Valentine - OM40

Started by rpm60912, February 14, 2009, 06:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks Ricky.  You certainly know how to exceed expectations, and so does Larrivee.  Does the OM-40 differ only in appearance from other Larrivee rosewood OMs, or are there subtle dimentional differences which make the tone unique?

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Quote from: BenF on February 16, 2009, 02:08:46 PM
Seriously, that is really nice.  The top looks lovely for what is supposedly an 03 level of wood quality. 

What do you make of the satin finish, is this your first satin guitar?
Ben

Ben,  BTW... thanks for your email and I saw the new pics of serial number 108567 and the matching #78.   Yeah !!!  :+1:

As for the top of the OM40,  honestly,  I like it better than the top of my OO-09.  The grain in the OM40 is a whole lot tighter.   The lines in my OO-09 is fatter.

Satin finish?   I used to hate them; I thought it was a "cheap shot" of manufacturers to scrimp on cost.  But, I'm beginning to appreciate the spartan no-nonsense look.

Will I prefer "glossy" over "satin" if the price were the same?  ---- That's the million-dollar question.

My first satin?  Yes and no.    Yes, because this is 100% satin including the top.  My Taylor Fall Ltd 410-e Walnut was satin back & sides and top was glossy spruce.

Like I mentioned... I may have found my "working" bang-it-around guitar.... not that I would bang it around.

I'm hoping this will be the guitar I would use all the time - - - especially in my line of work.

Incidentally,  I also appreciate my OO-09 more too ---

I did a short listening test and a/b the two Larris ---

the OO is surprisingly just as loud, good projection, more complex and brighter sounding than the OM40.

ricky

Quote from: ncognito on February 16, 2009, 02:25:01 PM
Thanks Ricky.  You certainly know how to exceed expectations, and so does Larrivee.  Does the OM-40 differ only in appearance from other Larrivee rosewood OMs, or are there subtle dimentional differences which make the tone unique?

DAVE

I'm now tempted to take actual measurements and I think I will.   This is subjective, I thought the depth is just like my OO.

My receipt says "L&M OM40 Bluegrass Guitar"

L&M stands for Long & McQuade which is a music retail/rental chain in Canada. So, it may be an exclusive L&M limited run.... ala Twelfth Fret limited runs.

From the specs obvious to my eyes that makes it different from the stock OM-03R:

- enlarged soundhole --- to me that was it.  The guitar was sold right there.

- H-bone purfling & rosette (not a big fan of H-bone purfling but grew on me when we were specking out the FGIII - thanks Mr. Tuffy!)

- "Waverly style" (not Waverly brand) open tuners
(again, I'm not a big fan of this concept because it means a little more maintenance every 6mos-1yr lubricating & bars me from upgrading to 510 Gotohs?)

Other than that... it's all the diff I see.    The sound is still "tight" not as complex and not as bright as my OO.

Both Larris still have the original strings ("awful" to some ears) - I'm already happy.

The clerk threw in Light Elixirs... I was going to have a strap button installed ala Taylor style on the treble side of the butt of the neck attaching to the body. But, maybe on my next visit, Lord willing.

Pardon my terrible nomenclature (or lack of it) for guitar parts.

ricky

BTW... while the OM40 has been dubbed as the satin version of the OM60, it does not have the pyramid thingys on the bridge.

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on February 16, 2009, 04:28:13 PM
BTW... while the OM40 has been dubbed as the satin version of the OM60, it does not have the pyramid thingys on the bridge.

ricky

The OM-60 does not come with the pyramid bridge.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Ricky, that guitar is beautiful. I love the tuners and the traditional headstock, very sharp. The Rosewood looks like AAA grade, this is one special guitar.

If you think it sounds tight you could ship it to me and I'll play the snot out of it and return it when it sings like a bird.

If you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands.  Like I need another guitar.
Roger

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 16, 2009, 04:53:06 PM
The OM-60 does not come with the pyramid bridge.

Ooopsies... Thanks for the correction.

So, this OM40 may be a true satin version of the OM60 then.

This guitar will be snot-less for sure as I intend to keep it and get me a first-hand experience of a guitar "opening up."  :thumb

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on February 16, 2009, 05:00:15 PM
I intend to keep it and get me a first-hand experience of a guitar "opening up."  :thumb

ricky

Darn.   :crying:
Roger

Ricky, She's loverly. The grain on the back is AMAZING!

That being said, you might want to change out some strings. Any idea how long the OM or the OO were in the store before you bought them? Holly's strings were in bad shape, but she had been in the shop for many months. My SO, just out of the box a week ago, I could leave the strings, but doubt I will as I don't really like Cleartones. Just my six cents.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 16, 2009, 05:06:34 PM
Darn.   :crying:

Should I sell it, Ben F already has first dibs. He emailed me first.

Then, you.

We should all just live in the same city and swap guitars.  But then, that would be bad for the guitar business.  :rolleye:

ricky

Quote from: lyric_girl on February 16, 2009, 05:13:14 PM
Ricky, She's loverly. The grain on the back is AMAZING!

That being said, you might want to change out some strings. Any idea how long the OM or the OO were in the store before you bought them? Holly's strings were in bad shape, but she had been in the shop for many months. My SO, just out of the box a week ago, I could leave the strings, but doubt I will as I don't really like Cleartones. Just my six cents.

Thanks Lynda.  The OM was in the store as early as September 2008. I went around last December, saw it, didn't care for the open tuners and the regular price was still on it.  When they knocked off $175 --- I didn't want to take a chance for others to snag it.

The OO is a new old stock for sure.

I want to play the living daylights out of the strings until they literally bust... then I change strings.

Besides, as soon as there's funds for the K&K pwm, that's the time to change.

I was about to pull the trigger on the K&K for the OO, but the OM40 showed up - I prefer a new guitar over a new pickup anytime, wouldn't you?  :nana_guitar

Have I said that already earlier somewhere?

ricky

Ricky, that's some beauty. Many congratulations!

And, BTW, consider yourself hopeless! With the FGIII, is the pattern going to be a new Larri every two or three months?  :whistling:

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Wow - those bathroom shots are just too sexy.  Love the square headstock on the 40/50/60's and the open tuners.  :nice guitar:

Quote from: Broadus on February 16, 2009, 06:10:35 PMAnd, BTW, consider yourself hopeless! With the FGIII, is the pattern going to be a new Larri every two or three months?  :whistling:

Thanks Bill.

Wouldn't that be sweet? A new Larri every quarter? I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

But I know the One you and I and others here know, is way beyond compare!

ricky

My commitment to keep the OM40 got one step farther today.

I got a K&K pwm pick-up installed and it was "love at first pick up".

NOTE: During my recent trip to Vancouver, last Sunday, I test drove a OM-03 with the tag saying it's "mahogany" but I"m tempted to call Larrivee with the s/n

and verify because I can't tell the difference between sapele and SA Mahogany.

It does not matter if this OM-03 was made of cardboard, every time I played this git, all I heard was "Take me home, Honey!!!"  :+1:

CONCLUSION:  Ahem...  I am now a big fan of satin or matte finish guitars... specifically the Larrivee 03 series variety.  :+1: :+1: :nice guitar:

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on February 25, 2009, 10:38:44 PM

CONCLUSION:  Ahem...  I am now a big fan of satin or matte finish guitars... specifically the Larrivee 03 series variety.  :+1: :+1: :nice guitar:

ricky

Conclusion: You're suffering from a very bad, never ending case of GAS!  :roll :roll :roll
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Ricky, Ricky, Ricky.

Whatever shall we do with you, brother? You went and got exposed without having your vaccinations in order!
But your comments on the OM-03 Mahogany make me more eager to hear my LS-03, IS/Mahogany.

Do not ask yourself, "how many tonewoods are in the forrest?" Ask instead, "how many disposable dollars are in the bank?"

Besides, you know those guitars are fickle. If I had been there they might have called my name instead.  :winkin:  Which is why I am skirting guitar stores these days.

At least you have the sense to look at the 03 series, a lesson I'm just learning. And I'm glad to hear the OM-40 is a traveling companion. It'll be in Vancouver?   BTW: My LSV-11 is getting a road trip to Danny's tommorrow and an open mic outing next Tuesday.

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

Since there is so much OM-40 love going on...I thought I'd point out that there is an OM-50 in our local craigslist for $1250. The guy said its also on flea-bay but would like to sell off ebay...(no affiliation here just passing it along...).

Also, another difference between the OM-40/50/60 is they have the narrower nut if I remember correctly...the OM-03/05/10 have the 1.75".
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: rpm60912 on February 25, 2009, 10:38:44 PM
My commitment to keep the OM40 got one step farther today.

I got a K&K pwm pick-up installed and it was "love at first pick up".

NOTE: During my recent trip to Vancouver, last Sunday, I test drove a OM-03 with the tag saying it's "mahogany" but I"m tempted to call Larrivee with the s/n

and verify because I can't tell the difference between sapele and SA Mahogany.

It does not matter if this OM-03 was made of cardboard, every time I played this git, all I heard was "Take me home, Honey!!!"  :+1:

ricky
:nice guitar:  I like this one ricky. True Mahogany sounds better to me. I have played several sapele gits and they are not the same to me. But I own several Mahogany guitars. A 1966, a 1970 and a 1974. Maybe sapele will sound as good when it ages, but even the new Mahogany gits sound better than sapele to me. When you play a hog git for awhile you will be able to pick up the differences in RW and hog right away. Actually I was a little surprised to see you stay with RW in all three of your Larrivee choices. Since you have a 00-09RW and a F-III RW on order I would have thought you ight want another tonewood.
                I'll have maple, and MH/IS in Larrivee soon and I have a nice Martin Om-21 in RW/Sitka. As well as Gibsons and others. But the 2 Larris and the RW Martin cover the big three tonewoods (traditional) and I like the variety. RW is nice but the overtones can make for a loss of crispness and clarity when you are running through lots of chord changes. A song like "A mighty fortress is our God" played on a git has a chord change on almost every word. RW can be a bit mushy there, and a nice Mahogany strummer would be much clearer.
                 You can however adjust a RW to be "crisper and brighter by trying different strings. EJ-16's and 17's clear things up on many models and tonewoods, especially RW.
                                                Hopefully we can compare our F-III's in Vancouver.       Danny

Quote from: dependan on February 26, 2009, 09:37:38 PM
   :nice guitar:  I like this one ricky. True Mahogany sounds better to me. I have played several sapele gits and they are not the same to me. But I own several Mahogany guitars. A 1966, a 1970 and a 1974. Maybe sapele will sound as good when it ages, but even the new Mahogany gits sound better than sapele to me. When you play a hog git for awhile you will be able to pick up the differences in RW and hog right away. Actually I was a little surprised to see you stay with RW in all three of your Larrivee choices. Since you have a 00-09RW and a F-III RW on order I would have thought you ight want another tonewood.
                I'll have maple, and MH/IS in Larrivee soon and I have a nice Martin Om-21 in RW/Sitka. As well as Gibsons and others. But the 2 Larris and the RW Martin cover the big three tonewoods (traditional) and I like the variety. RW is nice but the overtones can make for a loss of crispness and clarity when you are running through lots of chord changes. A song like "A mighty fortress is our God" played on a git has a chord change on almost every word. RW can be a bit mushy there, and a nice Mahogany strummer would be much clearer.
                 You can however adjust a RW to be "crisper and brighter by trying different strings. EJ-16's and 17's clear things up on many models and tonewoods, especially RW.
                                                Hopefully we can compare our F-III's in Vancouver.       Danny

Danny, I hope to have a OM hog in my future. If I do, then I must sell my OM-40.

I meant to ask you if Collings (since it's made in your city), are prices there better?

I'm enjoying my guitar hobby. Thanks for encouraging me to give my OO more time and I'm glad I did. Everytime I play it, I can't believe the sound that's coming out of that little guitar.

Really looking forward to our FG IIIs.

ricky