Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D'Addario EXP lights.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Thank you sir! My new L-03R came with the Cleartone's I think, and I thought I had heard that's what they were using now. But I know that's not what I had read re: the Forum III's. So are they not necessarily using a standard string now or did they switch already? And how does everyone like these D'Addario EXP's? I usually use the EJ16's.
Taylor 310CE, Eastman E10D, Blueridge BR-160, Eastman T486

OK, I'm serious here, let me know what y'all think about me using some 1960 vintage (real deal) KLUSON tuners, in great shape. White butter bean style buttons.
    I was saving them for my 66 Gibson, but I may just polish up the nickle, lube the gears with teflon and give the "ole" F-III #1  a very distinctive look.
               So give me some feed back here...

danny

Like this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

I think those would look really good. I like the duller finish tuners on the satin finish anyway, and the white buttons would look good against the ebony overlay. Those would also add a nice antiqued look. Have the buttons yellowed any? That would be cool.

These have not yellowed much, but they are not bright white either.

I'm not supposed to ber eading this thread, but, I like the tuners a lot.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on April 07, 2009, 08:28:18 PM
I'm not supposed to ber eading this thread, but, I like the tuners a lot.

holly
why can't you read this thread?

Quote from: Safricanplayer on April 05, 2009, 12:18:48 AM

How does it sound?  Well, right out of the shoot, it absolutely exceeded my expectations. It's a lively, resonant and very well balanced guitar.  I find it surprisingly responsive for it's size, and overall it's just a real little gem. I've seen a couple of posts referring to a strong low end, and while describing tonal characteristics is a very subjective excercise, I don't think I'd describe this guitar as having a strong low end. The low end is definately not lacking, and there is an articulate quality to the low end, as opposed to more of a thump which I've experienced with a number of guitars. My Larrivee dred has a strong low end, this guitar exhibits very nice balance, particularly in the midrange.

I had a suspicion that the IS tops would really work out well on these guitars, and I'm pleased to report that IHMO these Forum III are going to be sought after instruments. I've played a number of OM-03RW's and none sounded as good as this one.... I don't believe there's anything on the market (that I'm aware of) at this price point to compete with these Forum III's.

I'll try and post some photo's tomorrow..

~ Ray ~

Well it's been a few days since this post, and more happy hours spent with this wee gem. While initially I did not agree with the "strong low end" comments posted by other Forum III owners, I now find myself in complete agreement with them. What's equally impressive, is the "character" of the low end. While strong, the low end does not dominate or muddy the sound ( a characteristic sometimes found in larger bodied guitars) but rather provides a foundation that supports a clean mid range and sweet highs.  The RW B&S provides some rich overtones and very nice sustain. I cant' wait to hear what these guitars will sound like once they've settled in a bit and have a year or so of maturing under their belt :smile:

~ Ray ~
Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

Ahhhh    some more of that ol "confirmatioin bias" rearing it's ugly head again I see. :wink:

How easily us un-educated are led into thinking that these are actually decent guitars.   :roll

Quote from: tuffythepug on April 07, 2009, 11:49:44 PM
Ahhhh    some more of that ol "confirmatioin bias" rearing it's ugly head again I see. :wink:

How easily us un-educated are led into thinking that these are actually decent guitars.   :roll
Lynn, I'll be in town tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing you play your f-III, or for that matter any of your gits. I'm bringing my 00-09FM. See ya soon.

danny

it's been almost a week since I've had my #77.
If I had to pick a word to describe this guitar would be "out spoken"
This guitar needs to be tamed a little.. if you know what I mean... this guitar is very sensitive that I can't hide any of my mistakes when playing...

I enjoy it very much.

there is a little bump on the neck from finishing.. that bugs me a little.. but I guess I'll have to get used to it..
Jeffrey

Does anyone else find the high E a little less pronounced (as in volume or projection) than the other strings?

Quote from: dragon1952 on April 08, 2009, 12:03:32 AM
Does anyone else find the high E a little less pronounced (as in volume or projection) than the other strings?
Your saddle may not be flat. I have not had any issues with mine. Did you get an undersaddle pick up?

Danny

I forgot to mention it was just the open E string.  :rolleye: I took some 500 grit sandpaper and creased it and ran it around the nut slot. I think there may have just been a little burr in there or something, and maybe the string was getting pinched a bit. I think it's OK now. 

dragon1952
glad to hear it was easily resolved.  Mine seems to be remarkably loud on all strings. . . especially for small bodied guitar such as this.  I didn't get the bone saddle on mine because I took it with me from the factory tour and Jim didn't have a chance to fit one for me.   I have a saddle and ebony pins  coming this week so I'll see if they make any difference.

Quote from: dependan on April 07, 2009, 07:01:38 PM
   OK, I'm serious here, let me know what y'all think about me using some 1960 vintage (real deal) KLUSON tuners, in great shape. White butter bean style buttons.
    I was saving them for my 66 Gibson, but I may just polish up the nickle, lube the gears with teflon and give the "ole" F-III #1  a very distinctive look.
               So give me some feed back here...

danny

You know danny, I think you have a keeper guitar. As such, you should do what ever floats your boat. Besides, I think you have the skills to be able to change it back without a sign of any work being done. So if you change your mind and don't like the look after all, no biggie. I say go for it.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

My F-3 all hog is on its way.  I have high hopes for this LiL hog.  I've tired a fair amount of guitars over the last year and my CA Legacy is the only keeper in the bunch.  Not much to say, but the wait seems like forever.... two more weeks I'm guessing

david
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Quote from: iDavid on April 08, 2009, 09:33:18 AM
My F-3 all hog is on its way.  I have high hopes for this LiL hog.  I've tired a fair amount of guitars over the last year and my CA Legacy is the only keeper in the bunch.  Not much to say, but the wait seems like forever.... two more weeks I'm guessing

david

david
Although the Italian Spruce was hard to pass up I went for the all hog as well.  I've often wondered if I would have been happier with the Spruce but every time I play my F-IIII hogtop my uncertainty disappears.   Your wait will be worth the reward.    :thumb