Grover
3 (14.3%)
Schaller
1 (4.8%)
waverly
8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 24, 2009, 01:27:00 PM

I have been in the market to upgrade my machine heads on my L-05 for quite some time now and have talked to a few forum members and local musicians about the subject. As you can imagine, I'm getting conflicting info. I want only the best and i don't mind spending a little extra money to have the best. So, what do you think?
If there are any manufacturers I've overlooked,  Please advise!

All the ones you mention are fine tuners. The Gotoh 510 deltas are the prettiest. 

Love my Gotohs!!!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Gotoh's are excellent.  So are Grovers but I don't think they are exact drop-ins like the 510s, so you might need new pilot holes.  Schallers are excellent too but I guess there's a few people that have complained about their quality in the past.  Gotoh 510s, a no-brainer!
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I agree with the Gotoh 510's, that's what I have on my L-05MT. I would go with the 18:1 ratio standard 510s instead of the 21:1 Delta's especially if you do alot of altered tunings.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Nice new signature pic bhika!
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Well, I purchased a couple of sets of Gotoh 510s also, and I like them quite a bit. Still, I think you overlooked the best:
Waverly

Quote from: Queequeg on February 19, 2009, 03:03:48 PM
Well, I purchased a couple of sets of Gotoh 510s also, and I like them quite a bit. Still, I think you overlooked the best:
Waverly
Queegueg,
Now we're talking, those are beautiful!!!! :drool: I think they're pretty enough for my Lilly (L-05). At first glance I noticed, the hole configuration is different than stock. I understand new holes will have to be drilled but, do you think the old hole will be visible once the Waverly's are installed?       

Quote from: Queequeg on February 19, 2009, 03:03:48 PM
Waverly

Yeah - - -

WOW - gold and black pearl waverly tuners  :drool: :drool: but at around $250 a set that hurts a bit.  Do this type of tuner cover the screw hole from the std Pings/Schallers anyway, albeit necessary to drill two new holes for each tuner?  Anyone done the switch?

With the typical perfectionists complaints about Pings (I totally include myslef in that category, so not meant offensively) set aside, Larrivee produce guitars with perfectly suitable and usable tuners.  Were I to upgrade, I would only do so if I was getting the best.  I think the Gotoh 510 deltas are really pretty and suit a contemporary guitar style, but the Waverlys are a must for the traditional type of guitar better.

I voted Waverly, just because the ones pictured below are simply stunning.  I don't have a traditional series guitar though (sigh), so I am not convinced they would 'go' with the overall design of my guitars.  I think they need a simple square headstock.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

couple things: you can mix a little saw dust with some cyanoacrylate (superglue) and fill the old holes, or just get a furniture crayon of appropriate color from the hardware store.
BTW, if you simply like the look, Grover makes a Waverly knockoff for far less $ but it is actually a two-piece plate which I think is an inferior design to the Waverly genuine article.

Another vote for waverlys. Not a direct drop in replacement but that wasn't a condition in the poll.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Sorry if I'm showing my lack of knowledge here,but.....

what does "BEST" actually mean,when looking at "this" level of tuners?What does one do better than the other,looks aside?

Thanks

They tune the guitar to open tunings just through the power of telepathy, and when you put the guitar down they toddle off and make you a cup of tea.   :whistling:

Seriously, I think there is a consensus that waverlys and gotohs are the best for smooth action and accuracy, and the rest is just cosmetic preference.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

For dependability, I have to throw a vote for Grovers. I still have the originals on my 1977 Martin D-35 and have never had a bit of trouble in 31 years with them. They also have a simple clean look and I switch tunings with this guitar on a regular basis. (C, D, G, DADGAD, Dropped D and Double dropped D)

I will reserve judgment on my other tuners until I have had them for another 8 or 10 years.

The only problem with that is he'll have to find a 30 year old set of tuners. The only problems I've had with the pings is the difficulty finding replacement buttons that I am confident will fit properly -  and that is almost entirely aesthetic ( I do like lessening the weight on the headstock a bit as the other benefit ).

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

well the votes are in, Gotoh tuners are the winner by a small margin. i will take your advice and go with the Gotoh's. Although ,Waverly's are beautiful and are of high/highest quality I like the idea of the drop in fit.  The old holes being visible and filled is not an option for me. i feel filling hole would almost be like "Jerry Rigging" a perfect git. thank you all for your input.   

I don't know which is best, but I really like the Gotoh's that came standard on my Eastman.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Quote from: amoore on February 25, 2009, 07:27:04 AM
well the votes are in, Gotoh tuners are the winner by a small margin. i will take your advice and go with the Gotoh's. Although ,Waverly's are beautiful and are of high/highest quality I like the idea of the drop in fit.  The old holes being visible and filled is not an option for me. i feel filling hole would almost be like "Jerry Rigging" a perfect git. thank you all for your input.   

I think you got 5 or 6 votes in for Gotoh's before you added the Waverly's as an option. Don't get me wrong the Gotoh's are great tuners but I think Waverly would have won the "best" category had they been there from the start.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 25, 2009, 03:14:17 PM
I think you got 5 or 6 votes in for Gotoh's before you added the Waverly's as an option. Don't get me wrong the Gotoh's are great tuners but I think Waverly would have one the "best" category had they been there from the start.
I think he knows that Waverlys are best, but the Gotohs are good tuners. Not only did his options change mid-way through the poll, his prioriites changed as well. But that's OK. What he really wanted was a solution.
To err is dysfunctional; to forgive co-dependent