Vancouver Larrivée Get-Together / Jam

Started by ST, March 17, 2009, 01:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does anyone know if anyone at Larrivée monitors the forum?

I guess somewhere on the short list of things to do is to make contact with some people there.

I met John Jr.
Jeremy
Edwin

Is there anyone else who I should include in the planning?

Hey ST
I would think that a word to John Jr. should suffice.  He could make an announcement and put up a few bulletins to get the word out.

ST, this sounds great.  Weekends are always better for me, ( time of day really not important).  Weekdays though could work too.  Give me some notice, and a weekday would probably be fine.  I'm assuming that we don't have to play "our own" material, but covers would be fine??  I'm no songwriter, but I sure do like to play others' music. :bgrin:
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

ST, this is the 3rd time I'm trying to post in your thread. First, my cellphone hung. Second, I timed out. Hope this one makes it.

I frequently visit Vancouver and I hope during one of my visits, there's a jam session going on - I sure would love to join.

If I know 3-4 weeks ahead of time, I might even be able to adjust my work schedule so I can intentionally make a trip to Vancouver.

The 12-hour drive from Edmonton is therapeutic for me - looking forward to jamming with you guys would make the trek seem like a trip across town.

Like I said in the Tour thread - too many nice guitars, too much information, too many nice people, too much to all drink in - for one day.

I wish there was more time to interact - you're one of the neat folks I would have loved to interact with and get to know more!

It was a thrill and a pleasure to watch and hear you make Danny's and any guitar you hold - sing!   I also wish I would have held your Braz guitar.

I only saw the sides and I was in awe!!!

ricky

No dates yet.... but I'll let you guys know as soon as I find out :)
Jeffrey

Hi Lynda,

Quote from: lyric_girl on March 18, 2009, 05:14:41 PM
ST,

As much as I LOVE this idea, if it's anytime soon, I'm gonna have to pass. However, I would love to be there.

If it all goes well, maybe this can become a recurring event. So you can watch from afar this time and plan to make it to one down the road a ways.

Hi Ricky,

Glad your message got through this time.

Quote from: rpm60912 on March 19, 2009, 02:11:04 AM
ST, this is the 3rd time I'm trying to post in your thread. First, my cellphone hung. Second, I timed out. Hope this one makes it.

I frequently visit Vancouver and I hope during one of my visits, there's a jam session going on - I sure would love to join.

If I know 3-4 weeks ahead of time, I might even be able to adjust my work schedule so I can intentionally make a trip to Vancouver.

The 12-hour drive from Edmonton is therapeutic for me - looking forward to jamming with you guys would make the trek seem like a trip across town.

Like I said in the Tour thread - too many nice guitars, too much information, too many nice people, too much to all drink in - for one day.

I wish there was more time to interact - you're one of the neat folks I would have loved to interact with and get to know more!

It was a thrill and a pleasure to watch and hear you make Danny's and any guitar you hold - sing!   I also wish I would have held your Braz guitar.

I only saw the sides and I was in awe!!!

ricky

Here's the head stock.

I enjoyed your playing and singing.  I would have liked to have heard more.

I'll try and nail down dates well in advance.

You can do 1200 km in 12 hours - through the mountains????

Whoa.

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 18, 2009, 05:47:51 PM
Hey ST
I would think that a word to John Jr. should suffice.  He could make an announcement and put up a few bulletins to get the word out.

Thanks Lynn,

I'll talk to John Jr. over the next couple of days.

Quote from: ST on March 19, 2009, 04:05:31 AM
Hi Lynda,

If it all goes well, maybe this can become a recurring event. So you can watch from afar this time and plan to make it to one down the road a ways.

ST,

I would absolutely love to be there with you guys again. However, I'm not sure Bella will be coming.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Hi Lynda,

Quote from: lyric_girl on March 19, 2009, 08:26:07 AM
ST,

I would absolutely love to be there with you guys again. However, I'm not sure Bella will be coming.

I'm sure we could find something for you to play when your time to hit the stage comes around. I've got a nice Larrivée Jumbo for instance, or a Classical that's probably about the same size as Bella.

ST--

This sounds like alot of fun.  I don't know if I could make it, but I'm not ruling it out either.  Once you have a date set, and there's ample lead time, chances af a good turn out might improve.  If you piggy-backed it with the benefit event, is there a date set for that, and what does that benefit?

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Agenda Item - Mini Workshop
At the Monday night Jam, Jim Holler gave us a rundown on how he tunes his guitars - basically working of the A string as the reference for all the others. I had read his description of this here in the forum, but it didn't really hit home for me until I saw him do it and describe what he was doing as he went along.

Can anyone suggest a topic for a mini workshop? — Just a little knowledge nugget to pass on to other players? I'm thinking that this could be something that could be done "show & tell" style in under 5-10 minutes.

Hi DAVE,

Quote from: ncognito on March 19, 2009, 08:45:46 AM
ST--

This sounds like alot of fun.  I don't know if I could make it, but I'm not ruling it out either.  Once you have a date set, and there's ample lead time, chances af a good turn out might improve.  If you piggy-backed it with the benefit event, is there a date set for that, and what does that benefit?

DAVE

for no more reason than curiosity - where are you? Long trip to get to Vancouver?

I don't have a hard date for the benefit. The general plan was to do it on a Saturday in July. At least we have always done them on Saturday nights in the past. The proceeds go to The Terry Fox Foundation -- Cancer Research.  We typically see 130-150 people.

The fellow I need to talk to about this is travelling right now, but I should be able sort out dates (and whether or not we could do the piggy back deal), by sometime next week.

The format for the benefit has been to start the evening early - typically, doors open at 6:00 - 6:30 pm, and have several acoustic oriented openers, then the main performer, winding up around 10:30 - 11:00 then teardown the acoustic stage and jam out the night with a rowdier (but civilized) electric dance.  If you hang in 'til the very end, there's usually something that feels like a campfire gathering (all acoustic) that finally winds down between 2:00-3:00 am. That's how these things have gone for years and years. Too much fun.

Almost everyone who hits the acoustic stage plays a Larrivée. It's an interesting coincidence.

So the piggy-back part would be to start early afternoon for our Larrivée oriented event.  Good grief, I'd probably need to catch a nap in between somewhere.

ST--

I live in Connecticut (New England) so yeah it's a haul, but July might be good timing for me because I work as a gardener, and the physical push of my work finally slows down in July.  If you were to tie it in to the benefit, it might be a good incentive for more forum folk to show.  Cancer research and cramming too much fun into too little time sounds like a good combo to me.  Like I said, it's very questionable as to whether I can make it, but I'll look into it once you have a date set; should this turn into an annual extravaganza scheduled for approximately the same date every year, it would be a wonderful adventure to look forward to.  This is a really nice  event you're planning.  I applaud your efforts.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Hi DAVE

I can't promise to do the tie-in with benefit. There are a lot of moving pieces that would have to be fine tuned. (volunteers, stage setup, site setup).

But there's no reason we can't do our event separately and accept donations for something like the local food bank.

I do shows for local charities all the time. It just feels right.

Quote from: ST on March 19, 2009, 10:32:06 AM
Hi DAVE

I can't promise to do the tie-in with benefit. There are a lot of moving pieces that would have to be fine tuned. (volunteers, stage setup, site setup).

But there's no reason we can't do our event separately and accept donations for something like the local food bank.

I do shows for local charities all the time. It just feels right.

ST,

If I can't make it this summer, I will be happy to donate to any charity event you might set up.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Hey ST (and all):

Of course I'd be happy to participate - please keep me posted.

And John and I have briefly discussed the idea of a more informal jam sometime soon. I think common musical interests are more important than whatever kind of guitars (or other instruments) we bring to it, but it's nice to have met this way...

Mike

I'd love to join in and jam with you guys.  I'd need to know the date ahead of time (maybe a few weeks notice) to schedule it in.  I really wish I could have gone over on Monday, but it's March break this week and the kids are home.  I'll definitely try and make it!

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

If there is a July jam session, I'm so looking forward to it and would do all I can to clear my schedule and join.

The fact that it's a fund raiser for cancer makes me even more motivated.

ST - you've got a nice collection of guitars. I really like your taste. Beautiful headstock of your Braz - 30th Anniversary Git.  Like WOW !!!

ricky

Man you guys are killin' me here.    I would dearly love to be a part of something like this.  I'll share a little secret with you folks.........   Until last Monday evening I'd never, ever played in a group jam at all.   Never been to an open mic nite anywhere and was pretty much a solo living room and garage player.
I guess there was something about the warm and friendly environment at Mike's place with you guys that let me come of of my shell a bit.  I realized that nobody was going to laugh or be critical and I genuinely had a great time.  Now, with just a bit of confidence gained from that experience I find myself craving more.   I'm sure that I won't be able to make this event coming up but please let me know if and when others may be planned.  I might like to give it another shot.   :tongue: