. TtP's sure looks nice but it's BACKWARDS.

BTW... V'couver S.paw. I made your bone saddle last nite. I borrowed one of Lynn's lefty saddles to be my guide. I set it a little low for fingerstyle. Since I don't have your Git we won't know how well it will work till you drop it in.

danny

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
photomat

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: April 10, 2009, 04:55:41 AM »

I joked yesterday about taking a sick day, and now  I am running a 101 fever.  No more joking around here.

I tuned my new guitar to Dadgad and played a little diddy straight from the iBeam into a Micro BR.  It could use a little eq...the ibeam at least here sounds a bit brighter and snappier than the guitar...but not by much.

Nothing to write home about...but here it is.

Recording of LS03 iBeam Pickup

Here is a second one I did of just the guitar into the mic on the micro BR, bypassing the Ibeam for comparison.

LS03 Recorded straight into MicroBR (no iBeam) for comparison.

The link automatically downloads a .mp3 file...about 1 meg in size.

FIII M/IS
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: April 10, 2009, 07:13:25 AM »

BTW... V'couver S.paw. I made your bone saddle last nite. I borrowed one of Lynn's lefty saddles to be my guide. I set it a little low for fingerstyle. Since I don't have your Git we won't know how well it will work till you drop it in.

danny

Cool! Thanks in advance, I'll p.m. you my mailing addres in case you don't have it...Mike
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: April 10, 2009, 05:05:12 PM »

Cool! Thanks in advance, I'll p.m. you my mailing addres in case you don't have it...Mike
good idea

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
photomat

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: April 10, 2009, 08:59:33 PM »

I added a second recording of the LS03 to my post a couple up the thread, so you can compare the iBeam vs the guitar into a mic.  I also posted the same thin in the "Playing" section of the forum.

Danny say hi to the California Gang.

FIII M/IS
JohnT

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: April 10, 2009, 11:35:17 PM »

57/78, IS/Hog,  she's a keeper.

I've been playing it since Monday, I'll get the negatives out of the way first. 

Not a fan of the vanilla case perfume.   My case has been airing outside for 4 days, and I'll leave it there until the scent fades.

Like the others, it's a beautiful instrument.  But it does have a small finish glitch on the top.  As if there are two small pinpricks, perhaps a little extra finish.  I'm probably the only one who will ever notice it, but for those with experience, would I be really stupid to take some of that Micro-mesh to the top?  I'll not try it anytime soon, for sure.

Sound.  This is my first mahogany guitar.  I have also been taken with the bass response, particularly in direct comparison with my OM-03R.  I've had the OM for two years, and since day one I've been a little disappointed with its lack of bass.  Particularly the low G note
on string 6.  I'm considering trying a bone saddle in the OM, wondering how much that is contributing to the bass on the LS.
The LS is definitely brighter than the OM.  Could be partly due to strings, though the strings on the OM are not very old.  In another couple of months I'll probably put identical strings on both to see that comparison.  If there is anyway I can get the same depth of bass tone from the OM that I get from the LS, it would be wonderful.

Another part of the LS/OM comparison:  I think I finally have a sense of what people mean when they describe the RW tone as "darker" than mahogany.  Both beautiful, but undeniably different.

Jim's set up is really nice.

Anyway, don't take my first comments wrong.  It's a fine, fine guitar.  We're tightly bound already.

John
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: April 11, 2009, 12:02:15 AM »

Like the others, it's a beautiful instrument.  But it does have a small finish glitch on the top.  As if there are two small pinpricks, perhaps a little extra finish.  I'm probably the only one who will ever notice it, but for those with experience, would I be really stupid to take some of that Micro-mesh to the top?  I'll not try it anytime soon, for sure.

If you do that you'll have to do it to the rest of the guitar or it won't match. When you say 'pinpricks' I'm think tiny indentions, if that's the case it probably wouldn't be a good idea to sand the finish down to even it out. The finish is very thin and you might find the indention is in the wood not just the finish but it's hard to say with out seeing it.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: April 11, 2009, 12:48:05 AM »

I added a second recording of the LS03 to my post a couple up the thread, so you can compare the iBeam vs the guitar into a mic.  I also posted the same thin in the "Playing" section of the forum.

Danny say hi to the California Gang.
   Will do Matt. Tad, Lynn and I are getting together in just a few.

danny

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: 1 ... 18 [19] 20 ... 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: