Tour of Larrivee Vancouver >>> IS March 16, 2009 <<<

Started by Randy_R, February 04, 2009, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here's a link to some "not to expensive"hotels...
google reasonable hotels in Vancouver

The advantage to "A" is it's close to Mike's house, but kinda in the middle of nowhere as far a tourist facilities, about 10 min to Larrivee's workshop.
The advantages to B, G & E is that they are close to downtown, the seawall, Standly Park, and Granville island is a short foot ferry ride, so a good location, i have had biz contact's stay in all three, about 10 min to Larrivee as well

C, D, E, F & I are all further away, and not as much access to the cool things Vancouver has to offer.

I have no experience with "H", but if folks are interested i can stop by and sus it out

i would avoid "J", really.... unless scoring some crack is a proirity, but then you have to step over the dead junkie on the stairs to get to it......

questions?

;-)

d.

Personally, I had planned to stay in the downtown core.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Days Inn Vancouver Downtown (three stars)
921 West Pender st., Vancouver, BC V6C 1M2‎ - (604) 681-4335‎
Close to the factory and Stanley park.

Quality Hotel Downtown‎ (four stars)
1335 Howe St., Vancouver, BC V6Z 1R7‎ - (604) 682-0229‎
Close to English Bay(must see :+1:)
A little bit farther away from the factory but still close enough!

These are my recommendations... :)

Jeffrey

Quality Inn is in the same area as the other downtown hotels, near the Grandville Street bridge, that would be my choice of those two, i have not had anyone i know stay there, and i think there's a liquor store in the basement that can get pretty loud when the bars close for the night

I'll drive by there tomorow morning and refresh me memory....

And the Days Inn is in a dead zone once the office workers head home for the evening...

d.

Ok I wish I'd seen this earlier.   Here's my experience of two days ago:    I spent about 1 1/2hrs on travelocity trying to make reservations for a flight and hotel.    Flight was not much of a problem.  Hotel was much trickier.  I wanted a package that would give me a discount on both flight and hotel for just a couple of nights.   I didn't have any recommendations at the time so I went soley on price that was within my budget and on-line reviews.    I didn't even have a map of Vancouver at the time.  My first 3 choices of hotels failed because they were totally booked and didn't have a room available for the 16th and 17th.
So my 4th choice was the Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites on Comax St.  in the West End.  It appears to be a decent hotel with good reviews and a reasonable price.    Now it appears that the hotels that are being recommended are clustered in an area closer to the central part of the city and to the Larrivee factory.
Since I've already made a reservation and received my itenerary for flight and hotel it's rather late to do anything about it.   Please tell me that I didn't make a huge mistake here.    I was beginning to think I might not be able to book a room at all by the time I found this place.  As I told Danny the other day:  All I really care about is a clean and safe place to sleep.  I suppose my cab ride to the factory may cost a few more dollars.....  Oh well. 
For anyone who hasn't made a reservation, it may not be as easy as you think.  The hotels appear to be filling up fast.
Tell me guys,,,   you locals.......    Am I in a bad spot ?

Tuffythepug

Quote from: tuffythepug on February 26, 2009, 11:37:24 PM
Ok I wish I'd seen this earlier.   Here's my experience of two days ago:    I spent about 1 1/2hrs on travelocity trying to make reservations for a flight and hotel.    Flight was not much of a problem.  Hotel was much trickier.  I wanted a package that would give me a discount on both flight and hotel for just a couple of nights.   I didn't have any recommendations at the time so I went soley on price that was within my budget and on-line reviews.    I didn't even have a map of Vancouver at the time.  My first 3 choices of hotels failed because they were totally booked and didn't have a room available for the 16th and 17th.
So my 4th choice was the Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites on Comax St.  in the West End.  It appears to be a decent hotel with good reviews and a reasonable price.    Now it appears that the hotels that are being recommended are clustered in an area closer to the central part of the city and to the Larrivee factory.
Since I've already made a reservation and received my itenerary for flight and hotel it's rather late to do anything about it.   Please tell me that I didn't make a huge mistake here.    I was beginning to think I might not be able to book a room at all by the time I found this place.  As I told Danny the other day:  All I really care about is a clean and safe place to sleep.  I suppose my cab ride to the factory may cost a few more dollars.....  Oh well. 
For anyone who hasn't made a reservation, it may not be as easy as you think.  The hotels appear to be filling up fast.
Tell me guys,,,   you locals.......    Am I in a bad spot ?

Tuffythepug

Actually, that's a really cool location - I wouldn't sweat it at all. You're just a couple of blocks from English Bay, Stanley Park and just off Denman Street which has a whole pile of very nice, reasonably priced restaurants as well as some higher end stuff.

Mike

tuffythepug,
Westend is the place to be!  :+1:
I can't comment on the hotel, but it is a very safe area and nice place to be!
My wife and I used to go on dates there all the time!
Jeffrey

Anything in downtown or the west end is going to be a) reasonably close to Larrivee and b) very close to whatever other amenities you might wish to take advantage of!

Mike

maybe you will be able to run into David Pratt............... :humour: (little joke for Vancouver folks....)
Jeffrey

coast plaza is where we often put biz visitors... a great place, and actualy what the person in our office suggested first, but one person i mentioned it to thought it a was bit pricy.. so i started in a bit lower price catgory...

ask for a view over the park...

and back in 93 we started a company out of there.. ran a pile of computers in seven rooms with the connection cables running across the halls... made the first   tests for what became the first computer animated tv series; "ReBoot!" there...

good choice...

where we get a jam room going it will not be far away....

d.

Quote from: Vancouver Southpaw on February 26, 2009, 11:49:06 PM

Actually, that's a really cool location - I wouldn't sweat it at all. You're just a couple of blocks from English Bay, Stanley Park and just off Denman Street which has a whole pile of very nice, reasonably priced restaurants as well as some higher end stuff.

Mike
See Lynn, I told ya so.  :tongue: This will all work out for everyone going. :thumbsup

Just thought I would mention that vancouver.com has some decent rates, but you must prepay in advance.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I drove past the Quality today.. it's fine, no liguor store, beside a couple of the other hotels mentioned..

here's a webcam from an office a block away from the Quality inn;
webcam

;-)

d.

Quote from: dermot on February 27, 2009, 06:27:50 PM
I drove past the Quality today.. it's fine, no liguor store, beside a couple of the other hotels mentioned..

here's a webcam from an office a block away from the Quality inn;
webcam

;-)

d.

Those webcam's are cool, I have one down in the Smokey Mtn's that I like to check every once in awhile.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Hi.  I'm still sitting on the fence waiting to see if my schedule will allow me to attend but can someone please remind me what the agenda is for the 16th.  Believe it was lunch, tour, jam?  Does anyone have any further details on timing/location of it all.  How is the jam going to work since those flying in are unlikely to bring a guitar and I'm not sure the FGIIIs will be ready for us to take with us (nor would I want to fly home with mine and risk damage by the airline)

Quote from: dazdarren on February 28, 2009, 01:06:23 AM
Hi.  I'm still sitting on the fence waiting to see if my schedule will allow me to attend but can someone please remind me what the agenda is for the 16th.  Believe it was lunch, tour, jam?  Does anyone have any further details on timing/location of it all.  How is the jam going to work since those flying in are unlikely to bring a guitar and I'm not sure the FGIIIs will be ready for us to take with us (nor would I want to fly home with mine and risk damage by the airline)
It is just a sketch right now, pretty much what you just said. Meet at the factory, lunch, tour and jam. That's all that has been discussed. No more definite details yet.
                    However Mike has offered his place to jam at, if something else is not arranged. d. has offered to allow careful playing of some of his gits.(not sure how far that goes). Some are coming from Seattle and could bring a git also.
                     As far as the F-III's being finished and ready to take back with us, I don't know. It looks like that would be a stretch at this point. They need time for the finish to cure on the shelf also, even if they were complete.
                     But if mine was ready, I would take it back with me. I have flown with gits several times with no issues at all. I store them in the overhead compartment, so I'm with them all the time. But I know some have fears about them being put in baggage so I understand where you are coming from. (The times I put mine in baggage have been fine though.)
                                         Right now, all I know is be ready to be flexible.
                        Jim Holler should give us more information as we get closer to the date.

Danny

i'm cool with anyone who will take some care to play the ones that have mojo already;
Martin D18
Martin custom 12 fret D (sitka/mahog)
Webber roundbody
Gibson B45-12
Dobro model 19

and i'm cool with anyone who will take ALOT of care to play two that are living room queens;
Larrivee OM19
Martin custom 12 fret D (sitka/Irw)

Most everything is strung with Ej19's and stupid low action... the 12 string has lights, the Dobro has high action....

This lot should fill up the back of my Pathfinder...

So there's start folks....

d.

Dermot
That is extremely generous of you.,  I'm sure anyone who plays one of your guitars will use the same caution they would use with their own prized instruments.
Now.............if we could just come up with a lefty I'd be all set too !   :nana_guitar
hint, hint

Tuffythepug

Quote from: tuffythepug on February 28, 2009, 10:26:42 AM

Now.............if we could just come up with a lefty I'd be all set too !   :nana_guitar
hint, hint

Tuffythepug

I believe I already offered you mine in our private correspondence. Huh?

Mike