Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few questions about a couple of guitars  (Read 688 times)
psp

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:55:36 PM »

What do you think? K&K western mini on a parlor? Anyone with sound samples out there?

Also, Im considering replacing the bone saddle. Its worn a bit. I was going to bring it to my local shop but if these are something i can do myself with out much cost I would prefer that. Is it the type of thing you just pop in a new one? Excuse my lack of knowledge on this....I just play the guitar LOL Can anyone please direct me to some information on replacing the saddle on my larrivee p01. Is it a standard size?

Also on another guitar I have the string pins need replacing. DO specialty pins really improve the tone? Ive also realized the holes for the pins have "stretched" or widened over time causing the pins to want to slide out when i string the guitar. I compensate by pressing down on them while i bring the string to tension. Is there wider pins out there? Is this common how do you fix this with our replacing the entire bridge

Thank you kindly

Cheers
PSP
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 01:20:50 AM »

I don't have a P/U on my Parlor but several here do and praise the K&K. It will be my choice if I ever put one in my OM.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:08:08 PM »

I have installed 3 K&K pure Westerns in 3 of my Larrivees. None on a parlor but dont let that stop you. Very easy installation, especially on a Larrivee because no drilling or reaming is involved if you have a Larrivee endpin in that parlor.
bridge pins can make a difference, but maybe not a lot.
You can get a good bone saddle from Bob Colosi with good instructions and he sells a variety of bridge pins, as well. Saddles will need some minor sanding is all.You might want to slot the bridge for the strings. I think this has some advantage over slotted pins, but not a big deal.
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 03:23:47 PM »

Queequeg is correct in his remarks about the K & K.  I've never replaced the bridge pins in any guitar I've ever owned (and there have been plenty) but I know that sometimes it may be necessary if the holes are worn and your stock pins are too loose.
Re:  replacing the saddle.   I don't know if Larrivee still sells bone saddles.  In the past I've gotten them from Larivee and also Bob Colosi.   I know the Colosi saddles come with pretty detailed instructions and you have a fairly decent chance of talking to him directly if you call with a question.  The main thing on the saddles is to GO SLOW.  You will need to sand it to fit but take off a little at a time and check for fit often to ensure that you don't take off too much and ruin it.  Voice of experience here.
Good Luck.   I'm sure you would be happy with the K & K but it's not a particularly easy install.

Tuffythepug
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:32:28 PM »

Also on another guitar I have the string pins need replacing. DO specialty pins really improve the tone? Ive also realized the holes for the pins have "stretched" or widened over time causing the pins to want to slide out when i string the guitar. I compensate by pressing down on them while i bring the string to tension. Is there wider pins out there? Is this common how do you fix this with our replacing the entire bridge

Thank you kindly

Cheers
PSP

I think you are fine. It's a PIA to have ones that are tight, trust me. With the exception of one or two pins, I have to do exaclty what you described when restringing. I mean, how old is the guitar? Seems like it would take a really long time to have that as an issue.

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 02:46:46 AM »

My take on this is that the balls of the strings should be tight under the bridge and that is what holds them in place when up to tension, and what helps transfer vibrations. The pins are primarily decorative.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
psp

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 02:14:42 PM »

Thanks for the comments...After consideration I will likely get my shop install the parts..They guarantee their work so nothing really to worry about about if a problem pops up. The fact that i would get a pick up installed plus a new bone saddle at the same time would save on labor costs. I will let you know what i think.
cheers
psp

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 04:14:58 AM »

Can you believe the guitar tech I used to go to is now retired (Kamloops, BC Canada). Ive been in contact with another gentleman that lives about 200km away and he was a big believer in the LR Baggs transducer. We had a nice chat over woods, saddles, etc... I may have to wait on this one. But very tempted to still go with the K&k mini just based on the reviews of it here at the forum alone. hmmmm...worst case i mess it up and it destroy the pick up...and loose the $100 bucks right? It's not like im cutting a hole in the guitar with a ginsu knife.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: