Tour of Larrivee Vancouver >>> IS March 16, 2009 <<<

Started by Randy_R, February 04, 2009, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Safricanplayer on March 17, 2009, 11:27:16 PM
Ricky,

You're killing me man. I love it, a Forum III is all three wood combinations!!!! Listen man, you're a verified GAS aholic and I only wish I'd been able to share your excitement on the trip. Sounds like these Forum III's are going to be very sweet guitars, and I can't wait for my daughters IS/RW and my all Hog to arrive.

Thanks to the rest of the gang for posting some great shots and commentary about the trip. I really wish I could have been there!!

Now the wait gets REALLY serious....

~ Ray ~

Ray (and everyone else who may be reading this),

I'm taking the midnight flight from Vancouver to Edmonton. I was told the airplane is not full, so the person at the check-in and security allowed me to carry my new Forum Git to the cabin.

I'm hoping that the flight crew would let me take it in - as they have the final say. We'll see. I'm hopeful - I guess not very many people want to fly to Edmonton at this time of the night.

Folks, when I heard Danny's hog/IS, I thought to myself, I hope it's just a matter of time before I get to have a hog git - a short time I hope - that's wishful thinking.

I should thank Tad (tadol) for "breaking in" my guitar FG III LSV-03R. He played it for a good 20 minutes or so while he played along with the guys who were jamming at Mike's Monday evening. Tad's wife kept prompting him to give me my git back, but I was totally cool with it. In fact, I wish it had been passed around.  But no need, by the time Tad handed my guitar back to me, I couldn't believe it was the same guitar (I guess the factory installed ClearTones just needed a good hearty playing).

As Jim Holler said, there's ample bass in this gits, rosewood, hog or MT.

This creamy Italian Spruce and the "small-ish" dimensions make this one sweet guitar.

As much as I want to have all three versions of the FG III, I'm afraid I've come to the point where I need to adopt the standing agreement of most married Forum members with their spouse - the (in)famous 1 git IN - 1 git OUT principle.

If my Taylor and OO had any emotions or feelings, I imagine they would be very nervous and are not liking what I'm contemplating.

Question is: Am I prepared to take a huge loss given that the used guitar market has gone soft in favor of buyers.

If you're still reading at this point, here's some  :donut :coffee :donut and if you missed ordering/purchasing the FG III - I highly recommend you consider buying the extra replicas while still available - because, you know what they say...

"When they're all gone, they're gone!"

ricky

When we got to the gate at Southwest Airlines I looked up at the big board and a man dressed like a A Southwest Employee started talking to me... I'll cut to the chase here, HE was the PILOT on our flite. He offered to take my guitar on board and store it in the overhead for me and then I could just come on board later.
               So that's what happened (gotta love Texas airlines). I played it a bit on the plane and in the airport, people really were attracted to it and made comments on it's nice appearance etc.
                At the end of the flite in Austin, when I pulled it out of the overhead a booking agent and I were talking a bit.
(SXSW is in full swing in Austin right now) She asked something about my style etc. And I said my stage name was "3 chins" :winkin: We said a bit more and my wife added a little.
                                         Anyway what a fun way to end the Tour of Larrivee 3/16/09

let's do it again (#IV :whistling:)

danny

Sounds like those who flew home with their new guitars had pretty good luck with the airlines.  Dependan were there any problems getting through US customs with it?  I wondered if they might try to slap duties or taxes on it.

Quote from: dazdarren on March 18, 2009, 01:04:36 AM
Sounds like those who flew home with their new guitars had pretty good luck with the airlines.  Dependan were there any problems getting through US customs with it?  I wondered if they might try to slap duties or taxes on it.
Not for us at all. I think less than one minute of Q and A's. And we had 2 guitar cases in the car with us. But remember we paid for them to a New York Company. So why should there be any trouble anyway? What I mean is it really is a moot point, but I know sometimes officials don't look at things the way I do.
               I admit I was anxious a little. But it was like sailing on a calm sea the entire trip.
good night, danny

Forum  III Vancouver Trip       PART I

Hey guys.   I just walked in about 30 minutes ago and woke up the wife to give her a kiss and tell here that I and my new "love" made it back safely.  It's past midnite and I've been on planes and hanging out in airports most of the day.   This was a real whirlwind trip.   Pardon me if I seem to ramble incoherently since I haven't really slept in 2 days.    I'm winding down fast at this point but I did want to just say a few things while they are fresh in my mind.

First, I want to say a huge thank you for all the local Vancouver forum members who went out of their way to make us all feel at home and shuttled us around everywhere and just made the trip so great because of their efforts.    Dermot, Mike, Johnny, I can't thank you guys enough for the way you made me feel so welcome in your city.

Second, the folks at the Larrivee facility could not have been nicer to all of us.  The first person I met was John Larrivee and then I met Jim Holler.  And he promptly gave me my forum III hat.   Thanks Jim for everything you've done to help make this possible.  I introduced myself to Jeremy who was going to give us the tour later and he shared with me the fact that this order for these guitars was fun for all the builders because they all knew how special this was.   Production work can get tedious and sometimes even boring but they all were thrilled to be working on this project.  Many thanks also, to John Jr. for taking on this task and seeing it through to it's spectacular finish.   I don't want to forget Edwin who worked at a feverish pace to get our guitars finished for those who wanted to take them home.   Thoroughly professional and more than accomodating to us as he weaved and bobbed his way through the crowd of forumites as he went from one station to the next and ended up stringing the guitars and putting them in the case.   Jeremy gave us a wonderful tour and at times it reminded me of trying to herd a bunch of cats.  We were not the easiest bunch to keep together.  Excitement was like electricity in the air.... you could just feel everywhere. 

Now that the "thank yous" have been offered;   on with some other random thoughts...

Danny was kind enough to pick me up at the airport and drove me to my hotel.  He came up to the room and made a few calls and within 10 minutes we were off to meet some of the rest of the group for dinner.    Walked into the Kettle of Fish and finally got to meet the "legendary" lyric-girl  (you know I love ya girl) Tad, his lovely wife Nancy, Danny's wife Bonnie, and Dermot who must be one of the nicest most interesting people you could ever meet.   Ricky and Beth came a little later and I was really happy to finally meet him then too.  Plans for the donut run were hastily made and we broke up the party and went home for a little rest before the big day.   
6:15 am Dermot picked me up and we went to pick up Danny and Tad and it was off to Tim Hortons where we (Danny) proceeded to take over the place and create general havoc before we left with boxes of dounts, sweet rolls, and bagels and headed over to Larrivee with the grub.  Stopped on the way for an excellent cappucino at one of Dermot's hot spots and and then off to deliver the food.
Then on to the Elbow room for breakfast and some great conversation and more of Dermots stories.
Yes, the velcro bumber must be told but it must be told by Dermot.  Nobody else could do it justice.

Then, back to Larrivee for the meet and greet.   I got to meet Mike and Johnny, two fellow lefties right  away.     Then Matt and Dave and another Mike (Killick).   John told us that we could go upstairs and see our guitars if we wanted to....   Duh....    off we went.  The photos that others have posted are a real good representation of what that was like.  At first we were able to see the guitars pretty much as they were when John provided the last ones a week ago.   No tuners, end pins, etc.   but tantalizingly close.
Edwin said that he was sure he would be able to get many of them finished by the end of the day.   Excitement was starting to build at that point and he began to drill out the end pin holes, and ream the holes in the headstock for the tuners.    It was at this point that I, very slyly, moved my guitar up in the lineup a few places.    I'm not proud of it but I figured someone would rat me out anyway so I'm owning up to it.    As it turned out I had moved it up ahead of Danny's.   I think you can guess how that went over when he realized that.   At this point I began to notice someone who I had not met yet and it turned out to be ST.  I am pleased to say the he is, aside from being a genuinely nice man and very interesting to talk to, an incredibly talented guitar player.   Johnny called me into the set-up room and offered to let me play his L-19 lefty he had brought.   Thanks Johnny, that was a treat.    looks lilke new and it's actually pretty old.   Then we had the tour.   others have described it so I won't go into any more details about it.   Oh, yeah, crap I almost forgot lunch was in there at some point too and it was very, very, good.  I got to spend some more time with Johnny and Mike my fellow lefties. 
Back to the shop to check on the progress of the guitars.  Surprise, surprise, Danny didn't go to lunch with us he stayed behind to get the sandwiches for the Larrivee people.   Now, I'm not one to tell stories on people normally,  :bgrin:   But I can only ask you to picture Danny taking over the set-up bench and beggining to string up his own guitar and the shouting WOW with the first strum.   Uh-oh.... something is wrong.   the guitar can't be tuned right...   What the....   OK..  I'm not going to finish that part of the story, but I believe Danny should  :bgrin:   I believe he may have been in a hurry.
Then,,,,,,,,,....................I got my guitar.    I took it right off the rack when Edwin finished it and played it a bit....  ok.. a lot..   eveyone wanted to hear the difference between all hog and the other flavors.  Then I passed it to Johhny and Mike to try out.   At this point there was nothing but smiles everywhere you looked.   

I'm too tired to finish my story so I'm going to sign off as I have to go work in a few short hours.
I'll finish my thoughts a little later including my impressions of the Forum III.   Until then..... Goodnight all.....  it's been quite an experience these past two days.

4am Mountain Time less than half hour arriving safely in Edmonton.

I was allowed to carry my git into cabin & flight attendants showed me a niceplace to store it.

Really tired & sleepy.

Glad everyone got home safely.

ricky

Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one whose guitar went into baggage. I was a total nervous wreck, but she is fine. Just wanted to post an update that as of about 11:15 EST last night, when I was far too awake as my body was still on PST, my Forum III became known as Bella which is Italian for beautiful. I will post pics tonight.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Not to worry - my LSV-11 went up and down in the baggage hold, and fondled by TSA each way ( hard to blame them ). It got back here safe and sound.

But only Danny could get the pilot to hand carry his guitar on board -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: tadol on March 18, 2009, 10:42:13 AM
Not to worry - my LSV-11 went up and down in the baggage hold, and fondled by TSA each way ( hard to blame them ). It got back here safe and sound.

But only Danny could get the pilot to hand carry his guitar on board -

Tad

Tad,

Danny has a lot of charm that he must have used on the pilot!  :humour:

Glad to hear that you guys and your guitar got home in one piece.

OK     PART II............... 

I'm just posting some pics and comments here.    Still drained  from the trip.  I would be remiiss if I did not thank Vancouver Southpaw for opening up his home for the jam.   Everyone had a great time as I think you can see from the pics.  The food that we ordered for delivery was terrific and the evening could not have been more enjoyable.  Thanks again Mike.

I know everyone wants to see the pics and hear about the sound.    Well, by now you've seen a lot of pics.   Here are a few more.   But first a note on the sound........  All I can say is you are going to be very, very surprised at how this git sounds.   It is a big guitar in a small body and it kicks major butt in the volume dept.   I'm not good at describing tone but I can tell you that when I got this guiitar back to my hotel room with no noise around I played it very softly to avoid upsetting the neighbors....   That hotel room was just full of that guitar....  it filled the room and the notes hung in the air and sounded almost like an organ.  I was humbled to see how this little guitar thinks its a big guy.   I know people say that Mahogany has a quick decay.... whatever.....   my all hog would beg to differ.   perhaps a different attack could bring out lots more sound textures buried inside.   I can only tell  you I am amazed at this thing.   Sorry I can't be more descriptive for some of you.  That's the best I can do.   
Here's some more pics if you haven't had enough.

Someone has to explain what Danny's tuning issue was.  C'mon!!!!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

still more.....    tired yet ?      Ben....    I'll leave it to Danny to explain the tuning thing.   Let's just say that he was in a hurry and ....   well,..... you know......   stuff happens.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lynn,

Couldn't you pick a better picture of me?  :tongue:

Lynda.............sorry, that's the best I have  :roll

few more...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tad, Danny, Ricky, Dermot, Tuffy,

My pictures at the dinner seemed to have gotten zapped somehow..actually quite a few of my pics are blank. The only pics I have of the dinner are one of Tuffy and one with Ricky and Beth. If any of you could send me your pics, I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on including them in my scrap book.

Thanks so much,

Lynda

I've got a few I'll send your way.     I have real nice one of you and Dermot.

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 18, 2009, 12:25:59 PM
I've got a few I'll send your way.     I have real nice one of you and Dermot.

Many thanks