Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: larrivee thin necks  (Read 1850 times)
markwillplay

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »

why did Larrivee start making all of their necks low profile?  I remember helping my friend get a mahogany dread and even though it was 11/16, the neck profile was a pretty full C.  So w2as the Pete Andersopn model I owned for a bit.  Now it seems that all of their necks are thin.  I guess most peole like that but I find it makes them play stiff over long periods of time and it has made me sell the couploe that I have owned.  Just curious as to why they starteds doiiung that?  Was it to try to compete with Taylor?

Are there any models out there now that have a fuller neck profile or are they all thin?  For example, my buddy has an OM-50 that I helped him get.  One of the best dryest sounding OM's I have EVER played including much more expensive ones.  I would love to haVE it but the neck is thin and I hate it.  Just a shame for me I guess.

dermot

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »

Neck profile isn't that big a deal to me... i prefer David Webber's 13/16th very thiiiiiin neck, but i'm OK with my Larrivee, the even the deep V's from my 1890's parlor  & the 1930's Dobro, and shallow V on my '49 000-18, and the "C" on my '54 D18... as well as the modern thin neck guys starting with the '61 Guild f20.. almost the same carve as my '59 Lester

Spent three hours yesterday playing my '02 larrivee OM19, didn't even think about the neck carve...

But for me string spaceing at the saddle is important, fortunatly that's pretty easy to deal with by slotting the saddle... lucky me i guess...

There's always the SD50/60 with 7/8 soft V.... awesome sound come out of them too.. and you might love the neck...

d/

stuco

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »

afro

I think the OM-50/60 has a bigger neck. 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »

This has not been my experience. I have a '92 OM-05, and recently got the Forum IV 00-03 guitar.  The old OM-05 has a much thinner neck than the new 00-03.  A comparison of the heel on both guitars also shows that the old guitar has a much smaller heel profile than the new one. (Both guitars are close to 1 3/4" at the nut, too.)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 07:42:32 PM »

I would not classify either of my Larrivees as thin, or low profile.  Both my D10 and my JCL are nice comfortable C shaped.  Just this week I played a few  new Larrivees in a shop, and they were all the same C shape.

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »

The L-series neck has a bit more chunky feel than the OM.  I like them both - no issues switching back and forth for me.

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
leftync

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 06:14:32 AM »

I've owned two 03s that were made in the last three or four years. Both  had necks significantly thicker than the neck on my 90s Larrivee dread, which I compare to the old thin Taylor necks.
markwillplay

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 06:01:27 PM »

hmmm, I think you folks have a different idea of what thin is than I do.  I have owned several larrivee's and played bunches from way old to new.  I owned a really nice L09 that had what I consider a thin neck.  Probably made 10 years ago....neck was thin.  My buddies OM-50..thin as all get out.  If you are talking old taylor, well that is paper thin, but larrivee's do NOT have medium necks to my hand.;  I did get a D05 for a friend and found that neck to be about medium thickness and it was very nice.  NOne of the other Larrivee's I have played had necks that full except the PA-03 I had for a while.

I guess I will give an example...most Goodall necks are right in my wheelhouse.  I recently sold a TrOM because the profile on those is slightly thinner than his regular profile.   I would cal the regular Goodall Profile a fairly thick C and I love it.  The traditional series that Larrivee makes OM-50's, 000-50's etc... all have relatively thin necks to me.  I fine id somewhat tacing to play bar chords on them for long periods of time.  It is all what you get used to. 

I tell you that I used to love the Tacoma neck profiles for the most part too.  My buddy has an older tacoma and it is really nice and full.

Sure, I can play almost any neck, but I prefer to have some meat on the bone.  My gigs are over 3 hours usually and I dojt like making a c shape shord without something to fill the palm.  I don't think therter is any doubt that most makers are going to slimmer necks (over the past 10 years.  I am aware that much older larrivee's were REALLY thin which is why I never liked them.,
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:00:50 PM »

I would not classify either of my Larrivees as thin, or low profile.  Both my D10 and my JCL are nice comfortable C shaped.  Just this week I played a few  new Larrivees in a shop, and they were all the same C shape.
I also find they are essentially the same, at least the ones I have played, except for width at the nut.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: