Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yup.   Looks like mine alright.  Like you, Jordan, I was completely taken by surprise at how loud this guitar is.  It's like a big guitar in a small body.  There's nothing about it I don't like.    Congratulations.
You are gonna have some fun with this little guy.  Go ahead, strum the crap out of it;    it can take heavy strumming and still deliver great tone when lightly fingerpicked.   Anxious to hear more of your comments when you've put her to the test.

Yes, the sound is amazing for a smaller bodied guitar.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Jordon, now I'm staring to wonder if I made the right wood choice. Never played a full HOG. Saw some Martins, just didn't have the desire to pick them up. Honestly, I don't think ant of us could have gone wrong with any combo! Beautiful guitar & photo! Happy playing for years! :thumb
Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

jordan, that is the most beautiful piece of mahogany I've seen..
Jeffrey

Quote from: dragon1952 on March 25, 2009, 09:19:27 PM
Can someone attempt to compare one of these in words to an OM-03 please?  :smile:

I dont have my F-III yet but maybe my experience with 2 different Larrivee OM-03's will help.
FWIW......
I once had an OM-03 Blackwood Back and sides, sitka spruce top,  14 frets to the body. Wonderful guitar.  When compared to my Forum 1 OM-03 all hog, 12 fret,  the 12 fret wins hands down.  Even though the all hog is supposed to be quiter with less overtones and sustain, my experience was that the 12 fret difference gives my all hog, more of each quality and is (so far)  my favorite guitar for my mostly fingerstyle playing.  
I'm not sure I should share this next bit of info, caught some flak last time I mentioned it......My Forum I still has the original elixer strings on it that came from Jason when he set up these forum's.  Original owner bought this  guitar for a gift for his son to learn on,  no interest, so I picked it up barely played.  I play it a couple of times a week, for the last two years. No percieved dropoff of sould quality. I am not a fan of elixers, but I am so happy with the sound that changing strings seems like fixing something not broken.  So why do  it ?

My point is I think the 12 fret F-III will definatly be a different beast in any wood combination to any 14 fret OM.  Thats why I decided to get in on the F-III's,  I am becoming a 12 fret believer.
Hope this helps  
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Quote from: Jagadis on March 26, 2009, 06:17:02 PM

P.S.  The guitar is crazy loud for such a small guitar.  Tone is awesome.  The whole thing just vibrates when you play.

Congrats Jordan

Wow what a great looking guitar.  Some Flame Mahogany going on.  I sat in front of Tuffy's at the jam and had the same reaction.....wow is it loud and clear.  When we were in the factory. I was holding a guitar and the whole guitar was vibrating just with the sound from the room.

It is great to relive the intense joy each of us were experiencing at the factory tour.   :nice guitar:
FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

Here are two outdoor shots with more natural light.  It looks kinda honey brown inside and gets a bit more reddish brown in the daylight.  The flaming is awesome and it changes in the light as you look at the guitar from different angles.  This is something special.

Jordan.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Jordan, that's a beauty....congrats!  Can't wait for my all hog to come through the door.

I have mine coming with a tort pickguard installed by Jim.  Based on the beauty of the mahogany of your guitar, I think I'll just have him leave it off for now.  

I forgot to mention...

There are two pick guards in the case.  One is tortoise and the other is clear.  There is also a truss rod adjustment tool and 3 Larrivee guitar picks...

Jordan.

WOW  from this:

To This

[attachment deleted by admin]
FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

Really nice but I still like my IS. But it sure looks pretty.

Beautiful flamed Mahogany, I love it.  "Hogs forever"!

:nana_guitar  :nana_guitar  :nana_guitar  :nana_guitar  :nana_guitar  :nana_guitar  :nana_guitar  :nana_guitar  :nana_guitar  :nana_guitar  :wave
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 26, 2009, 06:26:49 PM
Yup.   Looks like mine alright.  

No, it doesn't. It's backwards!  :tongue:

Mike

:nana_guitar
Awesome!!  Congratulations man.

Hey bluesman1, you will be fine with yours, you just need to add a hogtop too, grab one of the extras!!
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Congradulations Jordon! She sure is a beauty! Even though my forum name is Hogtop, I went with the IS top. Must concur however that no matter what woods were chosen, all of us have received or will soon a very, very special guitar.  :nice guitar: :thumb

PO5 MT Larrivee Parlor (sold darn it)
Hog Weissenborn Lap Slide
Republic Reso-Relic Tricone
Stew-Mac A-Style Mandolin (Kit)

Hey everyone.  I've been playing the new guitar this evening and I gotta tell you...its quite an interesting little guitar.  The small size and 12 fret neck makes it extremely comfortable to play but it sure surprises you with the amount of sound that comes out of it.  The real difference I'm noticing between this guitar and my D-03 is tone of the sound coming from the guitar.  My D-03 is spruce/hog and it has a very deep full sound with lots of sustain.  My new all hog Forum III is quite different.  Its almost as loud as my D-03 except that its not as boomy, has less sustain and the tone of the sound has a very distinctive brassy/woody kind of sound.  Its very unique and given this is my first exposure to hog top guitars...maybe this is quite typical.  When you play the guitar, the whole body vibrates against your belly and you really feel like the guitar is alive.  The neck is great.  Its a tiny bit wider than my D-03 but I'm not noticing the difference.  The action is nice and low and its perfectly suited to my finger picking style of playing.  Just for fun, I took out a pick and wailed and it sure comes alive.  It lights up like a Christmas tree.  It doesn't seem to mind any style of playing. 

Looks like me and this funny little guitar are gonna get along just fine.  BTW...the new guitar smell coming from the soundhole is "da bomb".  Intoxicating!!!!

Jordan.

Quote from: Jagadis on March 26, 2009, 09:49:05 PM
  BTW...the new guitar smell coming from the soundhole is "da bomb".  Intoxicating!!!!

Jordan.

Hmmm ...  I think I saw tuffy fart in there.   :nanadance :bgrin: :bgrin: :humour:
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Jordan, every one of these guitars seems to look better than the last one.  Congratulations, and I am glad it is meeting your expectations!!

The flame like grain in the Hog top is absolutely stunning

It is becomming apparent to me that the only 03 series things on these guitars are the satin finish, bridge pins and nut and saddles (the latter of which is being addressed by JH for the majority of buyers).  The wood used is, as far as I have seen thus far, is far superior to normal 03 standards.  I think the Larrivee guys have put even more into this than we even first imagined.

enjoy your  :guitar :guitar Jordan
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

That is definitely some sweet mahogany you've got there Jordan!!!  I'd love to try that!!!

Mine has yet to ship..... :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: