Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: writing lyrics....  (Read 455 times)
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2009, 07:25:08 PM »

I have no talent for this at all.  I like to think I'm pretty good at playing the guitar and that I have a bit of talent for writing music but words escape me.  Are there any forums out there with lyricists/poets?  Are there any on this forum?

I'm actually a pretty good singer and I would really love to start playing original songs but every attempt at writing lyrics comes out sounding stupid or cliché or both....

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 07:45:07 PM »

I usually have more lyrics than tunes because I am never at a loss for words. I write with a partner now and would certainly consider trying to write lyrics with/for you Denis. I think you've heard a couple samples of my work.     
Craigb156

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 07:52:17 PM »

Having written about 500 stupid, cliche ridden songs and about seven or eight good ones, just write. Write them all. Write the terrible ones and write them as awful as you can. Write songs about your cats. Play a country or blues riff and just sing pure crap. The good ones usually start just the same as the bad ones and then something happens and they change. Write them all. Try to gently finish every one you can. Save good bits for later. Lyric writing is like practicing chords, eventually it becomes somewhat natural. You may not have any original use dor that 'd' chord, but using it means you'll be able to to recognize where to put it when the time comes. Same thing with words.
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 08:30:03 PM »

Find yourself a writing partner. If you are not so much a word guy find someone who is. No point in banging your head against the wall if lyrics are not an area of strength.

It's an ego fallacy to say we'd all be good at everything if we just tried harder. I know from hearing your excellent guitar playing you want your songs to be better than just OK.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: