Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I truly think that Larrivee/Vancouver put extra effort into these. I have never played a Larrivee like this one ever.
The box vibrates like a lightly braced custom git. I don't know if it's just the IS top though, because Jordan has expressed how his all hog does this also, though his tone description is 180 degrees form the MH/IS.

I am so encouraged with the outcome on these F-III's and look forward to more input as members receive there new gits. I hope everyone who receives one would post at least a few comments.

danny

Now I'm getting pretty excited.  I've been insanely busy with work and personal stuff (9 month old at home!) lately, but seeing pics of the finished instruments at home is piquing my interest. 

Looking forward to more reviews of the IS/hog combo, especially the few with the cutaway! 

Adam

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 27, 2009, 10:30:44 AM

translation please.

It's term used to describe how people can subjectively evaluate their decisions or impressions by seeking those opinions in others that confirm their own beliefs. If I believe that Global Warming is an immediate threat to our biosphere brought on by man then I may ignore data that might suggest we are on a geological trend of warming and that it may as much do to natural processes as it is to SUVs and cow farts. Instead, I would go to Al Gore's website and follow only the links he provides me to read. Another example would be voting by proxy for John Stewart. Yet another example would be filtering out Larrivee reviews or advertisements in magazines and ignoring others.

For the record, I am actually playing devil's advocate in my examples above. I just think that we need to keep an open mind in arenas that operate on a geological time scale or with a history as long as a sound-bite.

Marshall McLuhan suggested that we only ever pay attention to advertisements for products we already have.  :bgrin:
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: GA-ME on March 27, 2009, 10:17:16 AM
Confirmation Bias?

Since guitars have names and personalities, let's not forget the PT Barnum Effect.  They must be having the time of their lives :humour:

If it sounds good, it is good.

Translate this "sour grapes"  :whistling:

danny

I'm probably 3-4 weeks from receiving my LS-03R.  I have been really low key about its arrival since I don't want to be non-plussed when I see and hear it.  The last thing you'll see me doing is gushing praise during the honeymoon period with the guitar.  Having bought and sold 4 Larrivees I am cautiously optimistic.

12-fret guitars do seem to kick out a lot of volume for the size so I am not surprised at the postings talking about that.  Classical guitars are similar.
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: limnephilidae on March 27, 2009, 10:42:50 AM
It's term used to describe how people can subjectively evaluate their decisions or impressions by seeking those opinions in others that confirm their own beliefs. If I believe that Global Warming is an immediate threat to our biosphere brought on by man then I may ignore data that might suggest we are on a geological trend of warming and that it may as much do to natural processes as it is to SUVs and cow farts. Instead, I would go to Al Gore's website and follow only the links he provides me to read. Another example would be voting by proxy for John Stewart. Yet another example would be filtering out Larrivee reviews or advertisements in magazines and ignoring others.

For the record, I am actually playing devil's advocate in my examples above. I just think that we need to keep an open mind in arenas that operate on a geological time scale or with a history as long as a sound-bite.

Marshall McLuhan suggested that we only ever pay attention to advertisements for products we already have.  :bgrin:

limnephilidae, most cool, you're the first bug I ever heard of to know a bit of cognative theory!

Man my G.E.D. did'nt have innyteen bout kno cogs n theery's :blush:

Mine is on the way!! it got shipped yesterday(thursday)..

considering that Jordan's took 3-4 business days..

I expect to get it on monday or tuesday as well!

YIPPIE!!
Jeffrey

Quote from: dependan on March 27, 2009, 12:14:30 PM
  Translate this "sour grapes"  :whistling:

danny

Why would you say that? I'm happy for you guys.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: es-335 on March 27, 2009, 02:34:08 PM
Mine is on the way!! it got shipped yesterday(thursday)..

considering that Jordan's took 3-4 business days..

I expect to get it on monday or tuesday as well!

YIPPIE!!
Good for you Jeff, I for one can't wait to hear you "gush" about your new git. I know this one means a lot to you. And thanks for your part in all the labor with the F-III on the forum.

Quote from: bearsville0 on March 27, 2009, 02:40:45 PM
Why would you say that? I'm happy for you guys.
Cause you are a good translator?

Thanks Danny and others: Norman, Ricky, Tuffy, Lynda, Jim and so many others forum members... who made this happen!!
Jeffrey

Quote from: limnephilidae on March 27, 2009, 10:42:50 AM

You must be one of them thar inter-lectuals   :wacko:

Whatever it is, it worked on me. I just ordered one!  :bgrin:
Taylor 310CE, Eastman E10D, Blueridge BR-160, Eastman T486

Quote from: GA-ME on March 27, 2009, 02:21:55 PM
limnephilidae, most cool, you're the first bug I ever heard of to know a bit of cognative theory!

When I did my masters, 3 of my profs were Cognitive Science PhDs so we used to throw around Wittgenstein and Vygotsky. I was always grounded in the biological evolutionary systems and complexity theory so we had some good arguments. All that being said, I don't think anyone can be objective about the Forum III so I'm going to surf the emotional surge and salivate over my new guitar when it arrives, just like Dan.  :thumbsup

Seriously though, it was such a nice day I dusted off my brown-eyed girl riffs and belted out some chords in the park. Someone actually started to sing which was a terrific compliment since they actually recognized what I was playing. I can't wait for the Forum III to get her so I can Christen her with some summer music.

UPS checked hourly....

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: limnephilidae on March 27, 2009, 04:36:15 PM
I can't wait for the Forum III to get her so I can Christen her with some summer music.

Good shout, I am sitting in my living room learning 'here comes the sun' especially for christening my forum III.

Any other ideas for very happy summer songs???  bear in mind if it has more than three chords I am stuffed.

Can you make some form of timed mechanical device for hitting the f5 button for the next few days, so you can have both hands free for guitar playing?
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on March 27, 2009, 04:49:24 PM
Good shout, I am sitting in my living room learning 'here comes the sun' especially for christening my forum III.

Any other ideas for very happy summer songs???  bear in mind if it has more than three chords I am stuffed.

Can you make some form of timed mechanical device for hitting the f5 button for the next few days, so you can have both hands free for guitar playing?

I bet Sweet Jane would sound great on the FIII and it's a pretty easy pace. It's a terrible shame that my dog could sing it better than I could.

"Oh, all the poets they studied rules of verse
And the ladies, they rolled their eyes"

And yes, I already wrote a klugey script to check for UPS status updates.  :arrow