Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: String Gauge for 23" scale  (Read 728 times)
12barBill

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:35:35 PM »

A coworker has a 14 year old son who is going to start taking guitar lessons at his school. He told me he had a guitar but it had a broken string and he knew nothing about guitars. I asked him if it was a full size guitar and he said yes. I told him it buy a set of Elixer 80/20 11 - 52 gauge (You won't have to worry about changing strings any time soon because they last forever and the 11 - 52 gauge will probably be OK for him on a full size guitar). He brought the guitar and strings to work for me to put the strings on for him. Well, it turns out that that:

1. It's a slot-head and I've never changed strings on a slot-head (deal with that later).

2. It's a junior size guitar with a 23 inch scale length.

Will the 11 - 52 gauge strings be to floppy on this scale length for a 14 year old?
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 09:13:35 PM »

Oh yeah, they're gonna be on the floor.  Could get some killer bends out of it though.

I have a Martin LXM with 23" scale (use if for travel), and mediums (13-56) feel just about right.  Somebody just starting out with no callouses might want light's (12-54) though

At the same time, it probably won't matter much for a while what kind of strings the kid is using.

Dave

Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:43:08 PM »

As for restringing a slothead, go here:

Frets.com link on restringing slotheads

Poor kid, though.  He's going to have to do it himself eventually....

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: