Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D, L, And Om Bodies / Playing Styles  (Read 1357 times)
12barBill

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2004, 01:50:06 PM »

I think this was mentioned on the forum before, but I can't find it.

On the Larrivee website under FAQ they state :

What playing style are the D, L, and OM body styles designed for?

While any style can be played on any body design, by design, the style associations are :
L = fingerstyle playing
D = strumming
OM = versatility between styles

I would think the L would be more of a "versatility" instrument, (with its size), and the OM would be more toward fingerstyle.

I realize these are generalities, but find it odd that they would say "by design" the style associations are :

So, "by design" (bracing or something), is there something about the OM that would make it stand up to aggressive strumming and flatpicking better than the L, (and playing up the neck) ?

Does the Larrivee OM body perform better with strumming and flatpicking than the L body ?  

mnewton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 02:08:01 PM »

Here is your answer from Matthew Larrivee:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/forums/index....T&f=2&t=103&hl=

The L is more versatile.

dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 02:30:49 PM »

Let me pick a couple nits here, (that's what I do for a living). When he uses the term "by design" it does not appear that he means that is what they were designed for. He is using "design" to mean body style, as is evident from the previous use of the word in the preceding phrase, "While any style can be played on any body design."

Then he doesn't say that these designs are "best" for these styles, he says that these are the associations, in other words, these are how other people view them.

At least that is how I interpret the comments, especially in view of Matthew's clarifications.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
tim farney

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 03:17:32 PM »

I don't care what the Larrivee web site says, the answer to this question is the same one that applies to so many questions when it comes to guitars -- "It depends."

Sure, you can make generalizations, and sometimes they apply, but then someday you'll get ahold of little a double-O with a particularly stiff top and a few years of really good break-in time, it'll be a great strummer, and all your pre-conceived notions will go the way of the meaningless, if endless, Braz/Ad vs. Indian/Sitka arguments.

I have a rosewood spruce Grand Concert that is, even to my own surprise, every bit as good a stummer as my all-mahogany L. It requires a different attack and delivers a different dynamic, but I love to strum that little guitar and it really delivers.

You gotta use your ears for these things. And if you buy guitars sound unheard, you need to accept that you may buy and sell a few before you get it right.

Tim
jwieties
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 03:57:37 PM »

Generalizations can be a dangerous thing as it can really limit you from what you allow yourself to experience.  At the same time, many people who are new to guitars or new to larrivee benefit greatly from some loose guideliness.  This is especially true if (since some do not have any Larrivee dealers close by) a guitar is being ordered unseen or unplayed.  

Personally, I will only allow myself to own a single guitar at a time.  That is one of the reasons my L-09 is the perefect guitar for me.  I truly feel it is the most versatile guitar that I have played.  Fingerstyle blues to classical to modern folk rock, this guitar does it all.  I intend to keep it for a long time.  Several years from now I will likely get a second guitar that will be more specialized.  Hopefully an all mohagany 12 fret 00  slot head... no I'm not anxious to get my second guitar ;)
-josh

Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 04:39:35 PM »

Don't forget the OM-50/60's and SD-50/60's, and the OOO-x'swith the wider neck (definitely a fingerstyle guitar), etc. or the OO-x's with their 12fret necks.

It gets confusing. Play what you're comfortable with, play-wise and soundwise.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 01:03:00 AM »

It gets confusing. Play what you're comfortable with, play-wise and soundwise.
Randy,

From the stable you've assembled (more than a tinge of jealousy evident here  B) ) I would have to assume that you are one of the most comfortable guy around. Any more and you could pass for Perry Como!  ;)  

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 02:03:04 AM »

I think I want to collect some cheerleaders for my next project!

:)  

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 02:35:20 AM »

I think I want to collect some cheerleaders for my next project!

:)
Send me a guitar or two and I'll see if I can send a couple your way!  :P  

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan