Practice amp - VOX or Roland

Started by mannish, February 26, 2009, 08:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am looking a picking up a practice amp from my local music store.  The owner of the store also gives me guitar lessons so I want to also provide her with some business.  She is trying to steer me towards VOX amps but she also handles Roland.  I have the impression that Roland makes higher quality amps than VOX, but I am a total newbie at the amp thing, so wanted some feedback.  So my first impulse was to go more for Roland than VOX.  She also has some Fender amps (the larger cabinet kind that are about 3 feet long)

In general which company makes better amps?  I was thinking of something in the 30-60 watt range, and maybe with a few effects built in.  Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Thanks.   
Webber Roundbody Rosewood/Englemann 2001
Martin OO-15c Custom  Mahogany/Sitka 2014

My recommendation goes to the Roland Cube series. The features are well thought out, they seem sturdier built ,and the built-in effects give you the advantages of Boss pedals. Good Luck. Tell us how it turns out!

:nana_guitar
Mark

Larrivee Parlor
'05Martin 000x
'91 Gibson Star
'93Gibson J-45
'08 Gibson SG Faded
"06 Fender Neck Thru Strat
68 Gibson ES-330

Are you talking for an acoustic guitar or electric? And are you sure you want feedback? :humour:
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Thanks for the replies, this is for acoustic use only.  For my L-03 Bubinga with I Beam Active and my OM-03R with Fishman Matrix Infinity. 

And no I don't want "feedback" (very clever Flatlander) I was interested in responses, opinions.   :humour:

Last night I tried out the Roland AC-60 and it was extremely nice.  The $450 price tag I cannot afford right now though, unfortunately.  However, now that I have heard it, I don't know if I would want to settle for anything less.  So maybe I will just have to wait until I can afford it. 

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments. 
Webber Roundbody Rosewood/Englemann 2001
Martin OO-15c Custom  Mahogany/Sitka 2014

I'd recommend you do some more research. If you're playing acoustic through it, there are amps designed for that, that may perform better. Also many have XLR input for mic's which can come in handy. Some of these amps aren't too expensive. If you search back through topics here, you see reviews and suggestions.
I have a Vox Valvetronix. It's pretty good for what it is at price, but more for electric to me. One of the fender settings on it might be ok for acoustic. No XLR. Korg effects built in which are pretty good. Good luck, gotta go.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

My advice would be to go for a specific acoustic amp. Any electric amp will ruin the transparency of the sound and you will ultimately be unhappy, especially an electric tube amp. There are lots of options, and I can only speak to the one I currently own, which is a Ultrasound. I'm very happy with mine.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Some models of both the Roland Cubes and the Vox practice amps have "mic" inputs which will be better for an acoustic than the regular guitar inputs.  But those inputs are intended for voice, so they are on a separate circuit that bypasses the amp models and effects, which are the main reason people buy these amps in the first place.  And the sound from the mic input won't be nearly as good as a dedicated acoustic amp.

What exactly do you plan to use the amp for?  If it's for home use, why do you need an amp at all?  If it's for small gigs, aren't you way better off springing for a real acoustic amp?  There are some that are fairly affordable.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

The Roland Ac-60 is an acoustic amp...

Ron

In that case...Never mind!
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

The Roland AC 60 would be a great choice , and not just cause I have one for sale !  The AC in AC 60 stands for Acoustic Chorus, and with the separate channel for michrophone you can't go wrong. I know you probably want to give your local shop the business, but mine is minty and I can  ship it to you  for $350.
Martin 000-28 H Ambertone Custom
Larrivee 00-09 Wildwood Custom
Ovation Classical
Ovation Celbrity
Fender Nylon

Larrivee OMV-03R   SOLD
71 GIbson ES-355   Long gone
68 Gibson  J-45 Gone in the 70's
Fender Starcaster..sold in the seventies
72 Fender Tele Deluxe gone ,