Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 ... 52   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum III impressions and discussion  (Read 119279 times)
iDavid

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2009, 01:06:29 AM »

Man am I digging the look of the all HOG, so glad I'm getting ONE

are bridge pins plastic or ebony on the F3 and do they have paua dots?

david

Larrivee Forum-III all hog
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2009, 01:17:31 AM »

Man am I digging the look of the all HOG, so glad I'm getting ONE

are bridge pins plastic or ebony on the F3 and do they have paua dots?

david
   Got dots and they are plastic.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2009, 04:38:27 AM »

The IS was from 1972 apparently.  It was Danny who new about it, having been shown it by JCL on a previous factory visit, and he who suggested it for the forum guitars.  There was an additional cost implication if I remember correctly.

The mahogany and the rosewood were supposed to be typical 03 series woods, but it is becomming apparent that the staff in Vancouver have hand picked some very impressive woods, perhaps arguably more suited to the 05 and 09 series of instruments.  For this I am very grateful.  From the details on Facebook, it is also apparent to me that this has been a great project for the Larrivee staff as well as the forum members.

Ben

Actually, I recall that I was the one to suggest Italian Spruce initially. I read about in a 12th Fret web page and heard about it while in the store. Danny quickly chimed (since he had actually seen it) in and championed it from that point onwards, so I don't want to steal his thunder. Also I think it would have been suggested by someone else eventually since it was a good idea. I don't mean to be a total a$$, but it would be nice to get a bit of the credit. There were a few others that contributed directly to the specifications early on in Ricky's posting about what Larrivee model we would bring back. A lot of these forum members who, like myself, were not "core" members are kind of left out of the list of people who tried to drive some solid specifications. If someone wants to prove me wrong they're welcome to look through the many posts.

Again, sorry for the sour grapes about such a trivial item, but I think there's a few newer forum members that deserve at least a tiny slice of the credit for driving the FIII to completion.

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
Safricanplayer

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2009, 05:19:48 AM »

Actually, I recall that I was the one to suggest Italian Spruce initially. I read about in a 12th Fret web page and heard about it while in the store. Danny quickly chimed (since he had actually seen it) in and championed it from that point onwards, so I don't want to steal his thunder. Also I think it would have been suggested by someone else eventually since it was a good idea. I don't mean to be a total a$$, but it would be nice to get a bit of the credit. There were a few others that contributed directly to the specifications early on in Ricky's posting about what Larrivee model we would bring back. A lot of these forum members who, like myself, were not "core" members are kind of left out of the list of people who tried to drive some solid specifications. If someone wants to prove me wrong they're welcome to look through the many posts.

Again, sorry for the sour grapes about such a trivial item, but I think there's a few newer forum members that deserve at least a tiny slice of the credit for driving the FIII to completion.

No problem with giving / taking credit where it's due.. I'm just really excited to get my 2 Forum III's . As one is actually for my daughter, so I'll be in the enviable position of being able to spend time with both my 'all hog' and Megans IS/RW. Should be fun and I'll probably post a comparitive review once I've had a chance to spend some time with them. I have particularly high expectations for the Italian Spruce vs their Sitka spruce tops, as I know that Italian is an upgrade by most, if not all, boutique luthiers.

I got to the Forum long after the discussions regarding spec's and wood choices had been decided for the Forum 111. So, to any and all who had input in bringing the Forum III to fruition, a round of applause and many thanks .  I just hope the guitars live up to the hype

~ Ray ~

Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Eichelbaum OM ~ Euro Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Larrivee Forum III ~ All Hog
dragon1952

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2009, 05:22:06 AM »

Well, let me be the second to thank you on your contribution(s)    I would like to thank everyone else also..... forum members, Larrivee family, Jim Holler, et al. It's an awesomely spec'ed git, you all did a great job, and I feel very fortunate to have gotten in on this at such a late date. This is going to be very cool  

OK....everything from now on 100% positive. Everyone, sit down in a dimly lit room, close your eyes, hug your Forum III if ya got 'em. If you don't, then pretend you do....and listen to this at a nice relaxing volume.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR3dM-GlZK8&feature=related

Taylor 310CE, Eastman E10D, Blueridge BR-160, Eastman T486
JAD

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2009, 06:01:50 AM »

All of the F-III forum gits are LS models, there is a thread that has a list of "extras" that are available, I'll find the link to it.

Here is the Link       http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=26164.msg236306#msg236306

Thank you, Danny.
JAD
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2009, 07:46:51 AM »

OK.    I have no problem givng credit for the good ideas that were generated by the many folks who were involved in the formation of the Forum III specs early on.   I don't believe anyone intended to take credit for anyone elses suggestions.    The forum record shows the following:

On Nov. 30 at 10:57:20 am Limnephilidae wrote:  ..."with regards to top I would like it to be spruce (sitka, italian, adi, or whatever)   Sitka has the tonal balance to satisfy everyone's needs"

That is the first mention of Italian Spruce on the original thread entitled "Orphan Larris, what if"
That was the genesis of the discussion of bringing back a discontinued Larrivee model that eventually became the Forum III we are all talking about now.

On the same day, Nov. 30 at 7:31:49 pm Dependan wrote:  "Some may remember this,  JCL showed me a stack of Italian Spruce at Yarnell Place.  That may be something a little special we might consider if it's not all spoken for"

So, there you have it.  Credit for the first mention of Italian Spruce in the context of this project goes to Limnephilidae.   Danny was close behind with some information that was crucial to getting the stuff actually included on the Forum III specs.   

Honestly, if we were to sit down and list everyone who played an important part in getting the Forum III off the ground we would have  a very long list.   
So, to any else who may feel left out as far as getting credit for their input and suggestions on this project, ... Thank you one and all.  Without the help of all involved it would not have happened.  From Rickys first post, Tad's urging of the LS size, Danny's contributions regarding depth and tone wood choices, Limnephilidae's suggestion of Ital. Spruce and everyone else who chimed in with great ideas we all managed to create a guitar that is living up to everyone's expectaions thus far.   There's plenty of credit to go around.   Thank you all.

T
dragon1952

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2009, 07:56:22 AM »

Right on....well said! Now let's go out there and enjoy them gits 

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2009, 09:24:19 AM »

Sincere apologies Adam. I was trying to answer kinnez's question, apologies for getting it wrong. I think there are a lot of people who deserve credit, either directly through a suggestion for a specification, or indirectly through their participation in discussions and the enthusiasm that meant the original thread didn't die like others before it.

No harm intended.

Ben

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2009, 11:49:28 AM »

Thanks Adam for clarifying this and thanks Tuffy for digging up the November 30 posts.

I'm just so thankful for all the persons who contributed. It's good to have our historical details accurate.

Glad to have asked the "What if" question regarding orphaned Larris.   You know what? I have other questions.

Like, if the Italian Spruce is so good on the LS body, can you imagine what it would be like to have it in an OM, or L, or SD --- all 12-fret to the body?

It would be awesome to have Forums V, VI, VII right there - 'cause maybe, just maybe, the next one may very well be an OO.

Oh well... thanks again to all who contributed to make the FG III such a wonderful, tangible, real, and take-my-breath-away guitar!

ricky
Hogtop

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »

I have had absolutely nothing to do with the Forum III guitars!!!!!! 
Thanks to all who have. I am now waiting on a most special instrument due to your efforts and wise dissisions on the specs and tonewood selections. It's getting close
(I helped buy the  's)
If I ever get the pleasure of meeting any of you, I'll buy the  !

PO5 MT Larrivee Parlor (sold darn it)
Hog Weissenborn Lap Slide
Republic Reso-Relic Tricone
Stew-Mac A-Style Mandolin (Kit)
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2009, 01:00:06 PM »

Lynn, you forgot to give yourself credit for the very special three markers on the 12th fret. To me, that is very special and I will ALWAYS remember you because of it. 

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2009, 01:49:23 PM »

I forgot about Adam's post, glad to see that brought up and as usual Tuffy the Pug put it altogether nicely.

One thing I've learned in my business (also do to my aggressive personality) I'm either a "hero"or a "zero" there is usually no grey area. Sometimes hero and zero in the same day. The point is right now these are getting glowing reviews so the hero limelight is on. It won't be long and the zero light will be lit up.
   Anyway, no doubt it took a lot of people to bring this to where it is, and I am just glad we made it. I think it's an achievement all in itself that so many very opinionated, strong characters could agree to the point we did to pull together and get 16 ordered. Which of course took off like a rocket ( about the time TtP got on board btw) and now we have even more than 78 for all the forum to enjoy.

Good job Larrivee Forum, and thank you Adam and everyone who contributed.

danny

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
GeeNorm

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »

How could I ... at this time of year ... forget about that first SWEET SIXTEEN?

At least these sweet guitars are a result of collaboration and not (too much) competition!

Some may remember I only joined the forum in November, just in time for this tremendous roller coaster ride. I am afraid to ask what comes next.

This project pushed pretty much all of my guitar hot buttons. It also brought out the best in a number of people who started as strangers and became my friends. I am glad to have experienced the last five months with you fine folks.

Norman

Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}
Jagadis

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2009, 04:26:13 PM »

At least these sweet guitars are a result of collaboration and not (too much) competition!

Some may remember I only joined the forum in November, just in time for this tremendous roller coaster ride. I am afraid to ask what comes next.

This project pushed pretty much all of my guitar hot buttons. It also brought out the best in a number of people who started as strangers and became my friends. I am glad to have experienced the last five months with you fine folks.

Norman

Norm,

I couldn't have said it better!  This project was a game changer for me too.  I learned so much from reading everyone's notes over the last 4 months and its been so much fun.  Lots of new friends for me too.

What everyone will notice once they get their new guitars is that every time you open the case and pickup the guitar to play it, its a special experience.  What makes it so special is all the thought, planning, discussion, negotiation, that preceded it being in your hands to play.  You take it out of the case, admire the beautiful wood, catch a whiff of that new guitar smell, feel how nice it sits in your lap and how comfortable the 12 fret neck feels in your hands and then...you strike that first chord...and you know that something really special is going on.  Its a magical moment. 

Jordan.

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »

Oh my god! I just played Bella for the first time in over a week and I can't believe the tone. She even makes my crappy playing sound good 

If anybody is on the fence about picking up a Forum III that are available as extras, see thread, please don't hesitate. This guitar will not disappoint. Wow is all I can say.

es-335

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2009, 06:55:05 PM »

Norman

Yes, the first sixteen!! :) good memories eh?

Jeffrey

Jagadis

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2009, 08:33:03 PM »

Finally got my son to take a pict of me with the Forum III.  Puts a face to the name...

Jordan.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2009, 08:55:03 PM »

Nice to meet you Jordan and the guitar is gorgeous.

dragon1952

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2009, 09:41:12 PM »

Did anyone get a pickup installed in their Forum III?

Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 ... 52   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: