Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seagull bridge,bridge plate and top  (Read 2522 times)
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 02:15:57 AM »

From the looks of the birdge plate, all the holes seem to be slightly damaged by the string balls.
I am no expert, but with those fingernail marks also, my bet is the plate is made from wood that is too soft.
If its that soft, I also wonder how much sound is being absorbed and lost instead of driving the top?

just my .02   ds

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 02:24:51 AM »

From the looks of the birdge plate, all the holes seem to be slightly damaged by the string balls.
I am no expert, but with those fingernail marks also, my bet is the plate is made from wood that is too soft.
If its that soft, I also wonder how much sound is being absorbed and lost instead of driving the top?

just my .02   ds
  Not bad for only 2 cents
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 02:50:22 AM »

Not bad for only 2 cents

Very economical. 

I'm going to try the oversized bridge pins or bridge pins without slots and slot them myself.
I found some new interesting info Here. Scroll down and check out the partially slotted bridge pin idea.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 02:52:38 AM »

Well the top and the braces are made from soft wood. If it were a type of softwood with a high stiffness to weight ratio it would let the top vibrate more. A dense wood like ebony would be one that would cause the sound loss. The reason hardwoods are used for the bridgeplate is durability. It's said that generally a less dense hardwood bridgeplate like maple will sound brighter than a denser wood like rosewood or ebony. It's the same reason a bridge made of EI rosewood sounds brighter than one from ebony or a spruce top sounds brighter and louder than a mahogany top. The wood with the higher stiffness to weight ratio is going to have less energy loss and produce sound more efficiently.

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 03:02:48 AM »

Well the top and the braces are made from soft wood. If it were a type of softwood with a high stiffness to weight ratio it would let the top vibrate more. A dense wood like ebony would be one that would cause the sound loss. The reason hardwoods are used for the bridgeplate is durability. It's said that generally a less dense hardwood bridgeplate like maple will sound brighter than a denser wood like rosewood or ebony. It's the same reason a bridge made of EI rosewood sounds brighter than one from ebony or a spruce top sounds brighter and louder than a mahogany top. The wood with the higher stiffness to weight ratio is going to have less energy loss and produce sound more efficiently.

Interesting Jeremy, it makes sense.

Roger

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 03:10:44 AM »

Very economical. 

I'm going to try the oversized bridge pins or bridge pins without slots and slot them myself.
I found some new interesting info Here. Scroll down and check out the partially slotted bridge pin idea.
 I like that link Roger, I'm going to use it on one of my gits. I knew about ramping, but the slot to string size and slotless pins is new to me. And once again you see the warning about the ball causing a buzz if it's not up against the bridge plate.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 06:53:57 PM »

I ordered some ebony pins from LMII and I have to say that when I was pricing the pins I thought they were expensive because I was under the impression the prices were for each one, not so.
1 Set of 6 oversized ebony = $4.55
1 set of 6 ebony with abalone dot = $7.60
1 set of 6 ebony unslotted w/Ab dot = $7.60
plus a couple bone saddle blanks for $3.55 each

I decided to use the unslotted pins and slot the holes instead, it worked out great.  I also got my first opportunity to make a compensated bone saddle from a blank.  Seeing as it was my first stab at it I decided to use the contour of the original.

Roger

Trinity Guitars

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 09:42:37 PM »

Thanks Danny, I always put a bend in the string before putting it through the hole. I also tried the sharp bend you suggest. And I tried turning the pin with the slot facing away.

Thanks Jeremy, all the pins in my guitars are the same size so there was no difference when swapping them. I think I'll try the larger pins but how do I know what size to get?  The ones at stewmac just say oversize,  how do I know they will be big enough?

Also take a look at this pic. Is this a Maple bridge plate? Is Maple soft enough to put marks into it like this with your fingernail?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks again.

These are GREAT shots!  I am going to try your mirror process and see if i can come cloes to the quality of your photos. Just great shots.
Jim Holler

Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com
Yoyodyne

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 12:12:57 AM »

Yeah, I was blown away by the photo quality too...very cool.

2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02
1982 el cheapo (Fairmont) LP copy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: