Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preamp Suggestions  (Read 869 times)
hudson

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2009, 06:47:46 PM »

Hey guys!  Just had the K&K PWM installed in my L05 & I picked up a used Ultrasound AG50 DS3 (which I am hoping will suffice for small gigs).  Now I am looking for a decent preamp to use.  Something easy to use & affordable.  Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Larrivee L-05
Gibson R8 Historic Les Paul
Gibson SG Std
Fender '69 CS Relic Strat
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 07:31:39 PM »

For the K&K I would recommend their Pure XLR. It is matched to that pickup, has lots of control and is relatively affordable.

Ron

DFR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »

hudson:

This is a timely post.  I've got the same pick-up on my OMV-50, and the same amplifier!  I too am looking at the XLR pre-amp.  If you go that way, I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Dave

Larrivee OMV-50
Martin 000-28VS(B)
La Patrie Concert
Republic (O-style reso)
'62 Silvertone (amp in case...dual lipstick p'ups)
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 05:48:28 AM »

Yes the K&K Pure preamp is fantastic. You can't get any easier to use.  Either the regular pure preamp or the XLR , both are excellent.

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Bltprf502

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 09:34:30 PM »

I use a K&K western mini on 2 of my guitars.  I plug them in to an LR Baggs Para DI.  Works great!  that is probaly the most professionally used DI in the music business....

A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 10:11:18 AM »

I'm looking at one of these. SansAmp Para Driver DI. Less than the Mama Bear and getting good reviews. Good for acoustic and electric.

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 11:10:50 AM »

I'm looking at one of these. SansAmp Para Driver DI. Less than the Mama Bear and getting good reviews. Good for acoustic and electric.

Duck, you won't regret it. I have been using their BassDI and AcousticDI (the new ParaDriver works well for acoustic and bass) for years. Before that I had their original (non midi) version of the SansAmp rack unit. Very solid and well engineered products.

When you pick up a nice piece of gear, such as Radial and Tech21 products, it is easy to understand that paying a little more upfront for the quality pays off.

Ron

MJG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 11:43:37 PM »

I use a K&K western mini on 2 of my guitars.  I plug them in to an LR Baggs Para DI.  Works great!  that is probably the most professionally used DI in the music business....

I used the K&K Pure Mini equipped guitar for a couple years with the PADI.  It worked very well.  However, I eventually bought the Pure XLR for the perfect impedance match and found it to be , not only simpler to dial in from venue to venue, but a slightly nicer tone.  The Pure mini and the XLR are made for each other. 

I will keep my Baggs PADI if I even need additional feedback control, yet still haven't, or other pick ups / application.  It is a well respected unit.

Mike <><
hudson

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 01:18:45 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I had my eye on the LR Baggs Para DI first, but the K&K Pure XLR might be the way to go since it was matched towards the PWM pu's.  I am sure either will do the job...

Larrivee L-05
Gibson R8 Historic Les Paul
Gibson SG Std
Fender '69 CS Relic Strat
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 04:50:21 PM »

LR Baggs has a new one. Similar to the PARA DI, but less adjustments and smaller to clip to a guitar strap. You can check it out here:
http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_gigpro.shtml

They have one in two channel here:
http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_mixpro.shtml

And... a new offering in stomp box style here:
http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_venue.shtml

The only Baggs preamp I've used are onboard, but a guy I play with has the PARA DI and he likes it.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 06:25:30 PM »

Th the anks everyone.  I had my eye on the LR Baggs Para DI first, but the K&K Pure XLR might be the way to go since it was matched towards the PWM pu's.  I am sure either will do the job...

There is a lot of upside to going the matching PU/Pre route. Since they are both made by the same company and voiced to work with each other you will have the best chance of getting a balanced tone.

Ron

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: