Acoustic live setup...donuts here!

Started by Dan, February 23, 2009, 10:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey guys just wanted to know what you guys were running live acoustic. I lead worship at my church and play by myself alot and just wanted to know how to beef up the sound a little. Do you guys use any compression, chorus or reverb? Have any of you ever really messed with loops stations? Have any of you ever used a porch board or Shadow Electronic SH stompin' Bass? I just want you guys to throw some ideas out there that I can chew on and decide waht is best for me and my playing style. I have researched this alot over the past 6 months to a year? DONUTS FOR ALL!!! :donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :coffee :coffee :guitar :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut :coffee :coffee :donut :donut2

I have bought a few things. I bought a loop station and a visual sound H2O pedal. I also run my Larrivee D-50 with an after market undersaddle piezo pickup through an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic D.I.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments guys!
Dan

Personal opinion here:
For worship, I use the "keep it simple" approach. Although you might deepen the sound using loops and etc, it may appear to turn into a performance instead of worship. Drawing people to worship (to me) is easier with less distractions. A simple guitar or two with a pure voice is incredably powerful, emotion filled, and (for lack of better terminology) pure.

Effects pedals are a different animal. They tend to alter your tone and change your sound. This is more a matter of preference to what you want to sound like. My opinion (with 5 pennies will get you a nickel) is that I like a more pure acoustic tone. I don't use compression except on my electric guitar. Depending on your venue, reverb can be a really bad thing. Most rooms you will use for congregational purposes will have a natural reverb, especially if you are amplified. Electrical reverb mixed with ambient room reverb can get muddy. Chorus can be affective, but I use it VERY sparingly and have mostly given it up lately.

What I find enlightening is to have another musician listen to you in the setting you play in. That would be a far better yardstick to measure by. How it ultimately sounds to the congregation is a more beneficial result than what you think you hear or what others might be doing. We used to play in the commons of a high school, which was about the worst as far as acoustic sound quality. When we finally built our building, we had a VERY tough time nailing down the sound because we couldn't blame it on the room.

However, these are only my preferences. The one thing I do know is that you are leading worship for a particular purpose. Listening to me and my views should be least in your concerns. Enquire on bended knee from Whom you are worshipping. He will let you know what He would like you to do with His people. If that means standing on your head with a kazoo, you would be amazed at how affective He will make you... even if I'm kazoo-less!
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Thinking of good uses for loop stations... check this out. This really impressed me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UND-DtHBZQ
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: Dale_I on February 24, 2009, 12:40:06 AM
Thinking of good uses for loop stations... check this out. This really impressed me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UND-DtHBZQ

That's very tasteful layering with the loop station, but I never would've guessed that the song was supposed to be "Amazing Grace" if there hadn't been atitle there.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Thanks for the donuts!  To me the best sounding acoustics live are the ones that sound the most like they do when they aren't amplified at all.  Plug into your church's PA and go, maybe you need a pre-amp but that's about it.  Do you have a pre-amp?  You may not even need one.  LR Braggs makes a goold little belt clip one that is inexpensive.  I've got a K&K one that I picked up used on ebay that is nice but if I didn't find it I wouldn't have bot the Braggs.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I'm using the K&K Trinity System with the Trinity preamp into an old DOD analog delay then to the DI.

Thanks guys! All of this info is so helpful!

Dale, You make such a good point. Its not really how good we sound or how much is going on so that we feel we sound good but it is how transparent we can become so He can be seen. What a great reminder.

The Josh Wilson "Amazing Grace" loop is my inspiration for buying my own loop station. I love that guy man. He is so talented and coming to my area with Big Daddy Weave in May. I am looking forward to that event.

I have been watching other musicians and friends play and I have come to the realization of something. I piano player can make a big difference. Guys like Brandon Heath and a fellow named Mark Balltzglier, who is leading us in worship this week for revival, are using nothing but acoustic guitars and piano's/keyboards. This seems to really fill out the sound without alot of distraction and annoyances going on.

So on that note, If anyone knows a good piano/keyboard player who is into the same style of music send him/her to the boards to talk to me.

Thanks guys! All of your opinions and advice were very helpful to me. Donuts for all!  :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2

Just as a side note, I do run my Larrivee through an LR Baggs Para Acoustic D.I. That thing is amazing!
Dan