The sound of Quilted Sapele - your thoughts please?

Started by Zohn, February 17, 2009, 11:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi guys
I'm interested in a L-09 in Quiltes Sapele, but have no idea what the sound is like. I asked 2 dealers who stock them the question, but none of them responded - seems like the acoustics business is alive and well in the US. This particular model is fitted with a Red Sitka top. Would the sound be similar to an L-05?
Thanx.
Zohn
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

My semi-educated guess is that the guitars would sound very similar to a L-05.   I've asked people similar questions about the difference between regular mahogany and quilted mahogany..... and their responce was that they've too similar tonally, and the quilting is just for aesthetics.     I may be corrected on this by someone that has education greater than the "semi" level.

I've seen some of those quilted sapele guitars on some dealers sites, and they're absolutely beautiful.  shame no-one gets to see the back of your guitar while you're playing it.

Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

Quote from: KenHolden on February 17, 2009, 11:56:29 PM
shame no-one gets to see the back of your guitar while you're playing it.
Thanx for your response Ken - my instincts are similar to your views. As for the aesthetics - at least the beautiful part is right up against the player's heart....  :blush:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Zohn,

I've never been a fan of sapele or mahogany.  Nothing against them, I'm just sold on rosewood.

If I were to consider expanding my wood tone palete (sp?) - and it's sapele or mahogany,

in either or both - I'd go with quilted - all the way.

I have yet to play a bad sounding L - in any wood == that thought of quilted anything in L is so yummy - if I dwell on it - I feel GAS coming on.

But, my OM40 is supposed to keep GAS away for now.

Yeah... quilted all the way!  :+1:

ricky

OK just my 2 cents....AND I doubt someone like Zohn is going to learn anything new from me. :smile:

If you click on the Bourgeois website,Dana goes into detail about the differences in wood types.He claims that the difference between "normal" and something like "figured"(which is essentially of the quilted category)is not necessarily the same!

According to Dana(from what I remember reading)these types would exhibit the best characteristics.He includes Bear Claw(in tops) as one category.Personally,I haven't a clue if there is much difference,but if someone like Dana Bourgeois thinks one is superior to the other,who am I to question him?

As to "Hog" and Rosewood...I have three superb Rosewood gits(Zohn knows this)which are all totally different in sonic presentation....OM,and 2 Dreads....(actually I have two OM's and two Dreads).

One is a  Hog Om,which to me,is simply indispensible and has a fabulous way of seperating the overtones in the instrument.The Rosewood OM has it's own set of strengths(big time)but it is no match for the "Hog" OM in seperating overtones when the instrument is "fingerpicked"....Flatpicking is another story.

I've played two Sapele guitars when I was scoping out if I wanted a Larri(got a D-O3R)and found them to be similar to Hog,but a little more reverby and a bit brighter.Just a little,and this could easily be my inexperience,but I do know what good sound is.I hope! :winkin:

Best regards to all,
     Mark

As an aside, if a dealer didn't respond, I'd certainly look else where. That's not an encouraging sign.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on February 18, 2009, 05:39:28 PM
As an aside, if a dealer didn't respond, I'd certainly look else where. That's not an encouraging sign.

holly
Problem is, those are the only 2 dealers that I know of that have such guitars in stock. (one of them is a member of this forum)

I PM'd you.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

If you are looking at GA-Daves site, and that there quilted sapele L--I was a push away from calling him on that one; superb piece--oh man!  I have an all sapele OM (from Dave) and there is of course the low-end growl of an all "mahog" guitar, but...I have three mahog. guitars, and there is little difference in the sapele vs. true mahog.  and quilting is only going to bring a slightly different voice to the mix--like two tenor singers are going to sound slightly different. 
Add to that the spectacular quilting, and I cant see NOT buying it (if only my tax refund were larger!)

If you are talking about the one at Guitar Adoptions I would call and talk personally with Dave. That not only has the quilted Sapele it has a Canadian Red Sitka Spruce top.
Don't rely on email when a quick call will answer all your concerns.

Just my 10 cents.  Inflation, you know.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"