Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: dependan on April 05, 2009, 08:23:24 PM
I've been playing old Country songs, Merle, Hank, David Allen Coe. That last one "perfect country song" is kinda neat (ok "You never call me by my name)

Just to help out those unfamiliar with this song, Steve Goodman wrote "You Never Even Call Me By My Name" and sang it on his debut album. To my mind Steve Goodman was an absolute genius, and one of the greatest singer-songwriters this country has ever produced. And one hell of a nice man. I just checked and you can get Goodman's debut album from Amazon for only $6.99; anyone who doesn't own this CD is missing out on an incredible talent. As most people know Steve also wrote "City of New Orleans" but he wrote and performed many, many more amazing songs. And his voice was just sublime... I'd better stop before I get carried away any more.
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

Thanks Jordan and Ben.  The companion is a 12th Fret OM-03 from last year that has matured remarkably well.  The Forum III still needs to be given some serious noodling, but she's strikingly vibrant and has a great feel on the neck.

[attachment deleted by admin]
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

She' beautiful Stephen. Congratulations!  :nice guitar:
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Yoyodyne, I love Steve Goodman FYI and even Coes use of song was ok the first 2 or 300 times!
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on April 06, 2009, 05:27:22 PM
A few nights of having that blair out of jukebox on volume 11 at 2:30 a.m. while loading your equipment and manuvering thru the drunks to your truck and trying to get the least amount of beer possible spilled on you, will cure you of that song!  Sorry. I'll just move along now.............
That was the first time I ever played it , but I can understand your feeling about it.
Quote from: Yoyodyne on April 06, 2009, 05:56:38 PM
Just to help out those unfamiliar with this song, Steve Goodman wrote "You Never Even Call Me By My Name" and sang it on his debut album. To my mind Steve Goodman was an absolute genius, and one of the greatest singer-songwriters this country has ever produced. And one hell of a nice man. I just checked and you can get Goodman's debut album from Amazon for only $6.99; anyone who doesn't own this CD is missing out on an incredible talent. As most people know Steve also wrote "City of New Orleans" but he wrote and performed many, many more amazing songs. And his voice was just sublime... I'd better stop before I get carried away any more.
Yea, I figured I should have put the writers credit up for that one. Thanks,    Danny

Quote from: Stephen Basil on April 06, 2009, 06:03:53 PM
Thanks Jordan and Ben.  The companion is a 12th Fret OM-03 from last year that has matured remarkably well.  The Forum III still needs to be given some serious noodling, but she's strikingly vibrant and has a great feel on the neck.
Very cool and a nice picture.

Danny

#76/78 has landed. I haven't spent much time with her yet, but first impression is very favorable! I like it way better than my OMV-03R so far. BTW, I'm sure it came with Tusq bridge pins, same as my '08 L-03R. Next string change,  roll them around in your hand. They are 'tinkly', no way are they plastic. I'd already bought some bone w/abalone so I have them out, and I also have a set of stock Larrivee plastic pins. They are not the same material.

Taylor 310CE, Eastman E10D, Blueridge BR-160, Eastman T486

a couple more.....

Very pretty, I hope my #21 looks as nice!
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

Quote from: dragon1952 on April 06, 2009, 08:19:01 PM
#76/78 has landed. I haven't spent much time with her yet, but first impression is very favorable! I like it way better than my OMV-03R so far. BTW, I'm sure it came with Tusq bridge pins, same as my '08 L-03R. Next string change,  roll them around in your hand. They are 'tinkly', no way are they plastic. I'd already bought some bone w/abalone so I have them out, and I also have a set of stock Larrivee plastic pins. They are not the same material.

I'm keeping the TUSQ saddle on my Forum III. I got my Forum III early but I ended up with plastic pins. I don't suppose you or anyone else upgrading to the bone feels like mailing me their TUSQ pins?  :whistling:
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Here are 2 shots of the I/S RW :smile: This is really one sweet little guitar :nana_guitar

~ Ray ~

Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

#7 is supposed to be here on Thursday!   :nanadance  I can't wait!   :smile:

Mike
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

Quote from: limnephilidae on April 06, 2009, 10:44:00 PM
I'm keeping the TUSQ saddle on my Forum III. I got my Forum III early but I ended up with plastic pins. I don't suppose you or anyone else upgrading to the bone feels like mailing me their TUSQ pins?  :whistling:
Those are tusq, which is "plastic", they all received the same pins from large tubs of the dark ones or the light ones, depending on which tonewood you have.

danny

Nice guitars folks!

My all Hog was just delivered this AM, but I won't be able to open her up 'til tomorrow.      :crying:  I'm on the road most of today.

Pictures by the weekend, though!   :thumbsup

Congratulations Stephen- beautiful guitar. That is the first pictures I have seen of the cutaway.  What did you play first?

I eagerly await my guitar.   This has truly been a joy to be a part of.  I have especially enjoyed reading everyone's excitement and anticipation.  What a nice way to bring a group of people together from lots of different locations with the same interest and enthusiasm.

Again- thanks for the pictures!!! 

Thanks for the thumb's up morrow22

Are you also getting a cutaway?  I had one briefly a Blueridge, OOO Martin knock off that I really liked and thought that this would be a great mate for the OM.
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

Quote from: Stephen Basil on April 07, 2009, 12:41:54 PM

Are you also getting a cutaway? 

I am, though mine is a mahogany back/sides.  Can't wait!  The shape looks fantastic.

Adam

Quote from: dependan on April 07, 2009, 08:57:31 AM
  Those are tusq, which is "plastic", they all received the same pins from large tubs of the dark ones or the light ones, depending on which tonewood you have.

danny

Yes, Danny's correct.....technically they are still plastic, but they are nowhere remotely like the old plastic. If you roll them together in your hand they sound like glass, and if you bite on them (yes, I'm embarrassed to say I have tried it), they don't dent like plastic. I would think they perform much closer to bone than plastic.

My wife just called to say that a guitar had been delivered to the house. I wonder what it could be?
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Stephen, nope I am not getting the cutaway.  But I really like the way they turned out, as with all the other guitars.

Has anyone found a drop-in tuner yet? Also, I know this has been posted but I can't find it.....what strings were these strung with at the factory?  :whistling: