Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Build - Part 5...'The END!' *More Audio Added 03/23  (Read 6002 times)
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 05:33:56 PM »

+1 Nice one Jeremy, and congrats with a well finished project. I love the Coco headplate, and that organic top looks great!! a "homemade" D18GE!!!!

Thanks.

sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2009, 05:12:17 AM »

Jeremy

that looks absolutely great.  should be plenty proud.  been really nice to follow your progress and the study that went into it shows in the product as well in remarks you have made here in the forum during the build about guitars and the science that is behind them.  have to say watching and reading about your guitar here makes it seem like a Forum guitar to me.  Congrats and thanks for sharing.  Enjoy.

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 03:10:53 PM »

Thanks, Jeff 

I haven't been working on soundclips because I'm still messing with the guitar. I'm getting wolf tones on the low E notes because I think the resonant frequency of the plates are too close together. I'll probably end up shaving the back braces some.

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2009, 03:20:37 AM »

Ok here's a short audio clip. The computer I record with seems to be on the fritz (you'll hear a bunch of 'artifacts' in the clip) so I threw this together. Yeah, it's kinda rough. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=480726&songID=7435162

It sounds even worse when you stream it on soundclick. All my recordings take on this tin can effect and it really kills the bottom end, so it will sound better if you download it. My guitar is the one playing lead and the rhythm is on my OM/PW. It's not the best song to showcase the sound, maybe I'll record some more examples if I get the chance.

I was also able to take some better pics when the sun was out the other day.

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2009, 03:43:12 AM »

Jeremy- it's come a long way since i saw it last:the end!. I just got a new pc with Windows Vista 64bit, which they haven't made a 64 bit flash player for yet, so I'll have to jump over to Firefox to hear it (32bit browser).  WOW ! Looks amazing. You said the sound-clip doesn't do it justice. I'll have to keep that in mind when I get to playing it. I love the vintage look to it &, as mentioned, the cocobola veneer. You should make a label of some sort, because you shouldn't stop here. If it sounds as good as it looks, you've got a hobby that can turn into a side business. Keep building!
Jeff

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
pehabe

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2009, 08:02:29 AM »

+1 +1 +1

Congratulation Jeremy for your 'finally finished' guitar  bigrin

It sound 'sehr gut' and I admire your playing.

Thanks for sharing this saga with us.

nice guitar nice guitar nice guitar

cheers,
Peter

ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2009, 12:47:27 PM »

Jeremy--  Blackberry Blossom sounds real nice.  Your new homemade dread is a beauty, and your playing has me wanting to hear more.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2009, 01:27:17 PM »

Sounds GREAT man!!!

Nice work

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2009, 01:30:25 PM »

It sounds awesome Jeremy - and looks even better in the sun.

nice guitar nice guitar nice guitar

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »

Jeremy- I finally got to hear the clip. Sounds great! If you tweak the bracing, I'm assuming it will have the exact sound you want. Like the song & your playing. Sounds like you're influenced by "mountain" music alot (Americana). Has that sound that was carried over by our forefathers & developed into bluegrass & mountain ballads. Great stuff & sound!
Jeff   

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
pennerblue

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2009, 04:44:21 PM »

Awesome Jeremy.  Congrats, BIG TIME.  I can't hardly imagine how gratifying it must be to play a guitar that you built.  Being someone that likes to do and make things rather than buy them, I must say, you piqued my curiosity about potentially trying this myself someday.

Until then, I'm sending you a $250 downpayment, assuming that you can get some of that Italian Spruce for the top.  I'm thinking either koa or walnut for back and sides...

Penner

Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

“Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it’s more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique.”
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »

Thanks guys.

Dave, if you click on my 'main artist page' you can hear some other stuff I recorded. Whiskey Before Breakfast is on there but some the other stuff gets a little weird.

Jeff, no it won't have the exact sound I want cause I want it to sound like a 1935 Martin D-18 but that ain't happening. I'm thinking about shaving the upper back braces to elimate the wolf tone on the low E's. It's funny because right now I have 2 clothes pins clipped on the second back brace and that has almost completely eliminated it. So that tells me where I need to loosen things but there's no rush and besides the clothes pins are super cool. And yeah, I'm into traditional American music.

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2009, 04:55:34 PM »

Until then, I'm sending you a $250 downpayment, assuming that you can get some of that Italian Spruce for the top.  I'm thinking either koa or walnut for back and sides...

Ha! I'll put you on my waiting list. I could do koa or walnut but maple clothes pins are a pricey upcharge 

You should build one. You won't regret it, all you need is the right mind set.

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2009, 09:52:33 AM »

Sounds very nice.  That has to be incredibly fulfilling to hear the fruits of your labor finally after months of planning, spending, sanding, gluing, worrying, etc.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2009, 05:15:17 PM »

Jeremy, that sounded very nice to me. I know if a studio recorded it and tweaked it it might clean up more, but it still sounds great to me. Thanks for sharing it. I like the sound of you guitar and your playing.
danny

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »

Thanks guys 

I recorded another Norman Blake tune "Prettiest Little Girl in the County". It's one of those songs that's easy to play but not so easy to play well. I do think this clip represents the tone of the guitar a little better.  Anyway here's the link http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/1297133

I tried ReverbNation this time, the streaming quality seems slightly better than Soundclick. I want to do a full version of Blackberry Blossom with variations and everything on the lead and rhythm but by bum computer is holding me back.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2009, 08:55:48 PM »

It is much clearer now and my foot went to a tappin'.
danny

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2009, 10:12:17 PM »

Nice job Jeremy, your playing and the guitar sound great.  You should be proud of your work.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2009, 03:14:01 AM »

Jeremy

The pics you put up since the last time I looked in really show a fine looking instrument.  The tunes sound really good too (and just the sort of stuff I am working on).  Must have been practicing on one of those 'store bought' models!  Great work all the way around.

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2009, 07:44:45 AM »

Thanks again 

Must have been practicing on one of those 'store bought' models! 

Well you have to make do with what ya got sometimes 

Actually I didn't practice that much while I was building and my playing declined some. Recording myself is always a wake up call that I need to practice more.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: