Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tour of Larrivee Vancouver >>> IS March 16, 2009 <<<  (Read 82482 times)
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: February 20, 2009, 06:40:53 PM »

Mike, thanks very much for your post. Very informative. 

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #201 on: February 20, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »

The Larrivee facility is actually located in a pretty run-down area just to the east of downtown. It's not far to any of the downtown hotels and a cab ride there from a downtown hotel couldn't be much more than $5. There must be buses that run close by but it's such a short distance that I wouldn't even bother as the fare wouldn't be any cheaper than a cab especially if you're in a group of two or more people. A walk from downtown to Larrivee would take you through our infamous downtown east side, which is not dangerous as long as you don't get into any heated arguments over a crack deal.

There are a fair number of reasonably priced, older hotels on Robson Street which is the trendiest shopping area in the west end of downtown. There's also a Holiday Inn Express at Hastings & Renfrew, very close to my place and probably equidistant from Larrivee as the downtown hotels. This might be relevant to some folks if the jam happens.

Since I live here I haven't had much experience with the hotels, but I have lots of favourite restaurants, mostly Asian cuisines - East Indian, Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc, etc. Some of these are located in the Robson/Denman area in the west end. I'm not so much up on the best places for what I've come to somewhat bemusedly (thanks to a Chinese ex-girlfriend) refer to as "white people food."

There are many vibrant and unique neighbourhoods in Vancouver worth exploring and it's really not that big a place. I live near the eastern edge of the city and can drive downtown in about 10 minutes, a little more at peak periods. The best clusters of shopping/eating can be found in Commercial Drive (gritty/colourul), Main Street/King Edward (lots of indie fashion boutiques, up and coming area), Kitsilano (once a hippie domain, now painfully Gucci), and the West End (adjacent to downtown on one side and Stanley Park on the other, a very mixed neighbourhood).

Hope this helps, fire away with specific questions either on the forum or by pm.

Mike

OK   how much is the crack ? 

JUST KIDDING !

Really Mike, that is a lot of helpful information.  I'm sure many of us will benefit by your sharing these insights.   I only wish I could have more time to explore your city.  Maybe I can at least get a flavor for it and come back again with the missus for a longer stay. This is pretty much a "Mission from God" and I've gotta get in and out.
Thank you very much !
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2009, 01:39:54 AM »

Mike - if you could give us the address of the factory, we could do a little google and mapquest work, and figure out what our best options might be for lodging, meals, bailbonds, etc. . . .

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2009, 01:43:10 AM »

Mike - if you could give us the address of the factory, we could do a little google and mapquest work, and figure out what our best options might be for lodging, meals, bailbonds, etc. . . .

Tad
  Also pastrie shops , we need to take a load of goodies to the factory folks (donuts ya know  )

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2009, 02:26:35 AM »

Larrivee is located at 780 East Cordova Street, Vancouver, BC

ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2009, 12:16:53 PM »

I sure wish I was making this trip with you folks... However, I will be in Vancouver in early June, with a few lay over days, so I'll likely drop by then. I haven't been to the newest factory, the last time was at the older place in 1997.

Vancouver is a great city.

Ron

Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2009, 07:45:12 PM »

Also pastrie shops , we need to take a load of goodies to the factory folks (donuts ya know  )

I'm not much of a donut person nor have I yet required the services of a bail bondsman, but there are several excellent bakeries on or around Commercial Drive not far from Larrivee, ranging from decadent Italian (Fratelli Bakery, 1795 Commercial) to health-conscious (Uprising Breads, 1697 Venables, just off the north end of the Drive retail strip) and several others. There are also some good Chinese bakeries along Hastings between Victoria and Nanaimo, again very close to Larrivee.

Which brings me to wonder aloud why Tim Horton's seems to not have made much of an impact in Vancouver. They're ubiquitous in most other parts of Canada, much as Starbucks is here.

Mike

Re taking goodies to Larrivee, do we know how many people work there and are we taking something for ALL of them?!
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »

I guess we need to find out the employee total so we can supply everyone with some goodies.

Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »

Does anyone know if Jean will be there? I would make the trip if I could get him to sign my guitar...

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2009, 10:23:28 PM »

Does anyone know if Jean will be there? I would make the trip if I could get him to sign my guitar...
I don't know, but if you are buying an F-III he is signing every label. I had thought of this also, and that Matthew may be there on one of his truck runs. I think that would be more icing on the cake.

bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2009, 10:46:03 PM »

All the F3's are being signed by Jean.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2009, 10:56:23 PM »

I was going to bring my LV-10MR. I live in Spokane, so I would have stay to overnight, but would make the trip if Jean was going to be available. Maybe one of the organizers could confirm or deny his presence?

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: February 22, 2009, 10:33:20 PM »

Joseph
It's asking a lot but... OK...I'll drink a beer for you.   Would you like me to take your forum III for a spin too ????    I'll be taking lots of pics so you can join in the festivities after the fact and vicariously.
Are you absolutely sure you can't make it ?

Lynn

Most likely.  I am trying to get a $800 travel credit re-instated by Air Canada that has expired, so if anyone has any "connections" I could use the help.  They have a customer problem resolution system and I have sent in the request and am waiting to hear something back.  They never bothered to mention to me that my credit had an expiration date.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: February 22, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »

Most likely.  I am trying to get a $800 travel credit re-instated by Air Canada that has expired, so if anyone has any "connections" I could use the help.  They have a customer problem resolution system and I have sent in the request and am waiting to hear something back.  They never bothered to mention to me that my credit had an expiration date.

How long ago did it expire?

bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: February 22, 2009, 11:03:53 PM »

How long ago did it expire?

Oct 25, 2008.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: February 22, 2009, 11:28:23 PM »

Oct 25, 2008.

I would imagine you're SOL, but good luck trying.

pigtown

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2009, 01:36:04 PM »

The Larrivee facility is actually located in a pretty run-down area just to the east of downtown. It's not far to any of the downtown hotels and a cab ride there from a downtown hotel couldn't be much more than $5.

There are many vibrant and unique neighbourhoods in Vancouver worth exploring and it's really not that big a place. I live near the eastern edge of the city and can drive downtown in about 10 minutes, a little more at peak periods. The best clusters of shopping/eating can be found in Commercial Drive (gritty/colourul), Main Street/King Edward (lots of indie fashion boutiques, up and coming area), Kitsilano (once a hippie domain, now painfully Gucci), and the West End (adjacent to downtown on one side and Stanley Park on the other, a very mixed neighbourhood).

Hope this helps, fire away with specific questions either on the forum or by pm.

Mike

Darn, wish I could go.  I've been to Vancouver twice but that was 20 years ago.  Is there still Gastown??  I was imagining the Larrivee factory was near there.  Ahh...Gastown, Granville Island, Stanley Park, South Beach... sigh

Greg
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2009, 01:47:12 PM »

Here is an update:            This is who we think is going as of 2/24/09

1. Jim H   Trinity Guitars
2. Danny  dependan
3. Ricky    rpm60912
4. Dermot or d. dermot    d. has offered to help folks in Vancouver
5. John   Johnny37
6. Lynda   lyricgirl
7. Lynn   Tuffy the pug
8. Tad    Tadol             *Plus our three wives (Tad, ricky and me)
9. Jordan  Jagidas
10. Mike   Vancouver Southpaw
11. Mark  Larrivee4me
12. Michael   mrkillick
13. Matt    Photomat           *Matt has offered hospitality in Lynnwood Wa. just north of Seattle and a Drive up Monday AM.                                              *Joseph   Bluesman67   is checking into coming also 
14. Norm    prof_stack
15. Darren     dazdarren              Darren is conflicted ;-)
16. and 17. Two Guests of Matt,(Photomat) are also coming DaveG and K20C

Vancouver Southpaw

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »

Darn, wish I could go.  I've been to Vancouver twice but that was 20 years ago.  Is there still Gastown??  I was imagining the Larrivee factory was near there.  Ahh...Gastown, Granville Island, Stanley Park, South Beach... sigh

Greg

Yes, there's still Gastown. These days it's a bizarre mix of tourist traps, bars, overpriced converted lofts for yuppies, and street people. Quite schizophrenic, much like Vancouver in general.

Mike
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2009, 08:30:17 AM »

I was imagining the Larrivee factory was near there.  Ahh...Gastown, Granville Island, Stanley Park, South Beach... sigh

we don't have a south beach, but we do have a wreck beach... March might be a little bit cold tho....

;-)

d.
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: