Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strap Pin or Not?  (Read 4111 times)
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 05:23:09 PM »

I'm no luthier but I call BS on that one.  If it was true, the manufacturers would warn you or there would be a part of that warranty that says using a strap at the headstock will void your warranty.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »

Larrivee in the past has recommended tying to the headstock, but given instructions on how to safely put one into the heel of the neck, as in previous posts..

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 05:25:52 PM »

I agree. It's not hard on the guitar, merely harder to play the guitar.
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »

They are removable you know... bigrin  Are you saying that you'd pass up a great deal on a wonderful guitar because of a button that could be removed in 10 seconds ?

Don't want no hole in my git. Though those repair pics do look pretty good, so I guess it's not an issue.

When I played this morning I made a point of checking how my hand holds on up high there, and yes, the button would definately be in the way. I don't see it generally as a problem for someone's resale prospects however.

L-03 Italian Spruce
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 05:35:36 PM »

Don't want no hole in my git.

I understand your viewpoint.   In fact I do prefer tieing to the headstock with the planet waves quick release for most of my acoustics.   I just couldn't come up with a satisfactory way to do it with the slotted headstock on my 000-50.  Not enough room under the strings behind the nut and anywhere else interfered with the tuners.   The tuning pegs going straight back like they do presented a problem witht the string getting caught on them or rubbing against the peg.   I got tired of fighting that and put on the button.   I haven't found the strap button to be a hindrance to my playing but I can see how it would be a problem for someone else.  To each his own.   
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 05:43:13 PM »

They are removable you know... bigrin  Are you saying that you'd pass up a great deal on a wonderful guitar because of a button that could be removed in 10 seconds ?
yes, I actually did pass on a guitar with a strap button. it was through an ivoroid heel plate. Not just a matter of wood filler.
Like I said, I don't think it hurts the guitar and I don't think it directly hurts the value.  but it turns out that there are a few "quirky" buyers out there like myself who want their guitars to remain "stock" and not modified in any way.
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »

I have a Planet Waves strap that fastens around the neck and a couple of leather straps with strap buttons on the heel for two of my guitars. I have a D-35 and after 31 years, I am having Jim Holler put a strap button on tomorrow afternoon. I don't think it devalues the guitar but nothing I have is for sale and will be left to my kids after I am gone anyway so it's a moot point.

On the flipside, my parlor did not have an end pin or a strap button and I am not drilling any holes into it.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 11:09:44 PM »

I have a Planet Waves strap that fastens around the neck and a couple of leather straps with strap buttons on the heel for two of my guitars. I have a D-35 and after 31 years, I am having Jim Holler put a strap button on tomorrow afternoon. I don't think it devalues the guitar but nothing I have is for sale and will be left to my kids after I am gone anyway so it's a moot point.

On the flipside, my parlor did not have an end pin or a strap button and I am not drilling any holes into it.

It that standard for a parlor to have no end pin ?  I thought all models came with an end pin and were pre-drilled with a 1/2" hole for an end pin jack.
GeeNorm

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 12:36:58 AM »

My new, old stock, LV-10 arrived with no end pin.

Sort of a bummer since I have an LR Baggs iMix No-cut I want to install. I'm too much of a coward to drill the 1/2" hole, so I'm waiting until it is convenient to get it into a good shop for the install and a general setup check.

Norman

Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 05:58:46 AM »

My new, old stock, LV-10 arrived with no end pin.

Sort of a bummer since I have an LR Baggs iMix No-cut I want to install. I'm too much of a coward to drill the 1/2" hole, so I'm waiting until it is convenient to get it into a good shop for the install and a general setup check.

Norman

I picked up my OM-40 from a local shop today with a newly installed K&K pwm.  I'm very impressed and no batteries!!!  Only thing is, I have to figure out a way to control the volume.   My guess is, I would need a K&K external preamp?

As for the original post and question of mine in this thread -

I decided to forego the strap pin on the heel of the neck - it's still clean and bought me a Diddario Quick Release strap to go on the headstock.

I tried playing the git with it and it does not seem to bother me.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 12:19:11 PM »

Has anyone else found it difficult to play certain chords or measures, standing, using the strap attached to headstock method? I found that there were just things I could not play because I couldn't get a proper grip. With the guitar snugged to my body by a strap secured to the heel and end pin, I have no such troubles.     
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 12:25:47 PM »

Ricky, it doesn't have to be a K&K, LR Baggs Gigmaster is a nice little preamp...smaller than the K&K.

Duck, I've always been more comfortable playing when I'm sitting, no matter where the strap's attached standing.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 12:43:55 PM »

I find it difficult to play ANYTHING standing up! I'm clumsy and only have one leg that works correctly. This creates a combination where there is sure guitar injury if I try to play standing up!
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 01:40:56 PM »

Having started out in rock'n'roll bands, it always seemed proper to play standing. When I pay to see someone play, I'm actually a tad put-off if they sit through the entire show. I play standing even when no one's around.   
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 01:50:05 PM »

Duck, I actually worry about peolple thinking I'm just phoning it in when we play out, because we all sit down except the harp player. Unfortunately, for me, I play much more accurately when I'm sitting and my injuries prevent me from standing with any semblence of balance!
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 02:11:34 PM »

Duck, I actually worry about peolple thinking I'm just phoning it in when we play out, because we all sit down except the harp player. Unfortunately, for me, I play much more accurately when I'm sitting and my injuries prevent me from standing with any semblence of balance!

It's hard to guage or control what people think. I think I'd actually tell people that I'd like to stand if I could but I can't, maybe play a couple easy crowd pleasers while standing and ... get that other guy on his feet! ;)
roguegnome

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 02:28:29 PM »

Funny, I never thought of Leo Kottke, Pat Donohue, Adrian Legg, Kelly Joe Phelps, Jorma, Pierre Bensusan or Andre Segovia as just phoning it in because they sat down to play.
OK for piano players?

To err is dysfunctional; to forgive co-dependent
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 02:33:31 PM »

And thousands, nay millions of people might say, "Who?" Maybe they should try standing. 
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »

If a guitar player is doing what feels right and natural to play, I don't see why someone would be put off by that.   What puts my off is at when I see a show and .... well...it looks like all show .... musicans that look phony and not really connected to the performance or letting their instruments express their emotion.  I would rather wee John Lee Hooker (God Bless) than Kenny Wayne Sheppard, you know what I mean?  BTW, I like KWS on CD but I've seen his show twice and was dissapointed.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »

Ducktrapper, yes I do find that a strap tied to the headstock gets in my way sometimes.  I haven't figured out a way to resolve this except to use a strap button on the heel.

I like to play in a standing position when I can.   A chronic back condition makes it very painful to stand for more than 30 minutes so I usually end up sitting down to play.

This discussion reminds me of a concert I attended many years ago.   I managed to get front row seats in an amphitheater setting to see Little Feat.  I was a big fan and I was really pumped to see them live.
The opening act was someone whom I'd heard briefly on the radio a couple of times but knew nothing about.   We got detained and arrived after the opening act had already started.  We quietly found our seats directly in front of the hot-shot guitarist who was opening.  I was surprised to see him sitting while the rest of the group stood around in the normal fashion.   The kid was an incredible guitarist who played an electric guitar sitting on his lap like a lap steel.  You've probably guessed by now that it was Jeff Healey.  It took me a little while to figure out that he was blind and had to play this way due to his handicap and the style he had developed.  Towards the end of his set he jumped up and swung the guitar behind his neck and started dancing around the stage with the bass player and a rhythm player watching his every move to make sure he didn't hit a mic or tumble off the stage right into my lap.
They guided him back to his chair as he finished his song to a standing ovation. 
I guess the point of this little nostalgic detour is that you shouldn't make any assumptions about someone who is playing sitting down.   I saw B B King a few years back and he never got up once but he was still able to captivate an packed house.

Tuffythepug
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: