Miking Guitars for live work.

Started by obe-wan, March 22, 2009, 07:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gday folks,

Any of the good people here use mics for live work (on your guitar)?Any info would be great, what type of mic, placement, feedback etc.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Hi Scott,

Type of microphone and placement will depend on your playing situation (single/duo group? vocals? size of room and audience? other gear/amp/pa used?).

If you can describe I am sure you will get lots of suggestions.
Ron

Gday Ron. Im playing in a small pub to about 50-60 people. Solo, or sometimes with a guest harmonica player. Im currently playing my OM-03R with a Fishman Matrix through a Kustom Sienna acoustic amp miked into the house PA.
Id like to get a more natural acoustic tone, (Ive had about 4 different pickup systems in the guitar so far) and was thinking about miking (just like I do when Im recording).

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Hey Scott: Ive had to work thru this issue in the last few years since I came back to Gigging.  Small to medium sized bars, Holiday Inns and a lot of outdoor festivals in the summer (I love them the best) two different bands, one 6 one 5 piece electric...a big  varietyof music but a bunch of nice acoustic moments for me...L-05 and Martin DCXE  (if its real damp) both with K&K Mini,s ..Pluged strait into my on- me wireless transmitter thru my pedelboard thru either my 2 guitar amps together at relatively low volumes ( a MusicMan 2-12 HD 130 and a Roland JC-120)  and them miked with sure 58s thru a medium to large PA depending on the gig...The k&K is the secret weapon in all this..No preamp  needed, hence its passive and sounds VERY natural. Gives me a lot of options...Solo I just bring the Roland Amp and go thru it... Fred

Quote from: obe-wan on March 22, 2009, 07:51:12 AM
Gday Ron. Im playing in a small pub to about 50-60 people. Solo, or sometimes with a guest harmonica player. Im currently playing my OM-03R with a Fishman Matrix through a Kustom Sienna acoustic amp miked into the house PA.
Id like to get a more natural acoustic tone, (Ive had about 4 different pickup systems in the guitar so far) and was thinking about miking (just like I do when Im recording).

Cheers, Scott.

For that type of show I would use a mic and go straight to the PA. A lot of folks use a dynamic, such as the SM57 (although I prefer the BETA57A). They are very forgiving and offer good gain before feedback. If you have a decent room and a sound man that can help tame things, you may want to look at using a small diameter condenser microphone (the benefit being a wider frequency response).

Ron

P.S.  I tried every conceivable Microphone ( Dynamic and Electret) and every placement i could dream up  and it NEVER works out good  playing somewhere..save the mike for recording ..nuttin better for that..