Pages: 1 ... 13 [14] 15 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tour of Larrivee Vancouver >>> IS March 16, 2009 <<<  (Read 82747 times)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: February 28, 2009, 06:54:43 PM »

Well, all us Gran Pa's have ''sometimers'',  sometimes we remember and others.... let's see what is the topic we are on here

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #261 on: February 28, 2009, 07:04:08 PM »

I believe I already offered you mine in our private correspondence. Huh?
I was
Mike

Mike
You have indeed and I will be pleased to take you up on your kind offer.  very generous of you and Dermot to make your instruments available to us visitors.      I was just joking with the "hint, hint" line in my previous post.    I really do appreciate the offer.
I hope I get the chance to do the same for you one day.   

Tuffythepug
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: March 01, 2009, 01:33:07 AM »

Ok I wish I'd seen this earlier.   Here's my experience of two days ago:    I spent about 1 1/2hrs on travelocity trying to make reservations for a flight and hotel.    Flight was not much of a problem.  Hotel was much trickier.  I wanted a package that would give me a discount on both flight and hotel for just a couple of nights.   I didn't have any recommendations at the time so I went soley on price that was within my budget and on-line reviews.    I didn't even have a map of Vancouver at the time.  My first 3 choices of hotels failed because they were totally booked and didn't have a room available for the 16th and 17th.
So my 4th choice was the Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites on Comax St.  in the West End.  It appears to be a decent hotel with good reviews and a reasonable price.    Now it appears that the hotels that are being recommended are clustered in an area closer to the central part of the city and to the Larrivee factory.
Since I've already made a reservation and received my itenerary for flight and hotel it's rather late to do anything about it.   Please tell me that I didn't make a huge mistake here.    I was beginning to think I might not be able to book a room at all by the time I found this place.  As I told Danny the other day:  All I really care about is a clean and safe place to sleep.  I suppose my cab ride to the factory may cost a few more dollars.....  Oh well. 
For anyone who hasn't made a reservation, it may not be as easy as you think.  The hotels appear to be filling up fast.
Tell me guys,,,   you locals.......    Am I in a bad spot ?

Tuffythepug

Lynn, the west side of the City of Vancouver is the preferred "address" --- more character and upscale. (No offense to Eastside residents - I lived on the Southeast of Vancouver - Champlain Heights during my time there.)

I think my wife and I may be renting a car... so we can even pick you up from your hotel.

I'm trying to get accommodations on the East side of town hopefully better prices.

ricky
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: March 01, 2009, 01:38:40 AM »

If any of you are looking for cheaper hotels.. I'd recommend coquitlam

Jeffrey

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: March 01, 2009, 06:01:34 AM »

My wife and I have found a good price at    Century Plaza Hotel  1015 BURRARD Vancouver, BC .  Seems to have some good reviews -

Any locals got any warnings before we finalize?

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: March 01, 2009, 06:11:57 AM »

Tad;

Good stuff;
- great location, only a few (short) blocks to Robson street, shopping resturants
- Tom Lee music often has a great selection of Larrivee's including seconds, they are two blocks away....
- was clean and tidy last time i was in there.

Not as good stuff;
- It's been around since the 60's so getting a bit long in the tooth, last time i was in there (maybe 10 years ago) it needed reno's, even tho it was a block from our office we elected to put folks up in the newer hotels nearer the Granville bridge and let then walk the extra two blocks.
- Not much of an ocean view from there

I would ask if they have reno'd recently - unless the price is so stonking hot that it's worth a trip down 60's memory lane ;-)

d.
dazdarren

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: March 01, 2009, 06:58:33 AM »

we elected to put folks up in the newer hotels nearer the Granville bridge and let then walk the extra two blocks.

which newer hotels would you recommend?  Thanks
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: March 01, 2009, 07:22:57 AM »

which newer hotels would you recommend?  Thanks

ES335 recomended this place;
Quality Hotel Downtown‎ (four stars)
1335 Howe St., Vancouver, BC V6Z 1R7‎ - (604) 682-0229

I drove past it and it's new and shinny, a vast improvement over the old one that was a block away

in the same area of Howe Street there's a quite a few decent hotels, i here's a goggle page with then from a post i made a few days ago;
Howe street hotels
Here's a link to some "not to expensive"hotels...
google reasonable hotels in Vancouver

The advantage to "A" is it's close to Mike's house, but kinda in the middle of nowhere as far a tourist facilities, about 10 min to Larrivee's workshop.
The advantages to B, G & E is that they are close to downtown, the seawall, Standly Park, and Granville island is a short foot ferry ride, so a good location, i have had biz contact's stay in all three, about 10 min to Larrivee as well

C, D, E, F & I are all further away, and not as much access to the cool things Vancouver has to offer.

I have no experience with "H", but if folks are interested i can stop by and sus it out

i would avoid "J", really.... unless scoring some crack is a proirity, but then you have to step over the dead junkie on the stairs to get to it......

Tuffy is going to the Coast Merdian on Deman, about a 10-15 min walk from Howe street, and it's really close to the Park (and Bob Marly stayed there.. you may get a contact high still...)

On that map Tuffy is staying near the words " West End", and Larrivee's workshop is near the words "Hasting East", the Howe street hotels are that pile of red locators downtown.

d.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #268 on: March 01, 2009, 09:13:30 AM »

Actually I'll be at the Coast Plaza at 1763 Comox St.  Still same area though, I believe.
I got a package deal with flight but the hotel portion was $146 for two nights.

Tuffythepug
es-335

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: March 01, 2009, 04:28:57 PM »

$146 for two nights!!!!!! that is an amazing deal...

Jeffrey

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #270 on: March 01, 2009, 04:40:43 PM »

$146 for two nights!!!!!! that is an amazing deal...

I thought so too.   Check out Travelocity.    Jim Holler recommended it to me and it seemed to be a good way to go.
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: March 01, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »

Same place Tuffy, i got the name wrong, but Bob Marley is correct...

Great deal!

Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2009, 01:10:23 AM »

Lynn, the west side of the City of Vancouver is the preferred "address" --- more character and upscale. (No offense to Eastside residents - I lived on the Southeast of Vancouver - Champlain Heights during my time there.)

I think my wife and I may be renting a car... so we can even pick you up from your hotel.

I'm trying to get accommodations on the East side of town hopefully better prices.

ricky

No offense taken. The East Side is where all the cool people (ie musicians) live. But only because we can't afford to live on the west side.

Seriously though, one thing worth knowing is that the word "west" is used in a somewhat confusing way in Vancouver. Here's a simple primer:

"west side" = the western half of the main body of the city, technically starting at Ontario Street and going west to UBC.

"west end" = the western part of downtown adjacent to Stanley Park.

"West Vancouver" = not part of Vancouver proper at all,  actually on the north shore, and the place where all the really rich people who keep their money in offshore accounts live.

Mike

es-335

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: March 02, 2009, 02:41:32 AM »

No offense taken. The East Side is where all the cool people (ie musicians) live. But only because we can't afford to live on the west side.

Seriously though, one thing worth knowing is that the word "west" is used in a somewhat confusing way in Vancouver. Here's a simple primer:

"west side" = the western half of the main body of the city, technically starting at Ontario Street and going west to UBC.

"west end" = the western part of downtown adjacent to Stanley Park.

"West Vancouver" = not part of Vancouver proper at all,  actually on the north shore, and the place where all the really rich people who keep their money in offshore accounts live.

Mike

Well sorted!!

Jeffrey

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2009, 02:45:57 AM »

Mike, I think my wife and I will be staying fairly close to you at a friends house for several days and then we may get a hotel for the last two nights.
                                                         Danny

prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2009, 04:18:31 AM »

Looks like I'll be heading south of Seattle that weekend instead of north.  The just-graduated son will likely be visiting one of his choices for grad school in Oregon.  The wife wants to visit thrift stores down there and I just want to get out of town.  So put me down for "doubtful".

Play it daily for best results.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2009, 12:38:33 PM »

Looks like I'll be heading south of Seattle that weekend instead of north.  The just-graduated son will likely be visiting one of his choices for grad school in Oregon.  The wife wants to visit thrift stores down there and I just want to get out of town.  So put me down for "doubtful".
                Thanks for the update Norm, but I hope that changes and we get to see you at the tour.     Danny

lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »

To the Vancouverites, just curious, but where is the Entertainment district?

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »

To the Vancouverites, just curious, but where is the Entertainment district?

Wherever we congregate will be the entertainment district...
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »

Wherever we congregate will be the entertainment district...

Lynn, you're a riot this morning! 

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
Pages: 1 ... 13 [14] 15 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: