Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1999 saddle material ?  (Read 634 times)
finewoods

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:28:39 PM »

Can anyone take an educated guess at what type of material was used for the saddle s in 1999 or could it be different in each guitar. I acquired a 1999 DV-05 with a end pin jack pickup with 9 volt battery. I e-mailed Grag at Larrivee with a serial # and found out the guitar was manufactured in 1999 but he couldn't tell me what electronics if any. I read somewhere some of them came with Fishman matrix with no pre-amp. Any Larrivee experts here or historians on this forum can fill me in ?.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:46:32 PM »

you should be able to tell what material it is by just looking at the texture. If not take it out, stick it with a hot pin and smell.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:52:10 PM »

Hard to say with a passive setup. It might easily be post factory. 1999? The saddle is likely to be Tusq unless it's been altered, as well. What Jeremy says. You'll know the moment you burn some of it, if it's bone or not.
finewoods

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 12:32:39 AM »

Sorry, I have never smelled burned tusq or bone and just don't know what either would smell like. Can you describe ?
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 01:40:07 AM »

The tusq will smell plastic(because it is), bone won't. Bone smells kinda like when you file your fingernails. Also like I said it shouldn't be hard to tell by looking at them, one will look like plastic and the other bone.

finewoods

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »

Thanks for the replies. The reason I ask is I have a couple of burrs or slots on my saddle from where the strings have moved or something when played previously. Can these tiny other slots be sanded or smoothed somehow so the strings affected won't move sideways into the slots.

Finewoods 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:18:58 PM »

You'd simply replace a saddle if it's too worn.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:36:19 PM »

Thanks for the replies. The reason I ask is I have a couple of burrs or slots on my saddle from where the strings have moved or something when played previously. Can these tiny other slots be sanded or smoothed somehow so the strings affected won't move sideways into the slots.

Finewoods 

I'm not really sure what you are asking but remember that when you sand grooves/dips/slots or scratches out of something everything has to come down to that same level. So if you are sanding out slots that are lower than where your strings rest then you will be affecting the action of the guitar.

finewoods

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »

Thanks for the info. I agree a new saddle would probably be in order. I'm leaning toward tusq after reading the qualities on both.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »

Thanks for the info. I agree a new saddle would probably be in order. I'm leaning toward tusq after reading the qualities on both.

I would go with bone, it will probably sound better and it will definitely last longer. Tusq is too soft, grooves form quickly where the strings rest. Tusq is plastic and to me it sounds like it too.

finewoods

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 02:06:22 PM »

I will check out the bone saddle with my local luthier. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: