Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Opinions on Electronics Rearrangement  (Read 493 times)
fredgold52

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2009, 09:57:17 PM »

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum and very happy to be here.  Here ya go, have a donut on me.   and some coffee too  , cause I need for you to think with me about this.

I have a new Wechter 5714 Elite Jumbo with their 3 pickup system.  1 Piezo UST, 1 cheapish passive magnetic soundhole pickup and 1 condensor mic.  The idea behind the system seems very good to me.  I am just questionning the quality of the individual components.  It has a decent preamp with 3 slider EQ and blend for the UST and soundhole pu.  I am pretty set on replacing the UST with an L.R. Baggs UST.  I will probably leave the mic alone, although all it seems to add is low end.  It's mostly the magnetic soundhole pickup I'm wondering about.

To replace the mag pickup, there are a few potentially good replacements.  Fishman makes a decent passive black soundhole pickup and L.R. Baggs has the passive M1.  Going down a different road, the K&K Mini Western is a possible as is the Baggs passive I Beam several hadow products, and so on.

There's just so much out there.  This is a good guitar and it deserves a better quality system that what's stock.  What would you do component wise to improve the sound?

Thanks,
Fred

Here, looks like you could use another one 

Larrivee DV-03RE
Alvarez MD90C
Takamine EG523SC
Epiphone PR350
1978 Stratocaster
Alvarez RB30SC Acoustic Bass
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:29:22 PM »

I hate to eat and run, but I got nothing.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
fredgold52

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 03:38:18 PM »

FWIW, I have made some decisions about what I'm going to do with both these guitars.

The Alvarez is going to get a JJB electronics PPS 200 two transducer set up installed and plugged into its mic input.  So the PPS 200 will be blended with the UST already in the guitar.

The Wechter is going to get its magnetic souondhole pickup removed and replaced with a PPS 200.  Also, it has an Artec PP607 UST in it right now which is going to be swapped for an Artec FS607 UST.  The FS is supposed to have different sonic characteristics from the PP - we'll see, they're inexpensive.

I'll post something about how well (or not) this works so anyone interested can see.

Larrivee DV-03RE
Alvarez MD90C
Takamine EG523SC
Epiphone PR350
1978 Stratocaster
Alvarez RB30SC Acoustic Bass
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: