Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Martyn - RIP  (Read 906 times)
hatofthecat

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »

Sad news. We've lost another legend.

BBC news report here

Though not too surprising given his spiralling health problems in recent years.

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa
rustychicken

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 09:25:14 PM »

Solid Air and Bless the Weather are great albums....i love his acoustic work and songwriting.  sad to hear...

rockhound

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:08:51 AM »

That's very sad to hear - produced some great stuff.  Solid Air is one of THE classic albums.

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420
Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »

I lived in London in the early 1970s and saw John play many times.  I was a regular at the Les Cousins acoustic music venue and he would sometimes turn up unannounced to play a "floor spot".  On one occasion he had just discovered the WEM Copycat and brought it along.  This subsequently featured in such recordings as "Glistening Gllyndebourne". He later moved to Hastings, a few miles up the road from where I now reside and I saw him only once there.  My firiend Liam Genockey, drummer extraordinaire, also lives in Hastings and played on some of John's records, as well as in live situations.

For all the joys of "Solid Air", "Bless the Weather" still remains a firm favourite of mine.

He had an enormous talent and pioneered a funky style of acoustic guitar playing (including percussive slaps with the back of the fingernails) that many copied over the years.

Shame he had to go so early.

Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 02:10:32 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBPTuAl2Qyk&feature=related

This is John and ' May you Never '   - a duet with Kathy Mattea

aaaahhhhhh, songs with ' meaning ' and heart felt emotions -  hope they make a comeback  bigrin

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
pigtown

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 04:48:49 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBPTuAl2Qyk&feature=related

This is John and ' May you Never '   - a duet with Kathy Mattea

- Larry

That's the way I knew him...Transatlantic youtube...
With a feeling and soul in his voice
RIP

Greg
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 05:52:13 PM »

Very sad news..

Jeffrey

Will Fly

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »

I lived in London in the early 1970s and saw John play many times.  I was a regular at the Les Cousins acoustic music venue and he would sometimes turn up unannounced to play a "floor spot".  On one occasion he had just discovered the WEM Copycat and brought it along.  This subsequently featured in such recordings as "Glistening Gllyndebourne". He later moved to Hastings, a few miles up the road from where I now reside and I saw him only once there.  My firiend Liam Genockey, drummer extraordinaire, also lives in Hastings and played on some of John's records, as well as in live situations.

For all the joys of "Solid Air", "Bless the Weather" still remains a firm favourite of mine.

He had an enormous talent and pioneered a funky style of acoustic guitar playing (including percussive slaps with the back of the fingernails) that many copied over the years.

Shame he had to go so early.

Yes - I saw JM at the Cousins on several occasions - mainly in the late 60s at the Saturday allniters. I remember him introducing his version of Jelly Roll Morton's "Winding Boy" to a gaggle of embarrased young ladies with the words,"Well now, winding means f**k**g, girls...". A character, if ever there was one. RIP.
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 06:22:33 PM »

I admire John's rejection of greater fame to do it his way - from the heart.

He reminds me of a gospel singer who is similar in some ways.
He ' tells it like it is ' and I'm sure it cost him sales because he steps on some toes.

He has an unusual , rough sounding voice - like John, Joe Cocker etc.

His name is Michael Combs and my favorite song of his is ' Not For Sale '
- in the song he tells of being offered a big contract but rejecting it because he would have to 'sell out'.

here's a link if you have an interest   (warning, spiritual content, proceed with caution  cop )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzZnnIfysj0&feature=related

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 11:14:37 PM »

I've been hearing his name for years but never found the time to listen to him.  Then an old high school friend posted this video on my Facebook wall...Another song I want to learn now!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi_wxypeGc

It's been running through my head since then!

Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 09:51:45 AM »

I've been hearing his name for years but never found the time to listen to him.  Then an old high school friend posted this video on my Facebook wall...Another song I want to learn now!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi_wxypeGc

It's been running through my head since then!

Thanks for posting that Denis. Nice to hear that acoustic version again.  I saw John do that song live a number of times before he eventually recorded it. He said he wrote it about the large guy of Greek origin who ran Cousins with his rather attractive wife. Speaking of her, she used to refer to me as "Pete Townshend" saying I looked like him - tall and slim with a generous nose.  I met Pete in the street in London once later and mentioned this, upon which he commented, "Yes, it's the nose - but mine's bigger than yours!"

Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I thought some of you might like this.  I have been learning May You Never all week, and was using the youtube linked by Denis as a reference.  Great great song. 

Then I found this, which I cant stop watching.  This is just beautiful, and so very very clever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYLVM560Fok

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: