So, the "Clown" is voted AG's best Fingerstyle Guitarist 2008

Started by Zohn, February 13, 2009, 02:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2009, 10:37:32 AM
But does anybody think he doesn't have the chops?

If anyone does I challenge them to grab one of TE's instructional DVD's and give it a go. Theres no "gimmicks" there.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: gluve1 on February 13, 2009, 05:11:45 PM
I would have to say it's down right impossible to pick the best. Personal taste and style effect opinion to much. I haven't seen the article yet but from what I've seen here there's no classical players listed and the top people in that field are amazing but generally unknown. How about Ana Vidovic. A great woman player unfortunately great women players are often overlooked. No jazz players ether. I'm not a big country or bluegrass fan but some great player there to. Dividing the vote into style would be helpful. But even then you couldn't pick the best.

The categories are too arbitrary. I don't see the difference ultimately between Classical and Fingerstyle, or Flamenco for that matter; jazz guys play fingerstyle when they do those chords melodies with leads in the treble. My goodness, there are so many monster players out there who aren't even a blip on the radar screen.   
L-03 Italian Spruce

Well, I've given a few of his songs a go and even if you forego the "gimmicks" there are some pretty solid melodies in them. I also like his use of dynamics; he's not all "go go go". Listen to the song "Questions" off of Only. The way the guitar gets quiet in the middle yet still has a wonderfully-expressive vibrato just evokes images in my mind's eye/ear of a strangled cry brought about while trying to push through with life while one's heart is breaking. 
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2009, 08:15:00 AM
clown?
:?
I'm a loyal TE fan - this thread's title was tongue-in-cheek - the original thread which Gluve1 refers to, can be seen at:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=24138.0
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I caught the humor ZOHN I was just jumping in with you. But I don't think several people saw or remembered the old thread. As fans of T.E. that probably why we remember it. :thumb

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2009, 10:08:49 AM
but I was in shop class, way back when the earth was cooling

I remember being taught that when I was in middle school. The earth was going to gradually get colder and colder, a sort of "refridgerator effect). Wow, how times have changed! I'm not knocking current theories (Gore's film on the subject seemed convincing but I'm not a scientist), just commenting on who quickly scientific theories change over time.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Quote from: strawintogold on February 13, 2009, 11:09:43 AM
Wow, and they say women never forget....
Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2009, 11:33:08 AM
No, they say "elephants never forget". Don't you remember?
Well some women are like.... er a I mean some elephants are like.. no that's not right either.. anyway they both are alike.

Why hasn't bearsville jumped in yet?  He's the one who made the "clown" comment in the first place. 

Quote from: Novalis on February 15, 2009, 09:05:20 PM
I remember being taught that when I was in middle school. The earth was going to gradually get colder and colder, a sort of "refridgerator effect). Wow, how times have changed! I'm not knocking current theories (Gore's film on the subject seemed convincing but I'm not a scientist), just commenting on who quickly scientific theories change over time.
Well, I meant that I am so old I was around way back when the earth was solidifying at the beginning of time, you know when the earth was cooling. I wasn' t making any reference to greenhouse effects, carbon emissions, man-made, imaginary, or otherwise.
Your honor, strike the comment. I retract the statement.

Quote from: the creature on February 16, 2009, 01:37:37 PM
Why hasn't bearsville jumped in yet?  He's the one who made the "clown" comment in the first place. 

Creature--

Maybe Bearsville has enough class and intelligence to let the issue ride.  Tommy Emmanuel is a spectacular player; no one will dispute that.  What's wrong with saying he's a clown?  He's a funny guy.  Most folks would take it as a complement.  It's not easy to make people laugh so consistently.  The guy has many talents.  All of us here know what's necessary (genes, dedication, time...) to play at that level, but that's not the only prerequisite for everyone to think he's the definitive guitarist in the world since time began.  We can't help but respect the man, but we all don't have to like him as much as you do.  He is human, he has flaws just like the rest of us.  I'm happy for you that you like T E so much, but it might be wise to ease up a bit trying to force the rest of us to agree with you.

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Well, this is the first time I've seen a dead horse beaten with guitars. I don't like 80 percent of the players mentioned here. I don't like Bluegrass. I'm pretty sure most here wouldn't care for the music I do like, I mean, Metallica was mentioned as a torture method and I didn't get my panties in a twist even though i like them.

Good gravy.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

bearsville0 figured this was Zohn's party to celebrate TE's award and he had no business or interest in crashing it. The first post after the OP by bearsville0 is a friendly nod and a wink to Zohn in recognition of the clown reference.

In the other thread, Zohn openly solicited opinions on TE and bearsville0 obliged. 'Nuff said.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: strawintogold on February 16, 2009, 02:18:22 PM
Well, this is the first time I've seen a dead horse beaten with guitars. I don't like 80 percent of the players mentioned here. I don't like Bluegrass. I'm pretty sure most here wouldn't care for the music I do like, I mean, Metallica was mentioned as a torture method and I didn't get my panties in a twist even though i like them.

Good gravy.

holly

Holly--

I want to hear the Dry Branch Fire Squad do an album of Metallica covers; maybe then you'll change you're tune.  This is my feeble attempt at obtuse humour.  It is not a deragatory comment by any stretch of the imagination.  To each his or her own.  I actually like some Metallica ie" Enter Sandman".  

DAVE
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

It is not a derogatory comment by any stretch of the imagination.

Hey maybe we should start  *'ing  that statement at the bottom of every opinion. I like some Metallica, moslty i just dig that the band has rocked hard for such a long time. It' s like Sabbath, what I like I really like and the rest is 'eh'.

here's a random totally OT article. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4952646.stm  I don't know if it's close, but if you pick AM in DADGAD tuning it's freakin SCARY, dude.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.