Tour of Larrivee Vancouver >>> IS March 16, 2009 <<<

Started by Randy_R, February 04, 2009, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: tadol on March 03, 2009, 10:54:07 AM
Second on the hotel/restaurant info - I'm there for the guitar, wife is going for the vacation, so I am waiting for her to decide where she wants to stay - I'm hoping she'll book something soon.

Tad
Tad let me know when you book a hotel because we will try and stay where you are on Monday for easy link up.

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on March 03, 2009, 02:11:23 PM

Absolutely. Which was why I first mentioned the Pink Pearl as a suggestion which could be relayed to John. I think we all want him focused as much as possible on making our guitars, and less distracted by other....distractions.   

Mike  :cheers
Thanks for helping Mike, I didn't know if y'all had seen the other post.

OK, first to clarify, I haven't followed this thread at all and haven't taken the time to read all the posts, but heard that there might be a jam  :guitar  Is there a definite schedule yet?  If I were to come and meet all you guys and gals (the main reason for going), then I would be coming over in the morning on the ferry from Vancouver Island.  Realistically, I don't think I could make it downtown until about noon or so (connecting ferries and buses).  I would probably have to leave around 5pm to catch the ferry back to Vancouver Island and then the last ferry to Denman Island (unless one of you kind souls would let me crash on a floor  :wink:) Since I won't be picking up a guitar, I could bring either my Eichelbaum or Martin (that's sitting in customs in Vancouver as we speak).  It would be a long day just to go on the tour and meet all of you, but I've been on this board for quite a while now and would like the chance to meet some of you.  With just buying a new guitar, I would really be pushing it to rent a room for the night on top of the travel expenses.  This morning has been the first time I've thought of it and just wanted to throw this out and find out the details.

Is anyone bringing a guitar or 2 with them.  I'd love the chance to play a SD-50 or 000-50.  Might be a good way for people to try different models

John 
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Quote from: Johnny M on March 04, 2009, 02:09:21 PM

Is anyone bringing a guitar or 2 with them.  I'd love the chance to play a SD-50 or 000-50.  Might be a good way for people to try different models

John 
John,  I have a cool guitar being held for me at Larrivee for the visit. An LV03, no pick up, in silver oak. They agreed to keep it there for me until after the trip. So that will be available for us to jam on. Larrivee will ship it to my  studio after we leave. I will ask my daughter Megan if I can take the guitar we built together as well.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

OK, first to clarify, I haven't followed this thread at all and haven't taken the time to read all the posts, but heard that there might be a jam  :guitar  Is there a definite schedule yet? 
John 

John (and everyone):

I've offered to host a jam at my place in East Van near Renfrew and 1st Avenue on Monday night. There was also talk of doing it in a hotel lounge or meeting room of some sort, but with time running somewhat short I think it's time to formalize the offer, and express my preference for a home environment as well (especially if it's my own heh heh).

If 15 or 20 of us end up showing up it will be cozy, but I trust you'll all have bathed reasonably recently.

Jamming rules: check your ego at the door, be supportive and everyone gets to participate. Simple enough?

(Ego is not a problem in my case since I'm a semi-intermediate player in front of non-musicians and a star-struck neophyte in front of real guitarists. FYI, saxophone is my first instrument, and I may be tempted to pull one out at some point.)

Time will be TBA but probably early evening onwards ie 7 pm-ish, though that's quite flexible....there could be a mad rush over after the tour if our guitars are ready.

I'll give out my address at the tour.

Cheers, Mike

John 

Johnny;

i have a pair of 12 fret D's you can try, one in sitka/mahog, and one in sitka/irw.. but both are Martin's... i was bringing them to Mike's jam (unless the new guitars are ready)

Ta,

d.

Mike, thanks for stepping up. I think it is time that we all discuss the schedule.
Jim do you have info. on the tour time? Also a few of us will be around Friday, Sat, and Sun. My wife an I will be there on Thurs. and will link up with Dermot at about noon or so.
    So any other Ideas for the days before?

I will be visiting friends in Vancouver for part of our time. And I know my wife wants to site see a bit.
                               I think Sunday afternoon is a good time to try and plan a "git"together or other times as well.
This thread does have some other Ideas in it. If I can find time, or if someone else wants to we could dig out the suggestions and list them.
                          So post some Ideas folks.
                                                                          Danny

I won't be flying in until Sunday early evening so I won't be able to indulge in any of the festivities you may be planning for the weekend.  Monday though, I would really like to get together with all who managed to make the trip and you local guys and do the jam thing.  Mike, I'd love to take you up on the offer of hosting a jam at your place.  I'd really like to try out a couple of your guitars.  I don't expect that I will be able to take my forum III home with me but it would be so cool if that worked out.  If the get-together ends up happening at some local watering hole or hotel that's ok too.   Informal living room jams are the best I think.   Don't worry, I'm leaving my ego at home where it belongs.   I'm almost embarassed to let you guys see just how inept I really am but,  hey,  we will be among friends.
I can't wait to meet you all and, of course, to see the forum III's in person.

Also... a word of caution to those who will be meeting Danny earlier in the weekend.   Be very careful. The guy will worm his way into your heart before you have a chance to defend yourself.   :bgrin:

tuffythepug

In my opinion, some must do / must see places in the Greater Vancouver Area:

Granville Island - closes at 5-6pm; fresh market setting, by the inlet, very colorful place

Grouse Grind - for those looking for gruelling physical challenge; 2.9 Km of hiking up the Grouse Mountain - take Gondola lift down - budget half-day.

Commercial Street - culturally rich area; lots of shops & interesting places to eat; featuring "Belgian Fries" - was rated one of Vancouver's best.

Shopping for the ladies - West 4th Avenue.

Stanley Park

Queen Elizabeth Park

Skytrain Ride - end-to-end including Sea Bus to the North Shore - check out Lonsdale Quay.

Capilano Bridge - but pricey; another suspension bridge is Lynn Valley Canyon (not to be confused with the other more famous "Lynn" here - as in a certain T the P)

or maybe it was named after him?

Bubble Tea at Dragon Ball  (this drink is a cultural experience).

China Town.

We'll run out of time before we run out of things / placed to do / see.

ricky

Beth & I fly in Friday morning and drive to Portland - to do our favorite Canadian past-time --- "cross-border shopping".  Yipee...

Gotta check out guitar shops along the way of course - anyone know where I can get K&K PWM along the way for dirt cheap? ( I need 2 or 3 ).

Anyways, then likely back to Vancouver sometime Saturday.   Chillin' Sunday.

ricky

Important (Friendly) Reminder:

Sorry, if I come across like a parent reminding everyone.

Check with your cell phone provider what roaming charges are - you may want to get a 1-time package to cover you while in Vancouver.

I had to purchase a "Florida" and "Seattle" bundle when I visited there - to spare me of hefty charges.

ricky

I'm open Saturday all day (unless Ricky has other plans) and Sunday afternoon onwards. As for my cell phone, won't have to worry about that because I will sit in Starbucks and use the WiFi with my new iPod Touch to email the husband. Paid a ton of roaming charges when I was in Boston last summer. Lesson learned!  :crying:

Let me know if folks want to get together to do the tourist thing or not. I am ok on my own, but would really love to spend some time with you guys. Many thanks,

Lynda
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Just wanted to pass along for others who may be interested. Got an amazing deal off of Hotwire for Coast Plaza Hotel which is also where Tuffy is staying. See Lynn, you started a trend.  :roll
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: lyric_girl on March 04, 2009, 08:59:21 PM
Just wanted to pass along for others who may be interested. Got an amazing deal off of Hotwire for Coast Plaza Hotel which is also where Tuffy is staying. See Lynn, you started a trend.  :roll

Ha,  never been a trendsetter before.   Sounds like a lot of responsibility   :bgrin:

If it is possible, pics of the jam and a few audio recordings would be great to see and hear for those not on the trip. And great memories for those that are!
Thx,
Al

Quote from: ARK on March 04, 2009, 11:08:40 PM
If it is possible, pics of the jam and a few audio recordings would be great to see and hear for those not on the trip. And great memories for those that are!
Thx,
Al

Al
I'm sure that there will be plenty of pictures taken of the whole trip.  As far as audio, I will be taking my portable H2 digital recorder to capture magic moments at the jam.  If someone was able to bring a camcorder we could have the best of both worlds.  I don't have one though. Perhaps someone else could bring one along.   Watch for the cd "Forum III band live at Southpaw's"  sometime in April  :roll

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 05, 2009, 12:47:21 AM
Al
I'm sure that there will be plenty of pictures taken of the whole trip.  As far as audio, I will be taking my portable H2 digital recorder to capture magic moments at the jam.  If someone was able to bring a camcorder we could have the best of both worlds.  I don't have one though. Perhaps someone else could bring one along.   Watch for the cd "Forum III band live at Southpaw's"  sometime in April  :roll
Lynn I'm glad you are bringing your digital recorder. I'd like to try and do one song to put up somewhere, so I can say I've done it.
                It would be great if I could play it on my own F-III, but who knows.

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 05, 2009, 12:47:21 AM
Al
 Watch for the cd "Forum III band live at Southpaw's"  sometime in April  :roll

Great CD title -- I'll be looking for it!  And a video clip of jamming FIIIs would be a great addition to the Larrivee website!!
Al

So...    Do we have a final count or updated list of folks attending. I want to make sure I bring enough Forum III hats for everone who will be there that has ordered a guitar.
Thanks Jim
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

Jim
This list is current as of today...

update
              This is who we think is going as of 3/05/09 please update or correct only on this thread, thanks

1. Jim H   Trinity Guitars  (PROBABLY ALREADY HAS A HAT)    :bgrin:
2. Danny  dependan
3. Ricky    rpm60912    (ALREAY HAS A HAT)
4  dermot and Eva    *d. has offered to help folks in Vancouver
5. John   Johnny37
6. Lynda   lyricgirl
7. Lynn   Tuffy the pug
8. Tad    Tadol                               *Plus our three wives (Tad, ricky and me) but not for the tour
9. Jordan  Jagidas
10. Mike   Vancouver Southpaw
11. Mike's local guitarist friend   
12. Mark  Larrivee4me
13. Michael   mrkillick
14. Matt    Photomat           *Matt has offered hospitality in Lynnwood Wa. just north of Seattle and a Drive up Monday AM.
15. Norm    prof_stack        *is unlikely, (but we're hoping anyway)
16. Darren     dazdarren              Darren is conflicted ;-)
17. and 18. Two Guests of Matt,(Photomat) are also coming DaveG and K20C
*Joseph     Bluesman67 is checking into coming   (doubtful at this point)

(possibly a surprise visit from Jean)   (HE MIGHT LIKE A HAT TOO)     :roll

Jim, I hope this helps.   Danny started this list and has been updating it all along.

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on March 06, 2009, 07:34:35 AM
So...    Do we have a final count or updated list of folks attending. I want to make sure I bring enough Forum III hats for everyone who will be there that has ordered a guitar.
Thanks Jim
Thanks Tuffy.

Jim, here is a link to a thread that updates and that Tuffy copied from.
                      http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=25641.0
                                     "Vancouver tour list of attendee's"

Also we are wondering about the schedule of the tour day. I think we need an update from you if you know anything at all. We are e-mailing and trying to hodge podge some things together and that may be the best we can all hope for, but we could use "any" clearly scheduled information , if any is available. If not we'll make it work.
               After all most of us are itinerant poets, panhandlers, buskers, PHD's and some of us can dance (not me). So we'll be sure to have lot's of fun is the point.
                                                       Danny