Vancouver Larrivée Get-Together / Jam

Started by ST, March 17, 2009, 01:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How about a live show - get together, open mic, jam session, bring your friends and family, have a party and celebrate?

Venue: Somewhere in/near Vancouver  (I have a couple of places in mind but they are in Crescent Beach/White Rock)
Invited: Larrivée owners and friends - and the people at Larrivée
Format: Lightly organized open mic / jam session format. (I can do that part)
Sound Equipment: I can provide complete setup for up to 4-6 simultaneous performers

Background:
I was inspired and delighted to have met so many local Larrivée owners yesterday at the Forum III factory tour. It was also nice to meet the folks who travelled up and down the highway.  (As well as those who had to fly). It was a joy to share some tunes at the jam session at Mike's place. (Thanks again Mike!)

So I'm thinking...
How about having a get together - someplace where we can have 30-100 people and do a show. Open mic / jam session format would work for me. I can bring all the sound gear and do the organizational stuff.

So what do we need

• Players and their instruments (instruments with pickups are easiest to amplify) but if need be I can use microphones.
  • Audience: Bring family, friends, friends of friends, other players
  • Venue: This is the big one - I'm mainly playing out in White Rock these days and I have access to a really beautiful private room in Crescent Beach (that will seat up to about 120 people). But that's a good 45 minutes drive from downtown Vancouver.
  • Recording Gear: I don't have anything easy for that
  • Refreshments - or depending on the venue - maybe we can work out something
  • Help with some of the details.
  • Of course - we would invite everyone from Larrivée.

What do you think folks? I'm hoping this would be a no-brainer for Dermot and Eva and Mike (on Grant St), and the other local locals.

Matt? DaveG? would you consider driving up again for an event like this?
Mike (who drove down from ...?) well it felt like a 2-4 hour drive.
How about the other folks who drove in?

I'm open to all your thoughts on this... wherever they may lead.

Hey dermot,

Thanks for letting play your Guitar(s) yesterday. Maybe next time I can try the one that as the "W" on the headstock.

Any ideas for a venue?

I was concerned that Crescent Beach / White Rock would seem too far away.

I just checked with a buddy in North Van, and the last time he came down to one of my shows there took him 45 minutes.  How does that seem to you?

Interestingly, I know another five Larrivée players who consider that territory as home turf.

Matt, DaveG - if you are reading this, White Rock / Crescent Beach is at most, 10 minutes from the border crossing at Peach Arch. 

The two different locations I'm considering are marked
A: Crescent Beach
B: Marine Drive in White Rock

Map

ST, I'd be in!!  I'm in Langley, so White Rock is easy stuff for me.  Had a great time meeting you at the Larrivee plant and playing ove r at Mike's.  Pleas keep us posted here, that sounds like a fantastic idea.  If you need anything, let me know and I'll see what I can do too.
   John
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Quote from: ST on March 17, 2009, 03:26:04 PM

Matt, DaveG - if you are reading this, White Rock / Crescent Beach is at most, 10 minutes from the border crossing at Peach Arch. 

ST, that would be great.  My wife's grandparents lived in White Rock for many years before moving to Abbotsford.

If you ever make it to a gig down here, let me know.

Matt

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String

I've said this many times, I still wish I lived in Langley :(
Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on March 17, 2009, 11:08:14 PM
I've said this many times, I still wish I lived in Langley :(

Yeah, but in your heart you know you REALLY wish that you were back on the island.  :cheers

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

No sweat driving to White Rock, i'd do it in heart beat...

The OM & the W will be there, and if i can save a bit of gas, and car pool with anyone? loads of room in the Pathfinder for me + 3 (& 6 guitars)

Ta, and thanks for sparking us all!

d.

Sounds like a great idea, ST. I'd be up for it.

Dave

Okay - here's what I've got so far:

dermot (Dermot, North Van)
johnny37 (John, Langley)
photomat (Matt, Washington State)
DaveG (Dave, 45 minutes beyond Matt)
es-335 (Jeffery - wishing he lived in Langley, - where are you?)
dependan (Danny, Texas?)

I didn't mean to exclude anyone. If you want to fly or drive, of course we'd roll out the welcome mat.

I can think of at least 5 local Larrivée players who would probably make a point of being there if they didn't have a gig. 

And of course - all are welcome and encouraged to bring guests and family and friends and... I'll admit it. I like playing for an audience. And I expect that this would be an especially appreciative audience.

Can we talk about preferences for time of day, day of the week?

If we do it in the evening, this feels pretty natural for  a little concert. However this might conflict with gigs.

If we do it on a Sunday afternoon that might give people some time to travel and relax and get home again. But for folks with kids in organized sports, I understand that Sunday afternoons can be a real challenge.

How about timing with respect to the calendar?

I don't want to wait until July, but if we chose to do that, I might be able to set this up as a warmup event for a fundraiser I'm doing with friends. That means the venue will be set already. AND one Canada's favourite Larrivée playing troubadours might join us. Too early to drop a name here. But this is a fellow who has been doing 200-300 shows a year for going on 30 years.

Please, let's keep talking. I'm getting excited - how about you?

ST I was kidding, but I think you just changed my mind, if I can really swing it. I'd love to see you and d. and others again. I could work on "shadows in the sky" and if you would help we can do that one.
                Everyone needs to hear ST play and sing, he is very good.
danny

I am in Winnipeg right now.
But my wife and I are hoping to move back to the Island this summer..
Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey

Quote from: es-335 on March 18, 2009, 11:21:48 AM
I am in Winnipeg right now.
But my wife and I are hoping to move back to the Island this summer..

Do you have any idea about dates? It would a shame to miss you by a week or a couple of days.  Or who knows, we might be working on the second one by then. But dates, dates...?

Well, If you make it in July don't do the weekend of the 10th thru the 12th. I have another gathering I'm going to that weekend.

Dave

Hey Danny,

Quote from: dependan on March 18, 2009, 11:18:29 AM
ST I was kidding, but I think you just changed my mind, if I can really swing it. I'd love to see you and d. and others again. I could work on "shadows in the sky" and if you would help we can do that one.
                Everyone needs to hear ST play and sing, he is very good.
danny

I didn't want to assume that you were kidding. But instead - just took it optimistically.

I really enjoyed sharing some music with you (just playin' along) and I'd be glad to be able to do that again.

ST
I applaud your effort to get this going.   I would be thrilled to participate if it was at all possible.  Sadly, I don't think it would be easy for me to make a return trip from Sacramento so soon after this last one.
I would give anything to be able to bring my wife with me and show her around a bit and let her meet you and the rest of the group.  I won't say "no" but I'm afraid I will have to probably say "not this time".
Maybe Dermot could get someone he knows to film this ?  Maybe make a dvd available ?    I'm sure most of us would love to see and hear the show. 

Hi Lynn,  (tuffy)

Being the infernal optimist I'll keep the door propped open for all of you just in case.

Thanks for that thought about video.

To all:
Even if you don't think you could make it, toss in your ideas anyway.

One venue I had in mind is Uli's Restaurant: 15021 Marine Drive in White Rock. Right on the main drag - it's almost directly across from the Pier.

The owner (Tyson - a great guy) would be happy to have us on a Tuesday evening, and we could certainly take over either the top level or the bottom depending on how many folks we were expecting.  I think they can comfortably handle 30-40 people downstairs. Maybe 20 up.

We might be able to squeeze in on a Sunday afternoon, but they can get busy during that time slot.

To be fair to the establishment, we should plan on eating and drinking a bit while we are there. They are fully licenced and have a full menu with appetizers and soups starting at about $8.00.  Factor in metered parking at $2.00 /hour.

The other venue is a buddy's house where we can seat up to 120 and many more if the weather is good.   We do house concerts and fundraisers there several times a year.  We might have more flexibility around times - Saturday day/night might be viable.

There - we usually invite people to bring pot-luck appetizers (Think Costco party platters).  BYO beverages.

Parking is limited but you can park in Crescent Beach Park about a short city block away.

Any thoughts?

ST,

As much as I LOVE this idea, if it's anytime soon, I'm gonna have to pass. However, I would love to be there.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"