I can't believe I'm thinking this, but I prefer my Eastman over my OM-03R

Started by Broadus, February 08, 2009, 02:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maybe it's a passing fancy, but I really do prefer the sound of my Eastman AC710S over my OM-03R. It sounds fuller and cleaner and has more bottom end. The gloss is beautiful, the woods are very nice, the slot head is growing on me. There's a little nick in the fret board under the B string next to the nut, but I didn't see it till after I had had it for a couple of days. Other than that, the finish is great and inside the body is clean. I prefer the feel of Larrivee's satin neck, but the sound of the Eastman is really something.

Maybe I'll get over it. I feel like I'm betraying Larrivee or something. Please don't tell.  :crying:

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

If'n it'll ease your guilty conscience, I've $100 to offer to take that evil OM-03R off your hands.  :winkin:
Gregg
'05 Fender Highway 1 Strat
'07 Fender Lite Ash Tele
'70s Crown Gold Top LP copy
'04 Larrivee D-03 Mahogany
'05 Martin D-15 Rosewood
Washburn 5257 1/2

Looks like a lovely guitar. When you say cleaner do you mean more fundamental, less overtoney? I've never played an Eastman. You've got me curious.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: Makarovii on February 08, 2009, 02:21:31 PM
If'n it'll ease your guilty conscience, I've $100 to offer to take that evil OM-03R off your hands.  :winkin:

I should have know that was coming! I may get over it.

Bill

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

Quote from: hadden on February 08, 2009, 02:25:47 PM
Looks like a lovely guitar. When you say cleaner do you mean more fundamental, less overtoney? I've never played an Eastman. You've got me curious.

It's hard to express, and my "tone vocabulary" probably leaves a lot to be desired. Less muddled, maybe. I don't know.

The satin finish on the OM-03R will certainly hold up better than the Eastman's nitrocellulose gloss finish. It seems pretty delicate.

Bill

It looks very nice. It's not that hard for me to believe, because I do prefer my 0M-21 Martin to any Larri OM's I've played. But I have played some I do like, just not as much as the OM-21.
    I have heard the Eastman is making some decent gits. These are made in Asia aren't they? But they are solid tone woods?   I think they are like the earlier Blueridge gits which sound so much like nice gibbys.
                            Forgive me if I'm wrong on my data,   Danny

Quote from: dependan on February 08, 2009, 03:08:43 PM
But they are solid tone woods?   I think they are like the earlier Blueridge gits which sound so much like nice gibbys.

Yes they are made in China. Not sure about that particular model but many Eastmans (Eastmen) are made of solid wood. They've been making violins, cellos and basses for a pretty long time and are pretty highly regarded for being of chinese origin. They make some pretty slick archtop guitars too. I've heard lots of good about them so I'm not surprised Broadus likes his.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Solid Engelmann spruce top and sold rosewood b/s. Nitro finish, wood inlay rosette, 5-ply wood binding, Gotoh tuners. Pretty spiffy, if you ask me. They are getting a lot of positive reviews. The nitro finish is good for sound but not very durable. List price of mine was $1350, but it was a closeout (the AC710 is now labeled AC712) and nicely discounted.

Bill