Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wow, that is an absolutely gorgeous guitar! And I agree, the mahogany used there is definitely something special...
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 01, 2009, 09:12:40 AM
That is definitely not 03 series Mahogany.

What's the difference?
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 01, 2009, 09:12:40 AM
That is definitely not 03 series Mahogany. Congrats on the arrival Jeff.
Actually, it looks just like the hog on my former L-03MT.  What makes it different?  Sight, sound, feel?

Sure does look nice.
Play it daily for best results.

I just got a call from Jim Holler regarding set up of my Forum III, I guess I was lucky to be among the first gits shipped to him.  Delightful conversation, Thanks Jim for all your efforts on this project.  I'm thinking of my first tune on this baby..............Probably  John Fayhes version of "In Christ There is  no East nor West" or "The Piano Movers Rag"...let the fun begin!

Quote from: aardvark on April 01, 2009, 04:06:57 PM
I just got a call from Jim Holler regarding set up of my Forum III, I guess I was lucky to be among the first gits shipped to him.  Delightful conversation, Thanks Jim for all your efforts on this project.  I'm thinking of my first tune on this baby..............Probably  John Fayhes version of "In Christ There is  no East nor West" or "The Piano Movers Rag"...let the fun begin!

Great news, hope you have it with you very soon!!  :thumbsup

Hope mine is in the next batch, this waiting business is hell!!!!!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on April 01, 2009, 04:11:55 PM
Great news, hope you have it with you very soon!!  :thumbsup

Hope mine is in the next batch, this wating business is hell!!!!!!
do you want some new pics of a F-III, 00 and a OM-21 side by side to help the wait a little?

danny

Quote from: dependan on April 01, 2009, 04:52:57 PM
  do you want some new pics of a F-III, 00 and a OM-21 side by side to help the wait a little?

danny

of course
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: dependan on April 01, 2009, 04:52:57 PM

danny

Go for it.  It would be an interesting comparison.

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

I'll put a couple here and start a thread in pictures. I finally took a bunch of pics of my OM-21 also and some came out pretty good to show it's vintage look and natural patina.

danny

Quote from: dependan on April 01, 2009, 05:42:41 PM
I'll put a couple here and start a thread in pictures. I finally took a bunch of pics of my OM-21 also and some came out pretty good to show it's vintage look and natural patina.

danny

Your comment about "natural patina" makes me wonder if our Forum III guitars are going to darken in color as they age.  My D-03 has quite a mellow yellow color to it now that its 6 years old.  I'm wondering if anyone who owns a 5+ year old mahogany top guitar has noticed that it has changed/darkened in color over time?  Tuffy's OOO looks quite a bit darker compared to his FIII. 

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Three Amigos

You can see how the OM-21 and the F-III are very close in size, the 00 is a nice size git too.

The 00-09FM has a deeper body but as you can see a smaller lower bout. The OM-21 and F-III are the same

Quote from: Dotneck on April 01, 2009, 12:28:51 PM
What's the difference?

I just assumed that the better grade Mahogany was more even grained without the stripes or darker areas.  I only base that on the fact that his top looked more like my P-05 top than my OM.
Now mind you, I love the look of both.
Quote from: es-335 on April 01, 2009, 12:02:28 AM

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Jagadis on April 01, 2009, 05:58:10 PMe
Your comment about "natural patina" makes me wonder if our Forum III guitars are going to darken in color as they age.  My D-03 has quite a mellow yellow color to it now that its 6 years old.  I'm wondering if anyone who owns a 5+ year old mahogany top guitar has noticed that it has changed/darkened in color over time?  Tuffy's OOO looks quite a bit darker compared to his FIII. 

Jordan.
Here is my 1959 Goya with an Italian Spruce top, It's a bit beat up but you can see how it will darken over time. I don't think Hog darkens that much. But then all finishes yellow a bit so the hog may take on a orange hue. If you sand off the finish on these old gits it is white under there.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: dependan on April 01, 2009, 06:13:04 PM
I don't think Hog darkens that much. But then all finishes yellow a bit so the hog may take on a orange hue. If you sand off the finish on these old gits it is white under there.

Enough to make the tan line dissappear.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Jagadis on April 01, 2009, 05:58:10 PM

Jordan.

Jordan
Just a reply to your comment on my 000 compared to my FIII.    The 000-50mt is less than a year old so it hasn't darkened at all since I  got it.   The wood is just naturally darker.  I've been told that Larrivee does not stain their mahogany so it is just naturally darker I guess.   The gloss shouldn't have much effect on the perceived darkness of the wood I don't think.
Other than the darker color, I believe the Forum III wood closely resembles the mahogany on the 000 which should be their "select" wood.   I'm still toying with the idea of glossing the Forum III...  haven't decided yet.

Quote from: tuffythepug on April 01, 2009, 07:38:18 PM
Other than the darker color, I believe the Forum III wood closely resembles the mahogany on the 000 which should be their "select" wood.   I'm still toying with the idea of glossing the Forum III...  haven't decided yet.

This is going to be an interesting dilemma :winkin: A part of me thinks glossing the top will really look good. It will be interesting to see who's first to gloss their Forum III. My guess it one brave soul enters the water and others will follow :nana_guitar

~ Ray ~
Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 01, 2009, 06:04:49 PM
I just assumed that the better grade Mahogany was more even grained without the stripes or darker areas.  I only base that on the fact that his top looked more

I see that the mahogany on the parlor is more uniform than the OM....although I don't have a 'hog top...the back of my forum OM looks closer to your parlor than to your OM. It will be interesting to see a larger sample of the Forum III guitars to see how they look as a group.
Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: Safricanplayer on April 02, 2009, 12:52:27 AM
A part of me thinks glossing the top will really look good. It will be interesting to see who's first to gloss their Forum III. My guess it one brave soul enters the water and others will follow :nana_guitar
~ Ray ~

I'll probably do mine...once I determine if its a guitar I want to keep....
Larrivee 00-70 
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Hogtops definitely darken, my Forum I has.  There's a pretty distinct tanline underneath the pickguard.  Beautiful OM-05 Dan!
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Just got it!  Here's a couple quick pics of the Forum III next to my old D-28:

I'll take some better ones later and post my impressions, but it's safe to say I am really going to enjoy this guitar.
1971 Martin D-28
Larrivee LS-03 Forum III