Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on April 05, 2009, 04:32:11 PM
Mike   i felt so bad when your guitar was not ready at the 3/16 visit. So glad you have it now!
Jim Holler

Thanks, Jim. I tried to take it with calm Zen-like detachment, except for that unfortunate lapse where I was lying on the floor of the factory, moaning and sobbing uncontrollably while beating my fists on the ground. 

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on April 05, 2009, 07:41:54 PM
Thanks, Jim. I tried to take it with calm Zen-like detachment, except for that unfortunate lapse where I was lying on the floor of the factory, moaning and sobbing uncontrollably while beating my fists on the ground. 
As it turned out Mike you got yours before some who were there on the tour. I think if somehow they wouldn't have let me have mine I would still be in Canada today, looking through some windows with bars on them. :blush:

danny

On another note. Here is an impression after just putting mine back on the stand next to me.

I made a bone saddle higher than my first bone saddle to try out strumming. I've been playing old Country songs, Merle, Hank, David Allen Coe. That last one "perfect country song" is kinda neat (ok "You never call me by my name)

Anyway I never expected to be able to strum this little guitar and have it sound so clear and punchy. I just am saying that it surprised me. I knew it would be a fine fingerstyle guitar, but this is beyond my expectations.

After a while I'll put the low saddle back and have it "play like butter"   

danny

I have now had a day to spend with my RW/IS, and I am starting to get my thoughts together about this -

The rosewood is quite beautiful, nice color, but the satin finish hides too much of its color and grain. The top seems just a little yellow, but I think it is again, the finish, and I think it will age in nicely. It has subtle racing stripes, mineral lines in the spruce, and the grain is tight across the top but just starts to widen at the outmost edges of the lower bout. Very light but clear silking across the whole top - Very nice/beautiful - 

The neck is nice, but the sides are a bit more square, rather than oval, compared to my other Larrivees. Not a complaint, works fine, but just a bit different. Fret ends finished very well, bone saddle well set-up, action good and even. The strings seem a bit more "slinky" than I am used to  - I will be anxious to hear it with some EJ16s which I am more familiar with, or I am still anxious to try out some EJ19s. Intonation just a tiny, tiny bit off, but I don't believe that is a problem, and once it is acclimatized here in a couple months, I will get it tweaked just a tiny bit - par for the course with any guitar I've had.

The tone is bright and punchy, good bass and fantastic sustain, huge presence. This is not a guitar that needs to "open up", but it does need to age and settle in - and that might be my only "complaint". This is my very first, brand new guitar. In fact, this guitar was just getting glued up and painted just a few weeks ago. And it feels too new - it is like a new tool, which still has a few edges that need to get worn-in, but it also has a voice that needs some tempering/aging. I want to rub the body and neck out with some 0000 steel wool and a good carnuba paste wax, and then buff it out. That should make the surface a little slicker. Then I think this needs to get " the snot played out of it", so the box and its braces "vibrate in" and age  with each other for a while,  at which point this is going to be an awesome little guitar - It will be the envy of many in 10 years, and it certainly is pretty darn nice right now -

Now I am anxious to get the hog/IS model, so I can really hear the two voices next to each other - The rosewood has lots of overtones and is incredibly resonant - I can only imagine the mahogany will offer a distinctly different flavor, but the presence of this spruce is so overwhelming I cannot even guess how the mahogany will respond -

Anyway, I got alot more playing to do on this so I can wear these strings out and try something else - Better get to it -  :bgrin:

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on April 05, 2009, 04:44:08 PM
Well,   I have seen, set up and played a lot of Forum III guitars by now. Don't ask how many I am not sure. We all have to thank John Jr and his crew for doing such a great job on these guitars. Yes mine is here. Not set up yet however yours have been keeping me busy. I played it out last wensday with my folk / bluegrass partner and it did very well with the banjo! I do like this little guitar. More to follow just wanted to reconnect and tell you all I am working hard and loving it.
Jim Holler

Jim,

I've been thinking about you. Even while the ordering process was still open back in December-January, you have been keeping farmer's working hours. Make sure you take some rest and glad to hear you even take time to jam with your bluegrass friend(s).

I imagine time flies so fast in setting up one F III after another. Good to know we have a professional luthier who takes pleasure in what he does. The result of your work should be the satisfaction of F III owners. I'm glad to hear everyone is quite pleased with theirs.

Thanks so much for responding to this project very early on. Not knowing any better back then, I was told by the senior forum members here that it's critical to have a dealer right away to lend credibility to this project. Thanks for jumping right in - even when 16 became 78... and then some!  :smile:

We appreciate you Jim. Keep up the good work and keep going the extra mile so that every client of yours will not only be repeat customers, but clients for life.

Warmly,

ricky

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on April 02, 2009, 08:40:35 PM

I watched Edwin do it at the factory this afternoon and it does look a little bit tricky. However, he did say that they take a while to settle so you may not be in as bad shape as first appears.

Mike,

So happy you finally got your git. Sorry I couldn't be there to pick it up with you (like I day dreamed - was that last week or 2 ago).

It's just as well that I wasn't there at the Factory, I'm afraid I'll refuse to leave without carrying a guitar out - like the 3/16 experience. Or maybe, I would chain myself to the parlor top we found with the enlarged soundhole. Cling to the lonely neck with a killer headstock. And go on hunger strike, until they make me a parlor OO - and all gloss - yes, they can make anything in the Vancouver Factory. (money talks).

I may have just described the next special order, only I think people want an OO slothead - limited run or FG IV - but hey, I digressed already.

BTW, did the clear pick guard finally settle in? I guess, it shows more because of the darker color of the hog top?

Enjoy! ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on April 06, 2009, 12:54:04 AM
Mike,

BTW, did the clear pick guard finally settle in? I guess, it shows more because of the darker color of the hog top?

Enjoy! ricky

It has settled somewhat I think, from certain angles you don't really see it, from others it is quite visible. I'm not absolutely certain it was necessary to have it installed given my style(s) of playing, but it's there now for better or worse.

Mike

Quote from: tadol on April 05, 2009, 11:51:09 PM
I have now had a day to spend with my RW/IS, and I am starting to get my thoughts together about this -

Tad,

What I'm really curious about is how your LSV-11 compares with your F III rw/IS.  Thinking back during our time at Mike's place last 3/16,

I would have loved to have done a comparison between your LSV-11 and my LSV-03R FIII.

When you have a chance, would you a/b your two LS rw's please? I want to know how a 14-fret short scale compares with a 12-fret; Sitka top vs IS top?

Of course, I know you can't  play your LSV-11 very long - so don't hurt yourself... glad you finally got your git.

Cheers,

ricky

Geez... am I the only one who has not received thier FIII ? 

Still looking daily for that tracking info from Jim, but no word yet.

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor

Don't worry, you're not the only one. Still waitin' too...
Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33

Quote from: LookingForLarri on April 06, 2009, 11:20:32 AM
Geez... am I the only one who has not received thier FIII ? 

Still looking daily for that tracking info from Jim, but no word yet.

I'm #13 ordered on Dec 12th and it has not been shipped from the factory yet.  :crying:  No, you're not alone.
Not sure why, if they were all done before the first shipment they didn't send them out in the order they were ordered. Oh well it is what it is.  Hope it gets here before I leave for the summer.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I am still anxiously awaiting mine.  Best for last, as they say....

mary
:blush:

For those still waiting...

Its worth the wait!!!!  Just be patient.  Just think about how good a glass of water tastes to someone who just wandered out of the desert...

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:
:nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance :nanadance

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

I got a call from Jim on Saturday. Should be out today! Yippie!!!!
Bet I have mine in a couple of days. Hang in there folks.
PO5 MT Larrivee Parlor (sold darn it)
Hog Weissenborn Lap Slide
Republic Reso-Relic Tricone
Stew-Mac A-Style Mandolin (Kit)

Here's Number 55-  I haven't had her for more than fifteen minutes, but she's light, powerful and surprisingly open and easy to play! 

[attachment deleted by admin]
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

Stephen,

Congrats!!!!  Beautiful guitar.  The rosewood/cutaway combo looks stunning.  Enjoy!!!!!

:nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar:
:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Congratulations Stephen- beautiful guitar. That is the first pictures I have seen of the cutaway.  What did you play first?

I eagerly await my guitar.   This has truly been a joy to be a part of.  I have especially enjoyed reading everyone's excitement and anticipation.  What a nice way to bring a group of people together from lots of different locations with the same interest and enthusiasm.

Again- thanks for the pictures!!!  :thumbsup :nice guitar:

:nice guitar:

It's good to see anothe rosewood one.  Looks really nice with the cutaway.  Is that an OM-60 it has befriended?  Really shows the lightness of the IS.  
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: dependan on April 05, 2009, 08:23:24 PM
  That last one "perfect country song" is kinda neat (ok "You never call me by my name)
A few nights of having that blair out of jukebox on volume 11 at 2:30 a.m. while loading your equipment and manuvering thru the drunks to your truck and trying to get the least amount of beer possible spilled on you, will cure you of that song!  Sorry. I'll just move along now.............
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.