Strap Pin or Not?

Started by rpm60912, February 19, 2009, 01:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will it hurt our Larrivees if we install a strap pin like all Taylors on the treble side of the heel of the neck?   

(Is there some dowels or nut inside the dovetail joint that might get damaged by the strap pin?)

Or is it much better to just tie a string on the headstock side by the nut attached to the strap?

Any suggestions?

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on February 19, 2009, 01:09:40 AM
Will it hurt our Larrivees if we install a strap pin like all Taylors on the treble side of the heel of the neck?   

(Is there some dowels or nut inside the dovetail joint that might get damaged by the strap pin?)

Or is it much better to just tie a string on the headstock side by the nut attached to the strap?

Any suggestions?

ricky

It won't hurt to put in a button, Larrivee's web site tells you exactly where to put it.

But I'd just tie the string to the headstock.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I had one installed on Holly, wasn't a problem. Ricky, just don't take it to L&M!
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I had one installed on my L-5 ..No problems and it puts the guitar in much better playing position than going around the headstock...I agonized about putting a "hole" in my perfect instrument for weeks but it was all worthwhile...

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 19, 2009, 01:21:52 AM
It won't hurt to put in a button, Larrivee's web site tells you exactly where to put it.

+1
I just failed to bid on a guitar because someone had installed a strap button. Probably won't hurt the value or the guitar, but reduces the number of people willing to buy it, in the event you decide some day to sell. Personally, if I use a strap I find it more comfortable tied to the headstock. but that's just me.
I try to keep my stock guitars "stock", not modified.

I debated this issue with myself for quite a while before installing a button on my 000-50MT.   I really didn't want to drill into that beautiful guitar but attempts to tie a strap around the headstock were frustrtaing me.   Every spot I tried to tie the strap to seemed to interfere with my hand movements or ran across an open-gear tuner.   I finally just put in a strap button on the treble side of the heel  and never gave it another thought.  I used a black button so it is not very visible and I noticed that, for me, the guitar is a lot more balanced when the strap is in this location.   I'm not concerned with any loss of value if I ever decide to sell it.  I can't even conceive ot a situation where I would want to.

Tuffythepug

Quote from: tuffythepug on February 19, 2009, 10:04:28 AM
II'm not concerned with any loss of value if I ever decide to sell it.  I can't even conceive ot a situation where I would want to.

Tuffythepug

This is how I feel about Holly, the guitar. I never thought about how it would devalue it and don't think that it really should. I will be having one installed on my Forum III.

It won't hurt to put in a button, Larrivée's web site tells you exactly where to put it.

[/quote]

I agree.  I find it more comfortable to just tie off my strap beyond the nut at the headstock ... actually I have a Planet Waves 'quick release' acoustic guitar strap attachment ... which makes removing the strap easier ... for lazy players like myself.    :whistling:
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

If y'all getting the Forum III are not used to 12 fret neck joints you might want to wait for the strap-pin instalation. There is a definate difference in how your body relates to a 12 fret in comparison to the 14 fret. The neck is shorter at the same scale and you may find your whole fretting hand up and wrapped around the heel when you follow melody lines up the neck. If you are just cowboy chording, it might not matter, but I'd still wait because even cowboy chording starts to get tight as you capo. Just a suggestion if your not used to the wonder, joys, and LIMITATIONS of a 12 fretter

Button on the treble side is right in my way. Seeing that has stopped me from bidding or making offers on guitars before.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: canoe65 on February 19, 2009, 01:46:20 PMactually I have a Planet Waves 'quick release' acoustic guitar strap attachment ... which makes removing the strap easier ... for lazy players like myself.    :whistling:
me too. I have a couple of them. they're pretty slick.

Guys and fellow Forumites & family,

Sorry I have not been able to chime in - just barely skimmed through the responses.  I'll read them when I have slowed down in a day or two.

Extremely busy at work; a roller coaster ride of emotions as I dealt with 2 serious health issues in my community

and a close family friend passed on last Wednesday morning ---- so I'm on my way for a 12-hour road trip to Vancouver and spending the weekend there.

Driving through the night (11pm Mountain Time),

ricky

I put them in...no problem. I've got one on my ForOm and I'll put one on my F3.  I like to have a strap even if I'm sitting on the couch. I hate the balance when the strap is tied to the headstock...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: lyric_girl on February 19, 2009, 11:05:51 AM
This is how I feel about Holly, the guitar. I never thought about how it would devalue it and don't think that it really should. I will be having one installed on my Forum III.

I also don't believe it will devalue the guitar at all. Looks like there are some people who would pass on it if it were for sale but who cares? There are lots of potential buyers out there if you want to sell it...and I wouldn't let eliminating one potential buyer from the market (sometime in the future) prevent me from enjoying my guitar now.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: Dotneck on February 20, 2009, 07:20:47 AM
I also don't believe it will devalue the guitar at all. Looks like there are some people who would pass on it if it were for sale but who cares? There are lots of potential buyers out there if you want to sell it...and I wouldn't let eliminating one potential buyer from the market (sometime in the future) prevent me from enjoying my guitar now.

Very well said

I put one in my D05 but not my triple 0. I play my D05 a lot while standing and there's just no way a strap attached to the headstock allows full freedom with the left hand. IMO anyway.

Quote from: hadden on February 19, 2009, 02:54:10 PM
Button on the treble side is right in my way. Seeing that has stopped me from bidding or making offers on guitars before.

They are removable you know... :bgrin:  Are you saying that you'd pass up a great deal on a wonderful guitar because of a button that could be removed in 10 seconds ?

Not only are they removable, for about 30 bucks, a good luthier can make the fill the old hole with ebony, make it look like a knot in the wood, and match the neck's finish so it looks like it's been there forever. I doubt you would lose a serious buyer over it.  That's what I do when I buy a guitar with a strap button.  They tend to just get in the way for me and I have no use for them.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bluesman67 on February 20, 2009, 09:50:57 AM
Not only are they removable, for about 30 bucks, a good luthier can make the fill the old hole with ebony, make it look like a knot in the wood, and match the neck's finish so it looks like it's been there forever. I doubt you would lose a serious buyer over it.

and if you filled it with mahogany sawdust & glue it would just about disappear altogether.

I've seen responses to this same question on other forums and there has always been something that popped out that I haven't seen addressed here. Some luthier/techs recommend NEVER tieing to the headstock as this puts unreasonable strain on the neck. Jim Holler may be able to give something definitive on this.

:coffee
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)