Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JJB, An Alternative to K&K Pickups and Lots Less $$$  (Read 2047 times)
fredgold52

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »

I'm sharing this with you guys because there are probably people here who want to put electrics in their guitars but want to do it in the most unobtrusive way possible.

I just installed 2 sets of PPS 200 from JJB Electrics.  This is a 2 transducer setup terminating in either a 1/4" jack or a male plug.  You can order what you want.

The transducers simply super glue onto the inside of your soundboard.  On a nice Larrivee I would replace the supplied jack with a combination strap pin / jack to go in the end pin hole in the guitar.

Mine are installed with both mixing/blending with the USTs in the guitars.  The guitars are an Alvarez MD90C and a Wechter 5714 Elite Jumbo.  In the Alvarez the PPS 200 plugs directly into the mic input.  The impedance may not be an exact match but the sound it makes is beautiful.

In the Wechter the PPS 200 plugs into the input for the mag soundhole pickup.  Works perfectly.

I also have an Epiphone PR350 with a K&K PWM installed.  I've been playing it for a couple years.  With just the JJB's Vs the K&K I have to say the sound is identical to me.  The quality of the sound is excellent and very balanced.  The K&K is slightly louder but it has three transducers, not two like the JJB I ordered.  Still under $20 Vs under $90.  I'm sorry but I don't even have to think about that decision.

I know that K&K is a favorite with many acoustic players, and IMO they deserve to be.  But this upstart little company, JJB-Electronics is giving them a run for thieir money in quality, service, the whole nine yards.

At this point, I can fully recommend the JJB products and would encourage those looking to put high quality yet unobtrusive electrics in their guitar to consider JJB.

Again, this information is only for the purpose of sharing something you may need.  I am not attached to JJB in any way.  Hope this helps someone.

Larrivee DV-03RE
Alvarez MD90C
Takamine EG523SC
Epiphone PR350
1978 Stratocaster
Alvarez RB30SC Acoustic Bass
gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:20:30 PM »

Looks like a great deal, but i noticed they used the word Piezo in the description of it. is this different then The K&K That just says transducer. If any one knows please speak up. Thanks
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 04:37:35 PM »

Looks like a great deal, but i noticed they used the word Piezo in the description of it. is this different then The K&K That just says transducer. If any one knows please speak up. Thanks

The K&K standard and mini pickups are piezo pickups, more precisely ceramic piezo pickups.
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »

Hey Fred, how about a recording?

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
fredgold52

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 03:30:25 AM »

I don't have any problem making a recording.  But I don't have any idea how to post it.  I'll see if I can find out what to do to post it and we'll get it done.

Larrivee DV-03RE
Alvarez MD90C
Takamine EG523SC
Epiphone PR350
1978 Stratocaster
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 04:42:21 AM »

I don't have any problem making a recording.  But I don't have any idea how to post it.  I'll see if I can find out what to do to post it and we'll get it done.

Just put the mp3 file on any publicly accessable web site where one can read it using http://www..... syntax. an ftp site, or public file put site.

post the url here like this:  http://randyrick.us/guitars/L09CE.mp3

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 04:48:55 AM »

http://www.jjb-electronics.com/our_products.html

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
fredgold52

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »

OK, I guess I'm just stupid.  I've tried no less than six file storage and sharing sites.  None og them give me a link that will play the recording I made.  Suggestions Please!

Larrivee DV-03RE
Alvarez MD90C
Takamine EG523SC
Epiphone PR350
1978 Stratocaster
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 01:29:56 PM »

Man, that sure looks like a copy of K&K's design. 

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
fredgold52

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »

Man, that sure looks like a copy of K&K's design. 

It does look very much like the K&K.  But, is it K&K's design or Barcus Berry's design or , well whose is it?  sI think if you will do a google search for interior mount guitar piezo transducer, you will find it's a generic sort of thing.  Personally, I think there is a factory somewhere in mainland China that's cranking these things out by the billions.  I think design ownership lives in how the final product is configured.  But that's just an opinion/guess.

All I know for sure is they work great and they are comparitively cheap.  If I could figure out the darn file hosting thing, I'd share a recording of the JJB and the K&K.

Larrivee DV-03RE
Alvarez MD90C
Takamine EG523SC
Epiphone PR350
1978 Stratocaster
fredgold52

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 08:34:30 PM »

blush  I sort of forgot I had a Soundclick page from a couple years ago.  I uploaded the comparison sound file to that.

When you listen, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep a couple things in mind.  The K&K is in a 10 year old Epiphone with a solid spruce top that's well aged and very open.  It also has mahogany sides and back (laminated).  The Wechter is brand new so it's still very tight.  It also is solid spruce top but with rosewood laminate sides and back.

Also, the eq's on the Wechter and on the computer are set flat.

Here's the addy for the soundclick file.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7434032

I've got some other tunes on there as well.

Larrivee DV-03RE
Alvarez MD90C
Takamine EG523SC
Epiphone PR350
1978 Stratocaster
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: