Removing factory strap peg

Started by 247hoopsfan, March 20, 2009, 10:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I want to remove the factory heel strap peg on my guitar ( not my D10)  to install a pickup.  The little pin is really stuck in there securely.  Do you just use pliers to unscrew them?
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

If it's a standard Larrivee end pin, you use an allen (hex) wrench on it.  Easy does it

Once you get it moving, the inner part unscrews like a bolt, then you can pull the outer ring right off.  Don't try twisting the wide (flat) ring by itself, just the bolt.  I think the ring has some kind of teeth on the inner flange that hold it in place

Ok I just re-read what you wrote ("not the D-10").  If it's a Yamaha then might as well disregard what I wrote...  sorry

a typical end pin doesn't have threads instead they're just wedged in there. You should just need to pull and twist or pop it off with pliers (protect the finish though).

Non Larrivee guitars sometimes use a simple endpin that is just wedged in and held in place by friction.  My Guild is like that.  I'd suggest that you remove your strings or at least loosen them to the point that you can stick your hand inside the soundhole and just feel around a bit.   if it seems like the plastic end pin is just sticking there with no hardware attached to it then it's probably just stuck from being there so long.  it may have been inserted rather firmly at one point and the guitar, of course, being made of wood, can expand and contract slightly making it even more snug.  Try pushing it out from the inside with a gentle twisting action while you are pulling it from the outside with your other hand and I'll bet it comes out in short order.  small pliers could help but I wouldn't resort to that until I tried just using  fingers.   if it breaks off .... well no big deal.  you can then punch it out.  You will have to take a drill to it at some point to enlarge the hole for an end-pin jack anyway.  They usually require a 1/2" diam. hole.

I wrote all this before I realized that Jeremy had said it all in two sentences.   I think you get the idea though.

Thanks for the replies.  I think it is just stuck in there.  There is nothing showing thru the heel inside the guitar.  I'll try prying with pliers.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

They can be wedged in there quite tight, after all it is a strap pin. If it was loose fitting your strap would be pulling it out all the time.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"