Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think in transit means it is headed toward the local hub and it will say out for delivery if it is on the truck.
FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

Quote from: es-335 on March 31, 2009, 04:15:18 PM
it doesn't show the delivery date.
I think with the shipping method that Larrivee used, estimated delivery dating isn't an option.

Although I am not hoping, but I am pretty sure it'll come tomorrow.
now that I think of it, IIRC, it usually says "out for delivery" when it's on the delivery truck...
O well :)

Last week, my order didn't show a delivery date until it arrived at the local hub for Toronto in Concord (day before delivery).  A delivery date then showed up on the Tracking status the day before delivery.  The following morning, status changed to "out for delivery".  It should update later tonight.  Keep checking.

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Got my tracking info from Trinity Guitars this morning... this is going to be a long week.     :whistling:
1971 Martin D-28
Larrivee LS-03 Forum III

Does this mean that the first batch of guitars has arrived with Jim Holler?  Those referred to thus far have been the Canadian direct shipping ones have they not?

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

I will post some pictures of it later, but I'm bouncing between work and playing guitar at the moment.  :whistling:

For the record, I have the LS-0R with herringbone with the factory strings still on it. The guitar itself is beautiful to look at and though I was so distracted by work at the time I actually gasped when I first opened the case.

I had time to strum it and fingerpick it with some favorite tunes, but not enough time to really work it. I'm definitely going to be putting on the clear pickguard because I don't think I could resist strumming this little baby.

The sound is very distinctly Larrivee so don't expect anything radically different from your L-03R (or L-03). The subtleties in the tone however are very distinct, I thought I would be able to compare it more to my D-60 MR but that guitar is very different. The first thing I noticed was that the tone was warm and smooth. The bell-like quality of the adirondack that I was expecting is there in a small degree, but it is more subdued. Play an open G and you'll see why I love rosewood; the overtones are complex but not distracting. This guitar seems to be more bass heavy in terms of tone than my L-03R, though the volume of the low end is not nearly as strong. The trebles are clear but not shrill. I would have to agree with Dan and say that the top feels almost played in. In the end, I would say the guitar is sort of like a polite, refined, and loyal friend.

If it is any indication to you about how much I like this guitar, then I should let you know that I will be looking for an additional Forum LS-03 (Hog B&S) to pair up with my rosewood.

Pictures to come....I promise.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: BenF on March 31, 2009, 05:12:50 PM
Does this mean that the first batch of guitars has arrived with Jim Holler?  Those referred to thus far have been the Canadian direct shipping ones have they not?

Ben,

Yes they have. He received them yesterday. 16 in all.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Adam, congratulations. Sounds like you have a wonderful guitar. I was happy to see that you gasped when you opened the case. That was exactly how I felt and reacted when I pulled mine off the rack in Vancouver.  :gotpics:

limnephilidae...

Sounds like you reacted the same way that I did when I cracked open the case.  These guitars are really special and regardless of your expectations, its such a shock when you finally get to see the guitar for the first time.  Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy.  Looking forward to your pictures and additional comments.

Jordan.

Quote from: limnephilidae on March 31, 2009, 05:57:22 PM
I will post some pictures of it later, but I'm bouncing between work and playing guitar at the moment.  :whistling:

For the record, I have the LS-0R with herringbone with the factory strings still on it. The guitar itself is beautiful to look at and I though I was so distracted by work at the time I actually gasped when I first open the case.

I had time to strum it and fingerpick it with some favorite tunes, but not enough time to really work it. I'm definitely going to be putting on the clear pickguard because I don't think I could resist strumming this little baby.

The sound is very distinctly Larrivee so don't expect anything radically different from your L-03R (or L-03). The subtleties in the tone however are very distinct, I thought I would be able to compare it more to my D-60 MR but that guitar is very different. The first thing I noticed was that the tone was warm and smooth. The bell-like quality of the adirondack that I was expecting is there in a small degree, but it is more subdued. Play an open G and you'll see why I love rosewood; the overtones are complex but not distracting. This guitar seems to be more bass heavy in terms of tone than my L-03R, though the volume of the low end is not nearly as strong. The trebles are clear but not shrill. I would have to agree with Dan and say that the top feels almost played in. In the end, I would say the guitar is sort of like a polite, refined, and loyal friend.

If it is any indication to you about how much I like this guitar, then I should let you know that I will be looking for an additional Forum LS-03 (Hog B&S) to pair up with my rosewood.

Pictures to come....I promise.
Thanks for a very detailed review, I think what you stated is what I heard from the RW F-III's being played in V'couver. I'll stay tuned for more.

danny

Man o man...

These guitars smell so damn good.  Is it my imagination?  Danny says its the case.  I just can't get enough of that "Eau d'Forum III".  Great excuse to get the guitar out and play!

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Jordan.

Does everyone's tuners look like tuffy's so far, with the tuner screw hole directly below the tuner as opposed to angled out towards the center?
Taylor 310CE, Eastman E10D, Blueridge BR-160, Eastman T486

Quote from: dragon1952 on March 31, 2009, 09:18:33 PM
Does everyone's tuners look like tuffy's so far, with the tuner screw hole directly below the tuner as opposed to angled out towards the center?
YUP

The tuners will be consistent - They had 2 tubs of them, right and left, and tubs of the common parts. Amazing to watch how fast Edwin was able to install 6 of them - If we hadn't been standing over him kibitzing, he could have probably finished a guitar in about 90 seconds - Give him another 3 minutes, and he'd have the saddle fitted, the guitar strung, tuned, and neck adjusted.

Amazing skill level - One of the best -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

My sweet #77 came while I was gone to work..

here are some photos..

more photos posted in the picture thread
@
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=26259.msg237037#new
Jeffrey

Beautiful Jeff.  Congratulations.    These are pretty special aren't they.
That is definitely some nice mahogany.

You all Hog guys are cornering the market!

Next thing you know, you will all be playing "Lefty"

See what your started, Tuffy?
FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

Quote from: es-335 on April 01, 2009, 12:04:01 AM
My sweet #77 came while I was gone to work..

here are some photos..

more photos posted in the picture thread
@
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=26259.msg237037#new

nice to see a non-HB hog, thanks

I can't wait to get mine!

david
Larrivee Forum-III all hog

Uh Oh, Tuffy now you got competition... just kiddin... wow what a SWEEEEEET looking git.
Enjoy Jeff... full report required in all the gushing details ;-)

danny

Jeff, she's a real looker. Congratulations and let's have some pics of the back please.

Quote from: es-335 on April 01, 2009, 12:04:01 AM

That is definitely not 03 series Mahogany. Congrats on the arrival Jeff.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"