Forum III impressions and discussion

Started by Randy_R, March 25, 2009, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Those ebay cases are nice but that's a lot of dough for a case, especially since I already have one.  $117+$40 shipping = $157 ...yikes, no guitar included?  Please throw me a freakin' bone here ...free strings, anything?
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I have two of them and they are worth every penny.  Very well made, very secure, etc. No, I have three, one that came with the LO5 MT.

They are also priced a lot lower than they were sold for when you could get them. He has cases that are a lot less expensive, but still good quality. Frankly, a case is protecting my $1000 and up investment. It's not where I'm going to skimp. The stock cases, man, I'd be loathe to put my guitar in the car with the kids and the dogs....

I have noticed the OSHC from last year and previous are much better than the latest. The latest seem flimsy and the latches do not inspire confidence.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Do you own stock in the case making company? rofl....

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Have to pipe in here. Let's not forget that Bella came home from Vancouver in that case in the cargo hold. Case and guitar came through with flying colours but likely due to the fact that I wrapped the neck and headstock before handing it off the the female baggage person at Vancouver International. And yes, there is play horizontally in the case, but again, I padded there so Bella couldn't move.

I love the better cases, but don't think I will invest more bucks for the archtop case.

PS I never ask for directions because I too own a GPS and don't go anywhere without it.  :humour:
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I love my GPS. Anything that minimising actual human interaction is great. Plus I like watching the little red monster truck.

I'm wagering the Forum will fit into the OM Archtop case. The OM is a TIGHT fit. But  haven't tried. I did visit my guitar for a bit. Between baking, setting the veggie garden and making rugs (because I thought why not learn, I know..)  There's been four days of constant rain so grabbing the sun has become paramount.

Then there's the dogs and some kid who expects to be cared for.

I'm fine being a Jack of All Trades which is good because I won't be a Guitar master anytime soon,lol. I will say the Forum is the only one out on a stand. I like to look in on it as I walk by with the laundry, etc. Makes me happy. Probably makes the living things here safer.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Jeff,

Holly was joking.  ROFL = roll on the floor laughing.  Generally used to tease someone you like...

Jordan

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 09, 2009, 01:21:03 AM
   no holly, I don't own stock in s***! You people have the money to waste on a not needed case, go & spend it! I have guitars better than my F-III, & one in particular, my '93 L-10, the case has been all over & is still nice. I just take care of all of my stuff. Treat it right & it will do the same for you! And, I'm not the IM or texting type, so please explain in a kind tone, if possible w/o sarcasm, what the hell "rolf" is. I bet you have AOL IM, text alot, thus the chat lingo. Don't work so well on a post though, if it has no meaning to others!
Like I said before, the cases are kinda cheesy, but they work & I guess it's just fun to talk away about this crap. Stick a cloth in the lower bout. Not the other place you mentioned before. I can think of another, but am too much a gentleman to say it. Have your fun, it all comes back @ you! he guitar will not move, you won't have any worries, keep your kids from jumping on it, & you should be fine. Why don't you get some stock in the crappy company. Should make alot because of the s****y cases, with a low over head. Think how much flour you could by then! :yak:   Inane comments make me insane!
     Jeff   :guitar

ROFL is generally and widely known as rolling on the floor laughing. It's there so you understand I'm kidding. I'm assuming you understand that now. You seemed to be getting a little wound up and personalising  the case 'thing' so I thought I'd just break the tension a little and interject a bit of perspective in a light hearted way. I see that I managed to redirect it, not my goal, but I'm going to just chalk it up to a misunderstanding and perhaps a bit of hasty, heated posting on your part. 

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

My last post on this thread. holly, i apologize for the post I did last night. Felt it was sarcastic to me, not humorous as others say. Always trying to smooth things over, others. I never heard of rofl, don't really care about the meaning @ this point anyway, am removing my case posts because they're too simple a solution for a small problem, so I'll just leave it @ that. Yes, a little sarcastic, but can I be sometimes? :? And my solution works for that small "problem" with the "inferior" cases, which, I agree, they are somewhat. But not as bad as all are making them. Like I said, treat them well & you won't have a problem! I'm cool, so hope all of you are.
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Thank you. I don't think you need to remove any case posts. You raised some good points and I'm  fan of simple solutions.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

holly, thank you, but apparently others go a little overboard when reacting to my posts. I've always thought we were cool on all, joking & such, having fun while the F-III's were being built, & so on. It was late last night when I posted (I think about 2:30 am here), couldn't sleep, was in pain, misdirected it @ you, & I apologize again. I'll stay away from your posts & others that I made mad. Sorry. Sometimes I post on reaction w/o thinking it through, until I wake up the next day & then start to wonder why I posted that way. And what reaction I generated, as I found by PM this morning. I know why I post like that, just have to remember more often & think before I do.
   And I love my GPS also. Don't have to ask my wife where to turn & be told, doing 40 mph,"right here!"! :humour:
     Jeff

Just in case we forgot the original thread, here are some continued impressions:

With the bone saddle back in and EJ16 strings attached, my LS-03R is starting to sing now.  It has a little more open sound to it, meaning I guess that it isn't as tight.  There is a great growl when playing a barred F chord at the first fret.  The note separation higher on the frets is very noticeable. 

For those of us like me who have not been enthralled by the FIII, I say just give it time and play the stuffing out of it.  It only gets better.
Play it daily for best results.

I know you guys are probably sick of my photos but it was a nice day today in Toronto and I finally got around to taking some outdoor pictures of #19.  I gotta tell you.  Every time I play this thing it freaks me out.  Its such a sound cannon and I just can't get over the way the whole thing vibrates on your lap when you are playing it.  The best way to describe it is the whole guitar just lights up with glorious sound.  I love this thing.  It makes me smile... :bgrin: :bgrin: :bgrin:

Jordan.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst

The LS-03 is now the first guitar I reach for when practicing or just "noodling" around. It is very comfortable whether I lounge in the den recliner, sit on the love seat in the guest room or the sofa in the living room. As I hoped, it doesn't displace my LSV-11 or LV-10 but instead nicely supplements them. I really enjoy the clarity and resonance of the sound too.

I'm glad I had the money when these were offered and don't regret buying any of my three Larrivees. The yet unlearned mandolin is maybe a different story for another time.
Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

I've heard a puffy shirt and a pair of knee kigh boots can go along way in learning the mandolin...

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

Quoting strawintogold. "I've heard a puffy shirt and a pair of knee high boots can go along way in learning the mandolin..."

Wow, I didn't know it could be so easy.

But puffy shirts for my size are hard to come by and my boots only go to mid-way to my knees. I will have to shop the clothing resale charity shops! In balance, I am four weeks into playing electric bass and having a hoot with that effort.

Norman

:nana_guitar  Me and my bass.
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Got some emails from Matthew Larrivee last night in response to mine. Mentioned some things I don't know if I can post, but one thing he did say, just FYI, is that only he & Jean are  the only ones capable of carving the "volutes" on the necks that get them. So, sometimes it's just him doing it while Jean does his traveling around the world in search of the best woods! Some interesting things mentioned, just think there might be a confidentiality thing going on (read some fine print about reproducing statements). Maybe PM me & I can fill you in. And Norman, he gave me the build dates on the SD & my F-III (keep that stuff for my records). Turns out the SD-50 was started on 1/19/04, finished on 3/2/05, partially for reasons such as not having time for the "volute", so it got put aside for a while. Already emailed "mannish" that it is now officially an '05 SD-50. Aged 1 year overnight! As for my F-III, a totally different story. Started on 2/2/09, finished 3/27/09! Must have alot of coffee or something! Never saw such a fast build period. :?

Quote from: strawintogold on May 10, 2009, 06:51:51 PM
I've heard a puffy shirt and a pair of knee kigh boots can go along way in learning the mandolin...

holly

Luckily for me, some things never go out of style.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Also mentioned about the Ping tuners. No one interested? Surprised. Had alot to say about the 2 different plants & the finacial structuring of both. It affects the -03 series & explains why things are the way they are with tuners & cases. Bottom line: profit margain on the -03 series. Very tight. Higher end series, a different story, but more work involved.

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 12, 2009, 11:07:51 AM
   Also mentioned about the Ping tuners. No one interested? Surprised. Had alot to say about the 2 different plants & the finacial structuring of both. It affects the -03 series & explains why things are the way they are with tuners & cases. Bottom line: profit margain on the -03 series. Very tight. Higher end series, a different story, but more work involved.
     Jeff   :guitar
We have discussed these issues before. The 03 series is clearly the best buy in N. America for a solid wood git. Many guitar books include that thought when speaking of Larrivee.
                A git priced just north of 1000 has to have very little mark up when they are made as well as these are.
                Pings are not anyones 1st choice for tuning machines, but I have had more good sets than bad on the 8 Larrivees I have owned. The ones on my F-III are working well. I did change the small tuning buttons to the larger style. I think the extra weight helps the tone a smidge and looks better with this size git. Minis look better on parlours and 00's