Pages: 1 ... 14 [15] 16 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tour of Larrivee Vancouver >>> IS March 16, 2009 <<<  (Read 82731 times)
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2009, 07:17:45 PM »

To the Vancouverites, just curious, but where is the Entertainment district?

North Granville Street, downtown side of the Granville Bridge, about a block from the Howe Street hotels, 15 min walk for Tuffy, three block walk for Tad

d.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2009, 11:16:51 PM »

From Jim Holler:

John Jr. will be finding a place for lunch. We will each be responsible for paying for our own lunch.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: March 03, 2009, 01:26:29 AM »

Breaking News...

I've been looking around for reasonable accommodation rates.   I realize some have already booked their hotels.    Here's what I found:

Howard Johnson Hotel  ( this is an old hotel;  refurbished in the last 5-7 years I guess?  )   located on Kingsway & 12th Ave   ( shouldn't be too far from the Factory).

$59 CDN / night + tax(es)   and   lounge access free for us on Monday the 16th evening - if at least 30 persons

(but I may be able to negotiate this down).

To my Vancouver friends & fellow Forumites --- what do you think of this hotel & rate (dermot - you know a lot about local hotels & rates right?) ???

Thanks,

ricky
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: March 03, 2009, 01:32:31 AM »

Just from the address, it seems pretty far away from downtown...
Traffic could be pretty bad depending on the time of the day...

but the price can't be beat

Jeffrey

dermot

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: March 03, 2009, 01:49:21 AM »

12th & Kingsway?

to the north and east is a few artist live/work lofts, and small gallery's & studio's and beyond that a somewhat seedy area, but not too bad.
-but-
two blocks the south and west is a pile of resturants, and small shops on Main street, a funky cool area, second hand clothes, antiques, etc etc...

fairly fast run down Main, and turn right on Powell to get to the Larrivee workshop, would not think it any faster than Howe street tho, maybe faster than Denman.

No access to the seawall / ocean / downtown / park etc etc if you don't have a car (transit system kinda sucks here)

End of day if you are just in for the day, have a car and the whole agenda is Larrivee centric... why not?

If you are in for a few days and want to injest a bit of Vancouver (you don't have to inhale to get the vibe) it would not be my first choice... the Coast plaza is pretty cool, and Tuffy got it for  only a few bucks more.. and you haev the ocean, park, seawall, downtown right in the palm of your hand...

d.
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: March 03, 2009, 01:53:42 AM »

The HoJo at Kingsway and 12th has a bar downstairs called the Biltmore Cabaret that has rock bands most nights.  Not sure how that impacts the rooms as far as noise levels go. It's a bit away from the downtown, but very close to Main Street  around 12th Ave. which has lots of amenities. It's also no further from the factory than the hotels in the west end ie the Coast Plaza.

Curious about the "lounge access," does that mean they'd turn it over to us exclusively? And would their furniture be guitar-playing friendly ie chairs without arms and such...

Mike
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: March 03, 2009, 02:02:28 AM »

Ah, I see Dermot and I were both answering at almost the same time.

And to Jim to pass on to John L. Jr., to transfer over the lunch thread going on in the parallel "The Wait"  thread, there's an excellent Chinese place near Larrivee called the Pink Pearl which is a Vancouver institution and which could easily accomodate our group of 15-20 people.

Vancouver probably has the most Chinese restaurants per capita outside Beijing. I generally regard that as a good thing.

Mike
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: March 03, 2009, 02:10:31 AM »

i would second Pink Pearl in a heart beat.. great idea Mike...

and i had blanked the Biltmore out of my mind completly..... the 3am drunk dispenser.... i lived a few blocks west of there (old victorian house on 10th near Manitobia) for a while... i love the area, but it's not for everyone, and as my daughter got older i moved up to the North Shore.... better schools up here, i still miss the area tho.

d.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #288 on: March 03, 2009, 03:31:56 AM »

Dermot and Vancouver Southpaw

The Pink Pearl sounds great.  I don't know about the rest of the group but I love Chinese food and your recommendation is good enough for me.   

Tuffythepug
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: March 03, 2009, 05:17:54 AM »

If you have an extra lunch spot free Schzewan Chong King on Commerical drive & 12th is world class... a bit further from the Larrivee workshop tho...

There's alot of the real deal in the subarb of Richmond, pickled chicken feet and all.... i'm one of the few forigners who go in them... i lived in Shanghai for a few years and have my landed imigrant papers for the PRC... and speak some Mandrin still - but Chong King is very good "round eye's" dining, and the Pink Pearl is a great place to hang, very cool vibe, not killer great food, but a great experince, always fun and an easy walk from Larrivee. i go there with friends for Dim Sum, i go to Chong King for biz lunch, and head out to the ditch (slang for Richmond as it's below sea level) for the real deal....

The publisher of Fretboard Journal calls Chong King the best Chinese resturant in the world... gotta admit  the Tan Tan noodle soup is hard to beat....  veg too.

You'll love it here!

d.
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2009, 05:25:30 AM »

My wife and I stayed at the Howard Johnson in 2001.  Affordable and comfortable.

The entertainment that summer was to sit in the bar with open doors to the street and enjoy the action.  It was so much fun the police came every 15 minutes to check on it.  At that time there were a fair number of XXX shops but efforts were already underway to clean up the filth and move it out.  Perhaps that has been done by now.

Play it daily for best results.
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: March 03, 2009, 05:41:37 AM »

My wife and I stayed at the Howard Johnson in 2001.  Affordable and comfortable.

The entertainment that summer was to sit in the bar with open doors to the street and enjoy the action.  It was so much fun the police came every 15 minutes to check on it.  At that time there were a fair number of XXX shops but efforts were already underway to clean up the filth and move it out.  Perhaps that has been done by now.

diffrent HoJ0.... i think you are refering to the one just off Granville downtown, and it's not much better, maybe worse. the HoJo RPM is looking at is the ol Biltmore   at 12 & Kingsway

The block and half between Granville and Howe is a pretty large step strangely....  a good friend has condo across the street from the HoJo you were at... sitting on his roof top patio and looking down on al that is kinda sureal.. last summer i was up as his place and watched some one try to steal my truck down on Granvile street.. cal the poilce and they got there in seconds (while i was still on the phone), would be robber ran off... just another night on Granville

And a block away on Howe you would not really know any of this....

good fun!

d.
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: March 03, 2009, 06:05:47 AM »

If you have an extra lunch spot free Schzewan Chong King on Commerical drive & 12th is world class... a bit further from the Larrivee workshop tho...

The publisher of Fretboard Journal calls Chong King the best Chinese resturant in the world... gotta admit  the Tan Tan noodle soup is hard to beat....  veg too.

You'll love it here!

d.

Amazing....this place is my absolute favourite Szechuan Chinese place too...yes, the tan tan noodle, the ginger beef, the lettuce wraps and on and on...uh, where's the phone....they do delivery, right?!

And how wonderful to hear they've received such an accolade from a respected culinary journal.

Mike

Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: March 03, 2009, 06:23:17 AM »

Oh, and having thus enthusiastically taken my turn to second Dermot's recommendation, I should mention that Szechuan Chonqing had also occurred to me as a suggestion for lunch. I chose to nominate the Pink Pearl because it's much closer to Larrivee, and somewhat less on the spicy side though that's avoidable at SC as well - the PP seems more likely to appeal to just about everyone. However, SC is really not far at all and would be easily accessible with the number of drivers we'll have on hand if we all wanna take a walk on the wild side (do, do do, do do...)

Whew. Need a break from contemplating these important decisions.

Mike
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #294 on: March 03, 2009, 06:45:20 AM »

I never would have imagined that I'd have to travel to Canada to get the best Chinese / Szechuan food.    I'm looking forward to every aspect of this trip including seeing the factory, seeing my guitar, exploring your fine city, playing with new friends and eating good food. Thanks for all the suggestions.

rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: March 03, 2009, 08:45:51 AM »

thanks Mike & d. for your lunch suggestions. Looking forward to PP & Schezuan place.

when we're in town, my family likes the Shabu-sen 2nd floor on Granville & W14th Av.

Great Tepanyaki place & generous portions of salmon & tuna sashimi for the adventurous

tastes / craving for Korean & Japanese food.  Great for supper too all-u-can-eat.

I guess HOJO wasn't "breaking news" material huh? Miss those breaking news moments

when every spec or info was gold - always a step closer to turning a dream into reality.

NOTE: pardon the format - hard to type on iPhone.

ricky
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: March 03, 2009, 01:05:59 PM »

From Jim Holler:

John Jr. will be finding a place for lunch. We will each be responsible for paying for our own lunch.
                I'm appreciative of all the joining in and recommendations, but if I read this right it says that "John Jr." is finding a place for lunch. I just wanted to point that out. We need all the hotel and restaurant etc. information that we can get.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: March 03, 2009, 04:54:07 PM »

Second on the hotel/restaurant info - I'm there for the guitar, wife is going for the vacation, so I am waiting for her to decide where she wants to stay - I'm hoping she'll book something soon.

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: March 03, 2009, 08:11:23 PM »

I'm appreciative of all the joining in and recommendations, but if I read this right it says that "John Jr." is finding a place for lunch. I just wanted to point that out. We need all the hotel and restaurant etc. information that we can get.

Absolutely. Which was why I first mentioned the Pink Pearl as a suggestion which could be relayed to John. I think we all want him focused as much as possible on making our guitars, and less distracted by other....distractions.   

Mike 
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: March 03, 2009, 09:23:39 PM »

I didn't know Howard Johnsons was still in business....I have not seen one in decades...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Pages: 1 ... 14 [15] 16 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: