First Build - Part 5...'The END!' *More Audio Added 03/23

Started by jeremy3220, February 19, 2009, 10:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok the catchphrase to Part 5(The End) isn't very exciting but it's more informative than the beta title 'Escape from Hogalopolis'

Anyway, I left off Part 4 'The Saga Continues' with shots of the some of the finishing process. Here is the link: http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=23940.0

I polished out the rest of the guitar and installed the tuners.

Then glue on the bridge and what not, then string'er up.

Specs:
Red Spruce top
Mahogany back, sides and neck
Sitka bracing
Ebony bridge and fingerboard
Cocobolo headplate
Black boltaron and ebony trim
Gotoh tuners
1 25/32" nut

That looks real nice Jeremy - but no fancy label inside? It should have all the custom specs, and of course be id'd as #1, and signed and dated. You know what problems Jean has gotten into by not keeping accurate details on each guitar he's built!

I'd ask how it sounds, but this fresh, I imagine its going to take a while for the finish to fully cure and the top to open up. Play the heck out of it for a while, and then bring us part 6!

Congrats!   :nice guitar:

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Love the headplate!

I am have two questions:

1. What finish did you use? (would you use it again?)
2. What did you use for the side braces? Ribbon, Ebony, or Rosewood?

Nice to see the update on the build....
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Very, very nice! Congrats!
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

That is awesome - something to be really proud of!

:nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar:
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Thanks guys.

Tad, it still has a make shift plastic saddle with the action at .075" on the low E. Once I get a real saddle made I'll report on the sound. I may put a label in it, I'm undecided on that. I'm also going to put a pickguard on. Probably a Tortis 30's swirl pattern.

limnephilidae, I used TruOil and I sealed the top with shellac before applying the TruOil. I used side reinforcement strips made from bias ply tape. If I were to use side braces I would use spruce.

Congrats, Jeremy! She looks nice! Can't wait to hear ya pickin Whiskey Before Breakfast or Hangman's on her! Mine is getting there as well. I have the top on and the neck blank heel carved and fitted at the correct plane. Just have to finish the carving and finish the body and neck, wait I guess I still have about 50% to go!

So what is the next one?

Jeremey-- 

It looks beautiful.  Is it too early to place our orders for a custom Jeremey Special?          :humour: 

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Very nicely done Jeremy. How does she sound? Play us a tune!  :beer

Congradulations Jeremy  :thumb   :donut :coffee

Building one's own guitar is no small achievement...
so much planning and many months of dedicated work.
There will never be another guitar like this one.
She will always be special to you.

Thank you for sharing the project with us and the long journey !
When the strings settle in and the guitar begins to open up we look forward to hearing her showcase.  :bgrin:

Did you have a reflective moment after completion when you just sat and enjoyed looking at her ?
...and thinking back over the journey ?

Since you took the time to share this project with us, now you have it documented for your future enjoyment !

May you enjoy the fruits of your labor for decades to come  :thumb

- Larry
PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50

This looks really nice Jeremy. A great conclusion.... time to play some music...

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Very Nice Jeremy. Congratulations on a job well done!  :thumb
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Looks pristine. The aesthetic appeal to me a lot. It has a no BS way about it with the dark bridge pins and all. I'd put a clear guard on it instead, but that's just me.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: GA-ME on February 20, 2009, 05:00:25 AM
Congrats, Jeremy! She looks nice! Can't wait to hear ya pickin Whiskey Before Breakfast or Hangman's on her! Mine is getting there as well. I have the top on and the neck blank heel carved and fitted at the correct plane. Just have to finish the carving and finish the body and neck, wait I guess I still have about 50% to go!

So what is the next one?

Thanks. The finish takes a surprising amount of time if you've never done one before. It maybe a while before I get to start on the next one. It isn't practical for me to start on another right now otherwise the materials would already be here. I've been thinking about a 12 fret dread or 000 though.

Quote from: ncognito on February 20, 2009, 05:52:06 AM
Jeremey-- 

It looks beautiful.  Is it too early to place our orders for a custom Jeremey Special?          :humour: 

DAVE

I'm already booked for the next 5 years  :laughin: but seriously, it's way too early to place your order. I'm not even close to feeling comfortable selling one for a couple reasons 1) The quality just isn't up to snuff yet and 2) I probably don't have the skills to repair one if it were to come back with major issues. You've kinda touched on a hot topic in guitar making. I've seen people who's second build is a commission build and that just seems irresponsible to me.

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 20, 2009, 06:25:17 AM
Very nicely done Jeremy. How does she sound? Play us a tune!  :beer

Thanks, I'll report on the sound once I get the bone saddle in. Right now the low E is below what it should be on an electric guitar. I don't know when I'll get to it but I'll try to record a clip sometime.

Quote from: lw216316 on February 20, 2009, 07:06:22 AM

Did you have a reflective moment after completion when you just sat and enjoyed looking at her ?
...and thinking back over the journey ?

I expected to feel that but it's different than when you put something together like a new bicycle or hooking up a car stereo and you push a button and turn it on. It's like I've had the guitar for months now and stringing it up really didn't change how I felt about it much. It's hard to explain my thoughts on the journey. When I think back to when I was doing something like trimming and shaping the headblock it's hard to relate to the experience; that seems like it was too long ago and I could have been a different person then. I think there is something weird about building a guitar.

:nana_guitar :nanadance :nana_guitar

Congrats man it loooks GREAT and I look fwd to hearing it soon!!!

Very nice looking finish!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Congrats Mr. J
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

THAT is a beauty!!!You should be proud of yourself :smile:

Jeremy, once you get the setup right how about a little video upload of you flatpicking with it?
               I am going to do at least an audio pretty soon, but I don't have a setup yet.      Danny