Tour of Larrivee Vancouver >>> IS March 16, 2009 <<<

Started by Randy_R, February 04, 2009, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How about at least just a time and location for the initial meet up on the morning of the 16th?  Will it be at the Larrivee shop?
1991 Larrivee lefty C19        Forum 3 #68A LS03 IS/RW HB lefty
Form 3 #52  LS03 all mahogany lefty
Yamaha FG450                    1993 Les Paul Standard lefty
Yamaha FG335                    2012 American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Classical (1974?)      2011 RS-2 w/P-90's
Takamine 12 string

Quote from: Randy_R on February 13, 2009, 03:50:03 PM
news from Jim Holler:

I just spoke to John Jr Larrivee. He will be emailing some info to me about hotels and a place for us to grab some lunch. I will be staying with him and will be at the Larrivee shop in the morning when he heads there. I think a plan to gather at 10 Am for a meet and greet. see some of the forum guitars and then grab lunch. After lunch go on the tour of the shop.     

This was the only post about March 16th as far as a "plan"
    The donut detail will deliver early unless we are told not to, it seems to make good sense to provide them first thing for the employees.
                 The other details are still in a sketch form. After the tour all have expressed a desire to have a Jam together. Vancouver Southpaw's is one likely destination. Just stay tuned and anyone that has some solid info or helpful suggestions needs to just post it here and we can all discuss it.
                                                                                  Danny

I know I posted this once already but I cannot find it any place on the forum. :? So I may have just thought I posted it or dreamed I posted it. Anyway here is the plan for the day of March 16th

10 AM Informal meeting at the Larrivee shop. Meet John Jr and each other.
             Get your Trinity Guitars Forum III hat. This alone makes the trip worth it!
Noon Lunch Dutch treat at a place John Jr. is picking.
1 pm or so return to the Shop for a tour. I expect this to be all afternoon.
  Get our guitars!!!!  :nice guitar:  I am hoping still no official word.
6PM regroup for dinner and a jam session. Here is where we need the help of the locals. Can someone step up and pick a spot for this. Clearly we are gong to want to linger in the night.   :beer  :guitar    Don't forget your tuners , capos, picks and outher necessary tools for the jam. For me that is the cheat sheets so i can remember the words.

Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

One week today! I assume I'm not the only one counting?  :roll
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on March 09, 2009, 07:13:21 AM
I know I posted this once already but I cannot find it any place on the forum. :? So I may have just thought I posted it or dreamed I posted it. Anyway here is the plan for the day of March 16th

6PM regroup for dinner and a jam session. Here is where we need the help of the locals. Can someone step up and pick a spot for this. Clearly we are gong to want to linger in the night.   :beer  :guitar    Don't forget your tuners , capos, picks and other necessary tools for the jam. For me that is the cheat sheets so i can remember the words.

Jim Holler

YES and thank you Jim. Somehow I just feel a whole lot better right now :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar :guitar

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on March 09, 2009, 07:13:21 AM

6PM regroup for dinner and a jam session. Here is where we need the help of the locals. Can someone step up and pick a spot for this. Clearly we are gong to want to linger in the night.   :beer  :guitar    Don't forget your tuners , capos, picks and outher necessary tools for the jam. For me that is the cheat sheets so i can remember the words.

Jim Holler

You did post something similiar before, Jim.

And I have now twice posted an invitation to have the jam at my place, and also mentioned it in a private email to you.

I "stepped up" quite some time ago. This is getting kind of weird.

Mike

I have no problem meeting at your place - Could you PM me your address, so we can google it and see where we are going? I hope we are going to be 20 to 30 strong, maybe picking up a few players from the factory, and maybe a few friends of friends. I assume we'll do this Monday night hoping we'll be playing new gits?

We will also need directions to a local warehouse-style store where we can stock up supplies - sodas/beers/chips/hors-duerves.

Am I forgetting anything?

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Yikes - if we get to 30 people plus instruments, that could be a little much for my modest living room!

Might as well post address here - 2865 Grant St, Vancouver.

Mike

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on March 09, 2009, 02:27:58 PM

You did post something similiar before, Jim.

And I have now twice posted an invitation to have the jam at my place, and also mentioned it in a private email to you.

I "stepped up" quite some time ago. This is getting kind of weird.

Mike

Mike
I think that the jam at your place is pretty much a given as far as I'm concerned.  Some folks may be still under the impression that a local establishment could be convinced to let us use their place for an "open mic' type arrangement but I don't think it's practical at this point.  If you can handle this bunch at your home then I'm all for just declaring this to be the spot.  Jim mentioned going somewhere for dinner as a group.    
Jim mentioned going somewhere for dinner as a group.  How does everyone feel about that suggestion ?
I am willing to go along with the general consensus on ths.  As I see it we have a couple of options;

A.  Go somewhere around 6:00pm for dinner and discussion of the day's events and then going to Mike's for a Jam

or

B:  Just go to Mikes around 6:00 pm and take snack stuff, or pizza, or whatever with us.

If there are other ideas we need to get them aired an decided upon soon.   I'm sure that Mike would like to have some confirmation as to what the group's plan will be so he can be prepared for such a large group to invade his home.  :bgrin:

Mike, I appreciate your willingness to have us at your home.  It's very generous of you.   What do you think about the two choices I outlined above. ?  If a group of 20 to 30 would be a little too much for your place then we need to pick some alternative. 

Worst case scenario:   We all squeeze into my hotel room  :roll

In the midst of all this planning and joy I'm sad I won't be there!

Booked the hotel at OSU for next weekend.  So I'm out. 

Someone play Leo Kottke's "The Fisherman" for me at the jam, okay?   :cheers
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 09, 2009, 03:13:13 PM
Mike
I think that the jam at your place is pretty much a given as far as I'm concerned.  Some folks may be still under the impression that a local establishment could be convinced to let us use their place for an "open mic' type arrangement but I don't think it's practical at this point.  If you can handle this bunch at your home then I'm all for just declaring this to be the spot.  Jim mentioned going somewhere for dinner as a group.    
Jim mentioned going somewhere for dinner as a group.  How does everyone feel about that suggestion ?
I am willing to go along with the general consensus on ths.  As I see it we have a couple of options;

A.  Go somewhere around 6:00pm for dinner and discussion of the day's events and then going to Mike's for a Jam

or

B:  Just go to Mikes around 6:00 pm and take snack stuff, or pizza, or whatever with us.

If there are other ideas we need to get them aired an decided upon soon.   I'm sure that Mike would like to have some confirmation as to what the group's plan will be so he can be prepared for such a large group to invade his home.  :bgrin:

Mike, I appreciate your willingness to have us at your home.  It's very generous of you.   What do you think about the two choices I outlined above. ?  If a group of 20 to 30 would be a little too much for your place then we need to pick some alternative. 

Worst case scenario:   We all squeeze into my hotel room  :roll

Thanks, Lynn. How big is your hotel room?!

I'm OK with either of the options you presented above involving my place.

30 people would be a stretch for my living room - it would be impossible to get that many people into a circle of any sort - but not too much for the house overall.  However, 30 seems like an unlikely maximum number of players or even total attendees given the current tour list.

It could be pretty cozy! In a good way, hopefully...

Mike

Hey Mike,

Sounds good to me... Mike's jam....

If we don't do Chinese at lunch, hows about Chongquing for dinner?

;-)

d.

Mike,

Thanks so much for offering your place.  I'd have to look up Grant street - but you did mention in the vicinity of 1st Av and Renfrew? I'm familiar with the area.

I sure hope to connect with my fellow Vancouverites (dermot & you) - though I live in Edmonton now, I left my heart in  Vancouver.

Okay... enough reminiscing or I'll weep  :crying: it already warmed up here today, just -25 Celsius, it was -27 earlier and above freezing in VanCity.  :+1:

As for Tuffy's suggestion for dinner... I'm open for anything but going somewhere for din-din would likely get us done and at your place to jam around 9-ish?

Are you working early the next day?  That would make for a late night.

Are we all in a party mood --- I wonder? as in are we okay for a late night?   My flight back is not until late Tuesday night.

So, I'm pretty cool with just about anything the group desires to do.

Yipee !!!  I'm going to Disneyland (Larrivee Factory) and in my opinion, the most beautiful city in the whole world - Vancouver, BC.  :nana_guitar :nanadance

ricky

How about pizza for dinner? This way, we all get to the jam at a decent hour and can order whenever. Just my thoughts.

In response to various posts....

Yes, I'm near 1st and Renfrew.

I like Dermot's suggestion of Szechuan Chonqing for dinner, but am quite flexible. They're incredibly efficient, so it wouldn't drag on for hours.

It seems likely there'll be a bit of down time after the tour - can't see it lasting more than 2-3 hours. My place could be open from after the tour onwards.

One thing: you do not want to leave guitars in a vehicle in Vancouver if they are in any way visible. This is common sense, and would apply in any big city. If the group ends up going out for dinner, people will be welcome to stash their instruments at my place in advance. And Dermot, if you're bringing a few right-handed instruments down in the morning you're welcome to stop by my place and drop 'em off.

No worries here about starting or finishing times - we can go as late as we want.

And a note to Jim (if you're reading these)....IF our guitars are actually going to be ready, how about bringing bone saddles for the Canadian drop-shippers. I'm sure Larrivee could find some bench space for you...just dreaming out loud. The hats are nice but I'd rather have the saddle!

Mike

It is so good to see all this communication at last... I mean more joining in. Mike I'll hook up with you well before Monday and maybe we could see about renting some folding chairs and just do some logistical planning. If we do have 30 we may need to find a warehouse (hmmm maybe Larrivee's)
                           This will all work out, we got this far, so the rest should be downhill. :guitar
                                                                                     Danny

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on March 09, 2009, 06:12:59 PMAnd a note to Jim (if you're reading these)....IF our guitars are actually going to be ready, how about bringing bone saddles for the Canadian drop-shippers. I'm sure Larrivee could find some bench space for you...just dreaming out loud. The hats are nice but I'd rather have the saddle!

Mike

If Jim H is able to do that for us north of the border, that would be so sweet - even if we get our local luthiers or techys to install the gift bone saddle upgrades on our own. But then, if he does it for some, other Canadian FG III owners will have to be sent one; that may be logistically difficult for Jim H - though it's possible nonetheless.  :thumb

I myself am curious enough to have a 'listen test' between tusq vs. bone.

As for dinner arrangements, I think the majority would be flexible - take-out pizza or Chongquing.

Good to know there's flexibility too with going late into the night.

ricky

Its getting close to the time for those taking long weekends to start travelling...

So have fun everybody. I wish I could be there with you.

Let Jim Holler, John Larriveee (and Jean if there) and all the employees know how much we appreciate them.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Can I just make one point about dinner? I think everybody who is going to be there needs to be consulted on where/how/what? For instance, if you guys were ordering Asian then I would be out. Then again, I'm only one person out of how many? Just speaking out loud. It's the full moon tonight and my day has been hell so far. Hopefully, it will get better, but I'm not expecting it to.

Just thinking out loud.

Hey Ricky- good idea about the comparison of saddle material. I always put a bone one on, reading & hearing that in comparison tests, the bone is tonally better. Hard to tell. Never switched them back & forth. Please let me know what you think. Jim's putting a bone nut on mine , so if the bone does sound better, which I think it should, I'll just have him do the saddle also. I'll ask him to send the Tusq one along with the git, something I always forget to ask my luthier to do: Save the Tusq for me !
Also, does anyone think the Tusq bridge pins are worth the $ ? Do they make a noticible difference ?
Have fun on the trip !
Thanks. :thumb
Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true