Preamp Suggestions

Started by hudson, March 13, 2009, 01:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey guys!  Just had the K&K PWM installed in my L05 & I picked up a used Ultrasound AG50 DS3 (which I am hoping will suffice for small gigs).  Now I am looking for a decent preamp to use.  Something easy to use & affordable.  Any suggestions?

Thanks...
Larrivee L-05
Gibson R8 Historic Les Paul
Gibson SG Std
Fender '69 CS Relic Strat

For the K&K I would recommend their Pure XLR. It is matched to that pickup, has lots of control and is relatively affordable.
Ron

hudson:

This is a timely post.  I've got the same pick-up on my OMV-50, and the same amplifier!  I too am looking at the XLR pre-amp.  If you go that way, I'd be interested to hear what you think.
Dave

Larrivee OMV-50
Martin 000-28VS(B)
La Patrie Concert
Republic (O-style reso)
'62 Silvertone (amp in case...dual lipstick p'ups)

Yes the K&K Pure preamp is fantastic. You can't get any easier to use.  Either the regular pure preamp or the XLR , both are excellent.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I use a K&K western mini on 2 of my guitars.  I plug them in to an LR Baggs Para DI.  Works great!  that is probaly the most professionally used DI in the music business....
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

I'm looking at one of these. SansAmp Para Driver DI. Less than the Mama Bear and getting good reviews. Good for acoustic and electric.

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 15, 2009, 05:11:18 AM
I'm looking at one of these. SansAmp Para Driver DI. Less than the Mama Bear and getting good reviews. Good for acoustic and electric.

Duck, you won't regret it. I have been using their BassDI and AcousticDI (the new ParaDriver works well for acoustic and bass) for years. Before that I had their original (non midi) version of the SansAmp rack unit. Very solid and well engineered products.

When you pick up a nice piece of gear, such as Radial and Tech21 products, it is easy to understand that paying a little more upfront for the quality pays off.
Ron

Quote from: Bltprf502 on March 14, 2009, 04:34:30 PM
I use a K&K western mini on 2 of my guitars.  I plug them in to an LR Baggs Para DI.  Works great!  that is probably the most professionally used DI in the music business....

I used the K&K Pure Mini equipped guitar for a couple years with the PADI.  It worked very well.  However, I eventually bought the Pure XLR for the perfect impedance match and found it to be , not only simpler to dial in from venue to venue, but a slightly nicer tone.  The Pure mini and the XLR are made for each other. 

I will keep my Baggs PADI if I even need additional feedback control, yet still haven't, or other pick ups / application.  It is a well respected unit.
Mike <><

Thanks everyone.  I had my eye on the LR Baggs Para DI first, but the K&K Pure XLR might be the way to go since it was matched towards the PWM pu's.  I am sure either will do the job...
Larrivee L-05
Gibson R8 Historic Les Paul
Gibson SG Std
Fender '69 CS Relic Strat

LR Baggs has a new one. Similar to the PARA DI, but less adjustments and smaller to clip to a guitar strap. You can check it out here:
http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_gigpro.shtml

They have one in two channel here:
http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_mixpro.shtml

And... a new offering in stomp box style here:
http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_venue.shtml

The only Baggs preamp I've used are onboard, but a guy I play with has the PARA DI and he likes it.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: hudson on March 16, 2009, 08:18:45 AM
Th the anks everyone.  I had my eye on the LR Baggs Para DI first, but the K&K Pure XLR might be the way to go since it was matched towards the PWM pu's.  I am sure either will do the job...

There is a lot of upside to going the matching PU/Pre route. Since they are both made by the same company and voiced to work with each other you will have the best chance of getting a balanced tone.
Ron