Hi all. Waiting for my first Larrivee to arrive

Started by bshpmark, March 17, 2009, 07:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone.  New to the forum.  My first Larrivee, a 2001 D03 is scheduled to arrive Thursday.  Traded my Martin 000-15S for it.  The week is dragging by.  I am really looking forward to getting it.  I've only been playing about 14 months (age 55) but still feel like a kid at Christmas!
Larrivee J-03
Fender Telecaster
Fender Stratocaster
Yamaha CPX-500
Alvarez AD80SSB
Alvarez RD20S12

:welcome:

Two more days!  Let us know how you like it...
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

:welcome: to the Forum   :nice guitar: 

Congratulations, you can't go wrong with a Larrivee.  Start posting, you need ten posts to attach pictures of your new git. We love pictures  :wink:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Thank you for the welcome.  I am looking forward to getting the D03.  I have never played one before so it will be an experience.  I predict very little sleep Thursday night.
Larrivee J-03
Fender Telecaster
Fender Stratocaster
Yamaha CPX-500
Alvarez AD80SSB
Alvarez RD20S12

:nana_guitar                  :donut             :welcome:                  :donut2               :nana_guitar :beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Hello and welcome!   I love the neck on my Larrivee dreadnaught,  hope you do too.   If a setup wasn't included with your Larrivee purchase,  take it to a really good guitar shop and have it set up.  It can make a big difference in how it plays.  Have them put a set of plain phos bronze lights on it.  I think they sound much better than the Cleartone strings that come on them from the factory.   ONly two more days.........

Hello Mark. Welcome over here from over there!

The D-03 should really do well leading worship. Hope you like it. Get some sleep.  :winkin:

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

:welcome:  I hear you!  I just ordered my first Larrivee and it can take up to 12 weeks to get here.  Building a new left handed Om-03 Can't wait.  So hang in there, and I hope you feel better now.   Enjoy.
Tony :coffee :donut2 :nana_guitar

Congrats on the incoming D-03.  What made you decide to trade?  The D-03 is a great guitar, but there is quite a buzz around those 000-15s'  I hope that you stick around and be sure that you post pics and your thoughts on the new Larrivee.

:gotdonuts:

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Welcome!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy the passion for Larrivee guitars & interesting threads. As a newbie, you have to throw us all some doughnuts!
Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Well, let's see.  I checked the UPS site and the guitar arrived here in Atlanta this morning so it looks on schedule for tomorrow night.  The fellow I traded with said it has John Pearse lights on it.  So should sound pretty good.

For some reason I just never bonded with the 000-15S.  Don't know exactly why.  I love the Martin D-16GT that I have but just could not attach to the 15-S.  I loved the slothead aspect of it and liked the 12 fret part.    Maybe it was just me and maybe because of my size I just prefer the fuller sized deads.

I bought a Yamaha FG730S a couple of weeks ago out of curiosity and actually enjoyed playing it more than the 15-S so when the opportunity came along to trade the 15-s for a Larrivee, I said what the heck, let's do it.

Nice to see some of you here that I know from over there!

+Mark
Larrivee J-03
Fender Telecaster
Fender Stratocaster
Yamaha CPX-500
Alvarez AD80SSB
Alvarez RD20S12

Well, the D03 arrived on schedule.  I immediately put a new set of Pearse 80/20 Bronze Light strings on it.  Man does it sound great!  Outstanding sustain, lots of rumble in the bass, and very bright sounding.  I am very, very pleased with my first Larivee.  This one came with a K&K mini western pickup installed but I never play through an amp so don't know how it sounds that way.

Mark
Larrivee J-03
Fender Telecaster
Fender Stratocaster
Yamaha CPX-500
Alvarez AD80SSB
Alvarez RD20S12

:welcome: and  :nice guitar:

Once you get to 10 posts you can post pictures.  We like pictures!!!

:donut :donut2

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: bshpmark on March 23, 2009, 11:39:39 AM
Well, the D03 arrived on schedule.  I immediately put a new set of Pearse 80/20 Bronze Light strings on it.  Man does it sound great!  Outstanding sustain, lots of rumble in the bass, and very bright sounding.  I am very, very pleased with my first Larivee.  This one came with a K&K mini western pickup installed but I never play through an amp so don't know how it sounds that way.

Mark

Great to hear Mark. Hope you have many years with it!

How do you like the fretboard? It's probably flatter than what you've played. I like it except when playing barred 7th "E-shaped" chords. My poor technique just deadens the D string on the Larrivee. It's better on my more curved Eastman.

Best,
Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Mark
congratulations on your newly acquired D-03.  A great guitar.   The K & K is also a terrific setup for playing through an amp if the need ever arises.  It will just give you the natural sound of the guitar with more volume;  it won't alter the tone.    Welcome to the club.   

Bill:  I am loving the flat fretboard and also the wider nut width.  No problems so far.  As you saw on the other forum I was finally able to play some barre chords last night.  Finally, some progress!
Larrivee J-03
Fender Telecaster
Fender Stratocaster
Yamaha CPX-500
Alvarez AD80SSB
Alvarez RD20S12